Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phil Fish

Person » credited in 5 games

A French Canadian game designer and the co-founder of Polytron Corporation.

About Phil Fish

• 158 results
    pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By pr1mus

@pr1mus said:

Phillipe Poisson

ahahahahha

But yeah, I really like him. I imagine people don't like him because he doesn't bullshit anyone. Says what he thinks even when it's not popular, which can be offensive to some people if they don't agree.

It's actually his real name!

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Kerned

@shadowconqueror: Yeah, there is truth to what he said in that regard. There are major exceptions though (like Dark Souls).

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By connerthekewlkid
    Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: Is it really?? I was wondering when I saw you post that earlier. That's amazing.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

it was because of the whole quote where he said he thought japanese games sucks. came off very elitist

but he did apologize soon afterwards though, dude seems like he can be still pretentious

If you really wanna know why people are so upset look at his current ranting on twitter from the past few days.

the nintendo thing? he was joking around, doesnt excuse the attitude, but dude was joking around.

You mean the part where he blocked everyone who didn't agree with him on the subject and only repiled to people complimenting him? Then when he threw Destructoid under the bus after that?

Yea sure was a funny joke

and don't forgot his choice words of "Choke on my D*ck" and "Suck it Down"

He blocked dudes who were throwing hate over some shit he said on twitter. I woulda told them to fuck off too. Also throwing Destructoid under a bus for posting a game developers irrelevant twitter updates as news, with a hefty dose of snark, is entirely justified.

When also asked why he decided to port Fez to the PC after be quoted as saying "PCs are for spreadsheets" in a reddit AMA he simply replied "For profit".

just saw the tweets you were talking about...............oh boy..................ok im converted back, dude is a pretentious asshole. he is obviously trolling around, but those tweets still have him come off like a real prick.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By pr1mus
    @kerned said:

@pr1mus: Is it really?? I was wondering when I saw you post that earlier. That's amazing.

You can even see it in Indie Game The Movie when he's showing the game he made as a kid with his father.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@planetfunksquad said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

it was because of the whole quote where he said he thought japanese games sucks. came off very elitist

but he did apologize soon afterwards though, dude seems like he can be still pretentious

If you really wanna know why people are so upset look at his current ranting on twitter from the past few days.

the nintendo thing? he was joking around, doesnt excuse the attitude, but dude was joking around.

You mean the part where he blocked everyone who didn't agree with him on the subject and only repiled to people complimenting him? Then when he threw Destructoid under the bus after that?

He blocked dudes who were throwing hate over some shit he said on twitter. I woulda told them to fuck off too. Also throwing Destructoid under a bus for posting a game developers irrelevant twitter updates as news, with a hefty dose of snark, is entirely justified.

When also asked why he decided to port Fez to the PC after be quoted as saying "PCs are for spreadsheets" in a reddit AMA he simply replied "For profit".

just saw the tweets you were talking about...............oh boy..................ok im converted back, dude is a pretentious asshole. he is obviously trolling around, but those tweets still have him come off like a real prick.

Yeh I dont want to hate em but the guy has said alot of stuff if you just dig for it that most people dont really know about.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kortex said:

@ll_exile_ll: Don't you think that it is a valid opinion by an artist (that's right, I said it) like Jonathan Blow who is trying to express himself and deliver something to his audience and who feels people just didn't get the message? And does he not have the right to express his disappointment?

If we have the right to criticize his work, why shouldn't he be allowed to criticize our part in the creative process. The reader writes the text. And if the reader fucks up, well... then the text is fucked. You could blame the writer/artist for not delivering a good enough base for interpretation but that's a total different argument than "Jonathan Blow is full of it".

It's valid to be disappointed, but from what he was saying in Indie Game: The Movie, I have a feeling like he wanted people to see his game the way HE sees it. I think he's putting too much pressure on people to see things his way. It's normal that he sees his game in a very deep and personal level, since he's lived and breathed with the damn thing for 2-3 years. But expecting your audience to have the same deep understanding as you sets you up for disappointment.

Also maybe it's because he revels in the fact that he creates "art games," like he's some kind of outsider who's coming in and teaching video game developers how to make games into art. We already have games that are art, Phil. Pac-Man is art. Fez? Eh, the jury's still out on that one.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

I haven't read the whole thread so maybe this was mentioned already, but didn't he tell people to choke on his dick after he won an award for Fez or something? I could be thinking of someone else, but I thought that was one reason why some people disliked him.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@planetfunksquad said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

Yeh I dont want to hate em but the guy has said alot of stuff if you just dig for it that most people dont really know about.

true, but then also he still has a elitist attitude to him though, that still came through on the gdc show today i thought, so people i think still get a sense of how he is.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@voxel said:

I haven't read the whole thread so maybe this was mentioned already, but didn't he tell people to choke on his dick after he won an award for Fez or something? I could be thinking of someone else, but I thought that was one reason why some people disliked him.

