Phil Fish - Professional Troll

#1 Edited by Flacracker (1573 posts) -

So Fez is now listed on Steam. And the community and forums are up too! So naturally all of the people upset by his comments from a year ago about their waifu's and anime's are flocking to the forums to scream "Boycott!" So Phil Fish grabs his keyboard to defend himself with this gem:

I thought it was pretty funny.

#2 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

Anyone who takes offense to this man`s words needs to check themselvez

#3 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@killacam said:

Anyone who takes offense to this man`s words needs to check themselvez

before they boycott themselvez

word.

#5 Posted by Chaser324 (6257 posts) -

These Steam boycotts have never worked, and in almost every case they have ended up having the opposite effect.

My only objection is to his use of the word "nerds"...I really hate that word.

#6 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Phil Fish is a cunt, I hope it's all an act.

#7 Posted by Marokai (2785 posts) -

Deliberate and shameless antagonism is the new "in" thing for games press or general industry figures.

#8 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1798 posts) -

Phil Fish is a cunt, it's not an act.

N..no all those times he blocked anyone giving him criticism he was just joking right?

#11 Edited by Turambar (6637 posts) -

How nice of him to grace the spreadsheet machine with his game. So much for artistic integrity of the medium in his games...

#12 Posted by Bollard (5202 posts) -

I love Phil Fish, he's great. I'd react the same if I got the shit he did.

You have to be so blind not to see that he doesn't take this all as a huge joke.

#13 Posted by EXTomar (4445 posts) -

I have no idea what is going on. Who is calling for boycotts? Why should we care?

#14 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1798 posts) -

@turambar said:

How nice of him to grace the spreadsheet machine with his game. So much for artistic integrity of the medium in his games...

I wish i could play it but my PC can only run Excel 2003 :[

#15 Posted by RazielCuts (2906 posts) -

Overall I think Phil Fish could be a nice guy, as the GDC after hours show sort of showed but I'd never want to do business/work with him or get into an argument with him, I can see he'd go postal very easily.

And yeah the word 'nerd' irks me, its like he's trying to create a barrier of 'myself' and 'them', it's all videogames y'all! Unless because he's doing the 'art' games he's above it. Anyway this guy gets talked about enough and he revels in it.

#16 Edited by louiedog (2333 posts) -

You can't go pro without being good at it. Every time he posts something like this it gets talked to death. He could crash NeoGAF's hosting servers by joking about always online DRM for Fez on Steam. People circulating this will probably let another 30 people know that Fez is available for preorder.

These Steam boycotts have never worked, and in almost every case they have ended up having the opposite effect.

My only objection is to his use of the word "nerds"...I really hate that word.

Based on a change that occurred to this thread shortly after your post, I'm thinking there's another word you don't like.

#17 Posted by Turambar (6637 posts) -

@extomar said:

I have no idea what is going on. Who is calling for boycotts? Why should we care?

Stupid people are calling for boycotts. I guess we should care because Fish also made the statement that FEZ is a console game and playing it on the PC takes away from it in an artistic sense. So you know, the usual hypocritical shit.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

waifu's and anime's

1. That's not what Fish's comments of a year ago were about in any sense.

2. You want the plural "s", not the possessive.

#19 Edited by CaLe (3897 posts) -

Fez is a good game. Who cares if he thinks Japanese games suck. Childish reason to boycott something. Short sentences.

#20 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1798 posts) -

@cale said:

Fez is a good game. Who cares if he thinks Japanese games suck. Childish reason to boycott something. Short sentences.

I could literally make a whole page worth of items on why people hate him

#21 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@cale said:

Loud noises.

#22 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

I love Phil Fish, he's great. I'd react the same if I got the shit he did.

@mrsignerman44 said:

You have to be so blind not to see that he doesn't take this all as a huge joke.

But why? What's the point really?

#23 Posted by Turambar (6637 posts) -

@cale: I think his comments on PCs and games have a lot more to do with this...

#24 Posted by Generiko (445 posts) -

I like him, he reminds me of Ryan a lot.

#25 Edited by LibrorumProhibitorum (335 posts) -

I love how he manages to rile people up over saying literally nothing of any substance. People need to stop being hyper sensitive over opinions. Sure his statement on Japanese games was a huge generalization, and I personally don't agree with it, but if that's what he thinks and believes, that is how it is for him.

