Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 25, 2013

The fifth entry in the Ace Attorney franchise, and the first for the 3DS.

DLC Case "Turnabout Reclaimed" is one of the best in AA5

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I can't say my full thoughts on the whole case as I'm just in investigation, day 2, but Turnabout Reclaimed is, so far, one of the best cases in AA5 (better than 5-1, 5-2, 5-4 and alongside 5-3 in how good it is).

For those who aren't aware, the DLC case was released on Thursday in North America and Europe for $5.99 and it features Phoenix Wright's first case after regaining his attorney's badge. The premise involves defending an orca convicted of murder:

No Caption Provided

This case feels like it involves everything that makes Ace Attorney cases great. The anime cutscenes in this case are no doubt the best in the game (well produced, well implemented, funny, and lacking the terrible VA of some of the others), there are numerous references to the past games and characters and the intrigue itself is so far really compelling.

If you own AA5, you should probably own and play through this DLC case as well.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No spoilers, but this case probably has one of the best resolutions of any case in the Ace Attorney series. The outcome is not something I had seen before.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Not really related to the DLC case, but should I buy this game if I haven't played ANY of the other in the series? Always been curious to try one out and this one sounds really good, but I have no idea how important it is to have played all of the games.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No spoilers, but this case probably has one of the best resolutions of any case in the Ace Attorney series. The outcome is not something I had seen before.

Now that sounds promising. Can't wait to play more of it.

@wemibelec90: We've had a couple of threads on that very subject and I'll just paste what I said in one of them: "You'll specifically be missing out on a lot of references by not playing Apollo Justice before AA5, but you could still manage."

All of the games are fantastic, even the "worst" ones, so there's no reason to just play AA5 and skip the rest. You'll miss out on a lot of references to past games in the series by jumping straight to AA5 since the narrative is linked between all of them and you'll specifically be missing out on some character origin stuff by skipping out on AA4.

But really, you should just play them all. One of the best video game series out there.

DeadeyeMcCoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

When you say the anime cutscenes lack the terrible VA, do you mean there just is none or it's better? Didn't think Riegel was a good choice for Wright and Wendee Lee is always just kind of no thanks, but I thought the rest of the English cast was fine. Which may not be saying much since those two are kind of the most prominent voices in the game.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to starting this. Almost done with the main game and it'll be nice jumping into something hokey and somewhat lighthearted after the heaviness that the final cases in these games tend to bring.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@deadeyemccoy said:

When you say the anime cutscenes lack the terrible VA, do you mean there just is none or it's better?

I'll just say that the anime scenes in this case are not centered around dialogue.

I will link the opening in the OP, though, to perhaps give people an idea of the case's tone.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By afabs515

I'd definitely rate this case at least 8/10. It was so much lighter in tone than the vast majority of Dual Destinies, which was great. The "Dark Age of the Law" wasn't mentioned once, which was fine by me. It was a bit strange having *DO NOT READ IF YOU DIDN'T FINISH THE GAME* Fulbright as the detective. I mean, they even make a joke about him not being "such a bad guy". That made me laugh. It was pretty easy to get over though. I loved how the case resolved, and it wasn't something I'd seen before in AA. The only problem I have with it is the length. Don't get me wrong; it's roughly the same length as the final case of the main game, so that's cool. But for $5.99, I would have liked to see something closer in length to Rise From the Ashes, which to this day remains the longest case in AA if I'm not mistaken. Other than that, the case was full of decent humor, drama, and plot twists. It was also easier for me to follow than the rest of the game. Definitely worth checking out.

On a side note, can't wait for Professor Layton v. Ace Attorney next year.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

$6 is an acceptable price to pay for whatever DLC craziness this happens to be. Might as well take a break from Zelda before I accidentally beat that entire game while I'm at it.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Cathryn

I'm glad to hear so many good things about the DLC. Will definitely try to pick this up and play it before the end of the year.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#10  Edited By Wemibelle

@fluxwavez said:

But really, you should just play them all. One of the best video game series out there.

It's not that I don't want to; it's the fact that getting all of them would cost a bit of money and time to track down, which I'm not sure I'm willing to invest. Before anyone tells me that the first three games are available on iOS, I don't own one of those devices, so I would have to purchase the older, physical copies of them. I probably should have specified this when I originally made my point.

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I was just going through case 4 when I decided to pick up Mario, so AA is probably on hold for now. I'll probably pick this up once I've finished this one and the last case.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@wemibelec90: If you happen to have a Wii/Wii U the first three games are downloadable on the Wii Shop for 1000 Wii Points each. Rise from the Ashes, the fifth case from the first Ace Attorney game is DLC (the reason being that it wasn't part of the first game in the first place and was a bonus, it's not essential though.)

Chaossebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

@wemibelec90: Or if you're less scrupulous you could emulate them on your PC since they're not really reliant on any inherent DS functions except maybe the first game's DLC case

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I DO own AA5 and would totally play it right now...but I also own AA4 and I still have to finish it :( . I restarted it recently after only playing through the first case initially, and I'm again somewhere in the beginning of the second case, it's just so hard for me to get started playing one of these games. I took forever playing through the first three games as well.

If I ever get to AA5 I'll definetly check the DLC out though :)

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@wemibelec90: Should you still want to get them here are some links.

Play-Asia has all 4 games in various forms.

The Japanese versions of 1, 2, 3 and 4 at a reduced price, but with a long waiting period before shipping (1 to 1-2 weeks). The Japanese versions of 1, 2 and 3 have English included in them also (I myself own the Japanese versions of 2 and 3), though it seems as if 4 doesn't so I won't link it.

They also have the English versions of 1, 2 and 4, that all have free shipping, with the second and fourth game shipping within 24 hours. They are all a bit more costly.

So that's a start. If you are curious about the series you can't go wrong with AA1, other than that I'll leave it up to you how deep you want to go. Skipping all of them and jumping straight into 5 is probably a very viable option as well.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: All of the games are available on Amazon for pretty cheap. Even buying all 4 at once is only slightly more than getting a brand new game.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DeadpanCakes

As somebody who has never played any of these games, that screenshot makes me want to be somebody who has played all of these games.

Maybe I'll try buying a couple when stuff gets cheap in a week or so

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Canteu

I'm still only on the second case, but I cannot wait for this shit.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, just finished the case and this one's definitely a love letter to AA fans with all of its callbacks and references. One of the most memorable scenes in the series is pretty much replicated with different circumstances, too!

That ending was very satisfying as well and indeed isn't the type that's been done before in Ace Attorney. Such a great case. Now that it's over, guess the wait for PLvsAA starts...

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Superkenon

I bought it. Can't wait to play.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

At Trial, Day 1 right now. Really enjoying it as well.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

That was pretty damn good. I thought halfway through that I had a general sense of where it was going, but it just got so much more complicated from there. It felt like it played on my expectations more than once. Definitely more than I expected from the goofy premise.

I doubt it'll happen, but I hope they do more DLC cases. Ace Attorney just seems like the perfect series for it.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It was pretty good, I saw bits and pieces of where it was going, but that resolution was extremely satisfying. I'm glad it turned out the way it did.

5.99$ seemed like a little much for the case, but I totally would have paid full retail price for the main game, so I didn't feel ripped off by it. And honestly, I love this franchise so much that I don't mind throwing them a little more money than the average price-to-length comparison would call for.

I've seen a lot of interest brought to this game because of this DLC, I hope that encourages more people to buy AA:DD. Just for everyone's information, the DLC case takes place before the rest of the game, so you can totally start the game playing that case first, if you're interested.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@fluxwavez said:

It's not that I don't want to; it's the fact that getting all of them would cost a bit of money and time to track down, which I'm not sure I'm willing to invest. Before anyone tells me that the first three games are available on iOS, I don't own one of those devices, so I would have to purchase the older, physical copies of them. I probably should have specified this when I originally made my point.

I believe the first three games are also available on WiiWare, if that's an option for you.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just for everyone's information, the DLC case takes place before the rest of the game, so you can totally start the game playing that case first, if you're interested.

More accurately, it takes place between case 2 and case 3, but playing it before any of them still works.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26  Edited By recroulette

What an insane case. Definitely took your expectations for a loop. Really, really good.

Also THE SWEATER? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

I finished the main game already and bought this DLC when I saw it was out, but I'm too caught up in playing Zelda at the moment. I'm very excited based on the premise of the case, though; maybe I'll sneak it in, in between Zelda sessions.

Dual Destinies as a whole I quite enjoyed, probably one of the better games in the series, maybe second behind the original.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Man, that was awesome. Even left me a little bit misty at the end there.

5.99$ seemed like a little much for the case, but I totally would have paid full retail price for the main game, so I didn't feel ripped off by it. And honestly, I love this franchise so much that I don't mind throwing them a little more money than the average price-to-length comparison would call for.

Really? I mean, the full game was $30 for 5 cases.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this dlc might have been a little pricey when I first got it but now that I finished it this case was one of the best in any of the AA games. It seems like they put so much effort into this dlc. It has awesome characters and writing and a lot of animated sequences, 5 dollars seems like a total steal now. I would happily pay for more dlc of this quality.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.