He said that but he said it along with "suck it down" to Microsoft about their policies or something (which are the same as Sony's)

before the game was even out and Microsoft could still just kick him to the side of the road.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@mrfluke: Thats what i was trying to point out here.

Most people said he was okay just from seeing him on the show but didnt bother looking back at his past comments and seeing he has the ego the size of Jupiters orbit

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid: will be very interesting to see how the comments shake out once the archive is posted.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By mrpandaman

He said Japanese games industry sucks. If you shame glorious Nippon, you should commit sudoku!

Sudoku... huh... lol

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

He's a bit of a prick.

Jonathan Blow is pretentious as fuck.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@pr1mus said:
    @ajamafalous said:

@pr1mus said:

Phillipe Poisson

ahahahahha

But yeah, I really like him. I imagine people don't like him because he doesn't bullshit anyone. Says what he thinks even when it's not popular, which can be offensive to some people if they don't agree.

It's actually his real name!

Oh wow, it totally is! That's even funnier.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I found him to be kind of a pretentious douche in all his twittering, but he was totally cool on the stream. Huh.

Sidewalkchalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the consistent response of "he was being sarcastic!"

Come on. Are you that gullible?

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw said:

He said Japanese games industry sucks. If you shame glorious Nippon, you should commit sudoku!

Sudoku... huh... lol

Its a secret club inside joke

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He smells like a hipster.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By kishinfoulux

Fish, Blow and other indie devs just come off as super douchey, arrogant, etc. They get so hot and bothered by big budget games. There is room for everyone.

I don't get it either. They're both awesome. And Phil's right about Japanese games.

No he's really not.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I really like Phil Fish, and especially Jonathan Blow.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#73  Edited By Sooty

Because he's a twat.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I read his comment on Japan I figured he was trying to make a point but being hyperbolic about it. After watching Indie Game: The Movie I grew to sympathize with him. He's just an opinionated guy trying to achieve his vision and you don't get to do that without breaking a few eggs along the way.

He can be rude at times, which means blunt, which means being honest with himself and the person he is speaking to and some people can't take that sort of blatant honesty.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't care one way or another, but people seem to dislike him for some specific tweets me made. Mainly - "The Japanese gaming industry is rubbish" and "Fez won't be on PC, PCs are for paperwork, not games".

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the consistent response of "he was being sarcastic!"

Come on. Are you that gullible?

Are you fucking serious? I watched the stream yesterday and saw him talk a bunch of shit that, if he had put on twitter, would have had a bunch of people fucking pissed at him, but, here, it was totally clear he was joking around. Are you that completely jaded that you can't accept the possibility that maybe, just maybe, Phil Fish isn't a complete fucking dickwad?

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By DeeGee

I think he's great. To each their own, I suppose.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#78  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I can see why people don't like him. He has strong opinions and says them without any subtlety. He can come across as quite assholey at times.

But I like the guy. He's passionate about the gaming industry and he shows his emotions so openly. I don't necessarily agree with all his views or the way he chooses to express them, but I can respect someone who voices his opinion so openly and with such passion. He's kinda like Peter Molyneux in that respect. Molyneux has way more class than Fish, though.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@deegee said:

I think he's great. To each their own, I suppose.

Yeah, same here. I've never had a problem with him. I mean the whole Japanese games incident was a bit iffy, but I certainly did not come to hate him for it.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He really doesn't do himself any favors with the silly comments he makes. I don't think he's like the worst guy ever but I understand why people wouldn't like him from the comments he makes and how he presents himself. Even though he is a talented developer, its hard to defend him when he acts like a douche.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#81  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

He's right about the Japanese industry though, just looking at my stack of PS1 and PS2 games 95% of them are Japanese, where as my Xbox 360 and PS3 stack 95% of them are Western.

Remember when the new Final Fantasy and Resident Evil games were the most anticipated games of the year? I do.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By EuanDewar

I dunno he seems like a pretty cool dude who i would be down to chill with

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By zels

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

The guy is a joke. When he releases a game that has any impact above and beyond Fez I will back down. Until then, he's an alcoholic egomaniac with a huge problem admitting fault. He's also just a fucking asshole.

Wait, if you don't like Phil Fish "because he's an asshole" then how do you live with yourself?

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By neurotic

I've never seen him or really heard him say anything other than through all the hate he gets. He seemed fine and provided a funny or two, although he needs a haircut and a shave. I thought he sounded a little 'far-out' when talking about virtual reality but, hey, he knows more about how close we are to that than I do so whatever.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Clonedzero

i watched that indie game movie, and he came off as really self-important. that movie was all sorts of weird, i dont get why its so highly recommended around these parts.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i watched that indie game movie, and he came off as really self-important. that movie was all sorts of weird, i dont get why its so highly recommended around these parts.