These aren't GiantBomb users, but even the coverage on this site is pretty misinformed and often blatantly wrong about Japanese games and Japanese game development and a lot of the users on this site who follow Japanese games know this and I'm pretty sure they don't give a shit when Jeff, Patrick or whoever else says something dumb about Japanese games and they probably respond to it like I do by saying to myself "well they don't really know shit about this so whatever". Not that GiantBomb staff don't have valid points about Japanese game development or anything, they sometimes do but it's just not their specialty, obviously.

Basically; who cares? Phil Fish said a thing again.

#26 Edited by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

I'm not a fan of being purposefully abrasive, but I do appreciate that he has a sense of humor about all of this. At a certain point, if people hate you, they're going to hate you regardless of reality. He's chosen to get through it by mocking those whom hate him, and while that isn't necessarily the tactic I'd choose, I think it's a valid way to respond.

It's ridiculous for anyone to be "boycotting" his game, and anyone still hung up about him should lighten up a bit. It's alright not to like what he has said, but some kind of attempted boycott is just silly and childish. Not to mention clearly ineffective and meaningless. It is very much worthy of mocking.

#27 Edited by CaLe (3897 posts) -

@turambar said:

Oh, I thought this was all about the Japanese games stuff. My ignorance precedes me.

#28 Edited by jsnyder82 (725 posts) -

Doesn't really change the fact that Fez is a good game. I used to have it on the 360 before I sold it, so I decided to pre-order it for Steam as well.

Really don't fucking care how much of a dick Phil Fish is.

#29 Posted by Turambar (6637 posts) -

@cale said:

@turambar said:

Oh, I thought this was all about the Japanese games stuff. My ignorance precedes me.

It's probably the first comment that jumps to people's minds, along with Choke on My Dick, but of which are dumb, but ultimately joking comments. But he's said some rather serious, impassioned, abrasive, and now apparently extremely hypocritical shit about PC, spread sheet machines, and the importance of FEZ being a console game for the sake of art.

#30 Posted by JasonR86 (9581 posts) -

Anyone offended by him have too much time on their hands.

#31 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1798 posts) -

I'm not a fan of being purposefully abrasive, but I do appreciate that he has a sense of humor about all of this. At a certain point, if people hate you, they're going to hate you regardless of reality. He's chosen to get through it by mocking those whom hate him, and while that isn't necessarily the tactic I'd choose, I think it's a valid way to respond.

It's ridiculous for anyone to be "boycotting" his game, and anyone still hung up about him should lighten up a bit. It's alright not to like what he has said, but some kind of attempted boycott is just silly and childish. Not to mention clearly ineffective and meaningless. It is very much worthy of mocking.

While i agree both sides are hilarious. I get a bigger laugh out of the side with 25 threads of 4chan and neogaf just talking about waiting around to pirate 50 copies of it

#32 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (335 posts) -

Oh if this has more to do with something other than Japanese video games then, yeah okay, I don't know much of anything about Phil Fish's comments on PCs or whatever else he's done. I just know people get pissed off at everything he says, particularly that Japanese game incident.

I apologise for commenting on something I wasn't entirely clear on. Though I would like to know what he has said to cause everyone in the PC community to hate him.

#33 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

Fez is a fine game and Fish could be a decent guy. He certainly doesn't do himself any favors on twitter with all of the things that he says from time to time. At least he's out spoken unlike many game makers that'd rather let their game speak for themselves.

#34 Edited by Turambar (6637 posts) -

@phatmac said:

Fez is a fine game and Fish could be a decent guy. He certainly doesn't do himself any favors on twitter with all of the things that he says from time to time. At least he's out spoken unlike many game makers that'd rather let their game speak for themselves.

Why do you make that sound like it's a bad thing. If you're a craftsman, shouldn't your craft convey more than your mouth?

#35 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

Phil Fish is great, everything he says brings me joy. And good to hear he didn't actually say anything bad about my waifus and animes, honestly that might've been too much.

#36 Edited by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Whatever. I like Phil. He's just calling people out. Remember that whole Modern Warfare 2 "boycott"?

#37 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

my view is that he's a nice guy (I really liked him on the GDC cast) who should be banned from the internet 2 weeks before and after he releases a game/wins an award.

