Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phantasy Star Portable

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 31, 2008

The first iteration of the popular Phantasy Star series for the PSP. The game features a single player campaign, local ad-hoc multiplayer, DLC updates, and the ability to transfer characters from PC/PS2 in Japan.

Anyone playing this?

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By sarahsdad

I liked the look of this from the demo, but wasn't quite sure enough to pick it up at full price. So, has anyone played through the game (either version)?

If so, how does it stack up against other 3D dungeon crawlers on PSP?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

I just played the demo, I didn't think it's very good, I think they ruined PSO with PSU and this. On the other hand it got good reviews, better than PSU I think, so maybe I misjudged it.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_
    sarahsdad said:
    "If so, how does it stack up against other 3D dungeon crawlers on PSP?"
    It's one of the better ones. I actually liked crafting my own items (I always do) in Phantasy Star Universe (the demo, at least), but PSP has taken those out in favor of item drops, which I must admit are much more fun. The character customization isn't anything new at all, but the graphics are pretty good for the amount of action that can go on in the battles (you and 3 allies vs. 8-10 enemies) and the framerate never skips much at all. The story is completely negligible, but the challenge of the later S-rank missions and the drive to level up all of your job classes and get all of the S-rank weapons can be really addicting, even if the core gameplay might seem boring at first. Arts and all those other extra things help spice it up a bit. If you liked the demo, you'll like what the full game has to offer (obviously).

Competition for dungeon crawlers looks like it'll be stepped up a bit this year though. Class of Heroes is looking really good and the Persona PSP remake is nothing to shake a stick at. So if you don't mind waiting a little bit (and a much longer bit, in the case of Persona), you could look into those too. I would recommend any at this point (although I haven't gotten to play CoH yet).
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ArchScabby

gambus kahn is.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

There's always Monster Hunter if you want something in the PSO vein but more hardcore. It could be too hardcore though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.