Really? I thought he came across as a guy who had everything in his life invested in a project that could make or break him and after several years, he was getting fucked by external forces and a passionate and opinionated guy was venting and trying to keep it all from falling apart before him.

Tommy got a lot of shit for what he said in the movie, too, because his comments about working on AAA games were taken a little too seriously. *shrug*

People kind of need to chill. He's just a dude like other dudes.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

People don't like him for the same reason a lot of folk dislike Patrick and thats because he expresses his opinions poorly and often times in a derogatory way towards the subject matter.

It's not that he has strong opinions and people get butt hurt because they don't agree. You can have your own opinion and say it in such a way that isn't demeaning. It's all about how you express yourself. Patrick might not like Metal Gear fiction but there's something to be said about casually stating "Metal Gear fiction is shit" but then go on to praise Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. Likewise Phil might not think Japanese games are very good right now, but the way he said it to that Japanese developer was sort of uncalled for especially in a public panel.

David Jaffe has strong opinions but he doesn't come off quite as aggressive in expressing them even though he's really intense. I think it all comes down to experience and age. With time Phil might learn to word his answers better but who knows, he seems to be wearing his negative reputation like a badge of pride these days which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's also not the greatest thing either.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Branthog

@humanity said:

People don't like him for the same reason a lot of folk dislike Patrick and thats because he expresses his opinions poorly and often times in a derogatory way towards the subject matter.

It's not that he has strong opinions and people get butt hurt because they don't agree. You can have your own opinion and say it in such a way that isn't demeaning. It's all about how you express yourself. Patrick might not like Metal Gear fiction but there's something to be said about casually stating "Metal Gear fiction is shit" but then go on to praise Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. Likewise Phil might not think Japanese games are very good right now, but the way he said it to that Japanese developer was sort of uncalled for especially in a public panel.

David Jaffe has strong opinions but he doesn't come off quite as aggressive in expressing them even though he's really intense. I think it all comes down to experience and age. With time Phil might learn to word his answers better but who knows, he seems to be wearing his negative reputation like a badge of pride these days which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's also not the greatest thing either.

David Jaffe also seems like a motherfucker that will hunt you down and stab the shit out of you like 800 times if you cross him. Don't get me wrong -- I'm sure he wouldn't do that, but he's got a real Joe Pesci vibe goin' on. Of course, like the others listed, I like him, too.

I don't have to agree with guys like this. I don't even have to like the way they voice their disagreement on some things. We're all adults here and we can take a little judgement of things we like without having to consume it like a pill in a bowl of sweet mush.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Clonedzero

@branthog said:

@clonedzero said:

Really? I thought he came across as a guy who had everything in his life invested in a project that could make or break him and after several years, he was getting fucked by external forces and a passionate and opinionated guy was venting and trying to keep it all from falling apart before him.

Tommy got a lot of shit for what he said in the movie, too, because his comments about working on AAA games were taken a little too seriously. *shrug*

oh dont get me wrong, i dont think he's a bad dude or anything. he kinda IS pretty self-important, but everyone has flaws. i dont think he deserves the hate he gets.

i didnt like the movie because it felt so one-sided and was pushing "this side is evil and we're the free spirited indie game devs!" thing. i mean they push this whole thing about phil fish's old partner being this horrible person dragging out this court case just to "fuck with him". yet we NEVER hear the other side, i HIGHLY doubt the guy was just being vindictive.

the film felt like propaganda rather than a documentary

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog said:

@clonedzero said:

oh dont get me wrong, i dont think he's a bad dude or anything. he kinda IS pretty self-important, but everyone has flaws. i dont think he deserves the hate he gets.

i didnt like the movie because it felt so one-sided and was pushing "this side is evil and we're the free spirited indie game devs!" thing. i mean they push this whole thing about phil fish's old partner being this horrible person dragging out this court case just to "fuck with him". yet we NEVER hear the other side, i HIGHLY doubt the guy was just being vindictive.

the film felt like propaganda rather than a documentary

To be fair, I think the film sort of telegraphed its affinity and bias with its title and it was less about indie game development and more about "these four dudes making these three games". I certainly would have preferred it to be a longer film with a more comprehensive scope, too. With Valve occasionally dipping its toe in the water with film on Steam, it would be fantastic to see someone on there do a regular series that focuses on game development (or even just indie development) in a more open-ended format. Maybe an hour or more per episode, each focusing on one particular developer or game.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

butthurt japanophiles were butthurt by his comment on the Japanese video game industry.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#92  Edited By sweep  Moderator

He's just such a cunt. Fez was a fine game, but he can't provide criticism without being an absolute douchebag. He hasn't accomplished enough to earn that right.