#38 Posted by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

While i agree both sides are hilarious. I get a bigger laugh out of the side with 25 threads of 4chan and neogaf just talking about waiting around to pirate 50 copies of it

heh. And in light of such threads, it's no wonder he has turned to abrasive humor to face it. It is not simply ire toward a company, but ire toward one man. And so, while he used to be more angry about it, he has recently shown more of a simple irreverence to the whole nature of it. As he showed recently on Giant Bomb, he can be a fun fellow; he just handles this inexplicable level of hate toward him through a mocking sort of humor. Which, despite any real disagreements with what he has said in the past, seems to me to be a rather understandable response to the extreme level of hatefulness he has received from many online.

#39 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5124 posts) -

Well, I guess he went Phishing for haters. Hah, Zing!

#40 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1798 posts) -

Oh if this has more to do with something other than Japanese video games then, yeah okay, I don't know much of anything about Phil Fish's comments on PCs or whatever else he's done. I just know people get pissed off at everything he says, particularly that Japanese game incident.

I apologise for commenting on something I wasn't entirely clear on. Though I would like to know what he has said to cause everyone in the PC community to hate him.

If you want the short hand version he said Fez was meant to be a console game and never coming to PCs and PCs are for spreadsheets not for games.

Then he suddenly announced it was coming to PC

When someone asked why he decided to port it to PC in a reddit AMA he simply replied "For profit".

#41 Posted by Turambar (6637 posts) -

@librorumprohibitorum said:

If you want the short hand version he said Fez was meant to be a console game and never coming to PCs and PCs are for spreadsheets not for games.

Then he suddenly announced it was coming to PC

When someone asked why he decided to port it to PC in a reddit AMA he simply replied "For profit".

It's worth noting that in the original comment, he also stated that he'd never port it to PC for profit because "its not about the money." I mean, ultimately, it's not that surprising, and certainly not an event worth flipping one's shit and declaring something as ineffective as boycotts, but hypocritical shit should be frowned upon, as a rule.

#42 Posted by TyCobb (1944 posts) -

Phil Fish, the man who doesn't give a fuck. I respect him.

#43 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1798 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

@truthtellah said:

heh. And in light of such threads, it's no wonder he has turned to abrasive humor to face it. It is not simply ire toward a company, but ire toward one man. And so, while he used to be more angry about it, he has recently shown more of a simple irreverence to the whole nature of it. As he showed recently on Giant Bomb, he can be a fun fellow; he just handles this inexplicable level of hate toward him through a mocking sort of humor. Which, despite any real disagreements with what he has said in the past, seems to me to be a rather understandable response to the extreme level of hatefulness he has received from many online.

The problem here is hes pretty much giving all indie devs a bad name and also people are pointing out that if someone else in the industry did this they would get redeculed and fired but since hes solo he doesnt get reprimanded for all the stupid stuff he says where as if he worked for a company he wouldve been fired fives times over by now.

#44 Posted by EVO (3850 posts) -

Phil Fish is my hero. Dude speaks his mind and doesn't give a fuck.

#45 Posted by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -

I like Phil, the haters are mother fuckers who take shit way too seriously and are easily offended.

#46 Edited by StarFoxA (5137 posts) -

Haha, I love how Phil Fish just embraces the hate he receives on internet forums. He was great in Indie Game: The Movie, really was a window into what he's actually like.

#47 Posted by AssInAss (2526 posts) -

I love how these people expect "customer relation skills" (i.e. not to have freedom of speech) from an indie developer who has no PR breathing down their neck.

How can anyone hate this?

#48 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I dunno. I've sort of grown to enjoy his particular brand of caustic PR. I guess the trick is to assume everything he says is meant to troll someone.

@hailinel said:

@flacracker said:

waifu's and anime's

2. You want the plural "s", not the possessive.

Pluralizing things with -sauruses alleviates this confusion.

#49 Posted by august (3824 posts) -

The problem here is hes pretty much giving all indie devs a bad name

A bad name amongst who? Idiots?

and also people are pointing out that if someone else in the industry did this they would get redeculed and fired but since hes solo he doesnt get reprimanded for all the stupid stuff he says where as if he worked for a company he wouldve been fired fives times over by now.

So?

#50 Edited by august (3824 posts) -

Phil Fish crossed a line when he gave Twilight Princess an 8.8 and I personally will never forgive him.

You hear that, Phil? Derogatory forum posts till the day I die.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.