Pretty much this. He was throwing shit around before FEZ was even completed at GDC, and on twitter telling people to go fuck themselves and just generally acting like a bit of a twat. A certain amount of arrogance can be funny if you play it right, but it's a tall order to swallow when he's running around acting like he owns the place just because he made a fucking puzzle game. It makes his games seem pretentious and as a result I find FEZ very difficult to enjoy, despite being completely enamoured with the concept right up until launch.

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Haziqonfire

It's fine to be passionate and be vocal about your opinions, but Phil Fish doesn't know how to without coming off as a douchebag. His Twitter feed over the last few days has been proof that he's a complete douchebag. No one is telling him to only offer praise, but if you're going to criticise things in the manner of "this thing fucking sucks", don't expect people to reply to you with intelligent discussion.

Plus the fact that he uses words like "fag" loosely on is off-putting to me, as I feel like homophobia among the industry needs to stop.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#94  Edited By Humanity

@branthog said:

@humanity said:

David Jaffe also seems like a motherfucker that will hunt you down and stab the shit out of you like 800 times if you cross him. Don't get me wrong -- I'm sure he wouldn't do that, but he's got a real Joe Pesci vibe goin' on. Of course, like the others listed, I like him, too.

I don't have to agree with guys like this. I don't even have to like the way they voice their disagreement on some things. We're all adults here and we can take a little judgement of things we like without having to consume it like a pill in a bowl of sweet mush.

I think the quintessence of being an adult is being able to get your point across without being crass or condescending. I can tell you why I don't like your favorite band in a calm, civil manner or I can tell you it's fucking garbage. I'm sure you'll be more inclined to listen to one of those forms of argumentation over the other. Sure most of us are adults here but that doesn't mean you need to shit all over something to get your point across, but maybe that's just me.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's just such a cunt. Fez was a fine game, but he can't provide criticism without being an absolute douchebag. He hasn't accomplished enough to earn that right.

That's... half true at best. I think that Phil Fish is a natural troll, he just hadn't/hasn't fully realized that. I think that if he realized that 'horrible internet backlash' is the logical result of phrasing something in the most cuntish way possible in an interview or on twitter and chose to not cry about it when it happens then he would reach the 'troll zen' required to fully appreciate and enjoy his powers of abrasion and aggravation.

Fish is probably an okay guy who didn't adjust to the fact that a whole bunch of people who don't know him are suddenly paying undue attention to everything he says.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Branthog

@voxel said:

Like you've never taken the opportunity to tell people to choke on your dig when you get on a stage. :)

gyozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By gyozilla

@mattyftm said:

I can see why people don't like him. He has strong opinions and says them without any subtlety. He can come across as quite assholey at times.

But I like the guy. He's passionate about the gaming industry and he shows his emotions so openly. I don't necessarily agree with all his views or the way he chooses to express them, but I can respect someone who voices his opinion so openly and with such passion. He's kinda like Peter Molyneux in that respect. Molyneux has way more class than Fish, though.

I think there's something to be said about being able to speak your mind without being mean about it. To me, that's not filtering, that's just being a considerate human being. Being open and honest doesn't equate to being mean, and I don't think it should give you a license to do so. People often shit over something or claim they're "not mincing words" for the effect. It's easy to be mean.

@humanity said:

You can have your own opinion and say it in such a way that isn't demeaning.

Sure most of us are adults here but that doesn't mean you need to shit all over something to get your point across, but maybe that's just me.

This.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@authenticm: Opinions on Fish extend well beyond that. You do nothing for yourself by painting the argument along those lines because, while there are cetainly those that are like that, there are others that dislike Fish for more than just that reason, or for other reasons.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@branthog said:

@humanity said:

I think the quintessence of being an adult is being able to get your point across without being crass or condescending. I can tell you why I don't like your favorite band in a calm, civil manner or I can tell you it's fucking garbage. I'm sure you'll be more inclined to listen to one of those forms of argumentation over the other. Sure most of us are adults here but that doesn't mean you need to shit all over something to get your point across, but maybe that's just me.

It depends. I perceive quite a difference between even a flippant statement of something and directly responding to someone by attacking something they like. If you say MGS fucking sucks, that's fine. If I'm talking about how much I enjoy MGS and you respond about how you dislike it, I'd probably expect a reasonable person to offer more than "it fucking sucks", as you mentioned and to use a little tact and give some explanation (otherwise it's not even really a conversation, anyway).

I just sort of see it as the first case; not the second and, therefore I don't really take any issue with it, I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.