Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 25, 2013

The fifth entry in the Ace Attorney franchise, and the first for the 3DS.

Was this game any good?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Fallen189

Hey dudes.

I've noticed this is on sale for a mere £8 on the 3DSE at the moment. I 'm an enormous fan of the first 3 games, I played them obsessively when they came out. Is this as good as those? I'm thinking about buying it for myself over Christmas, and I'd love to know what you guys thought of it.

Cheers lads!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

I thought it was decent. The game isn't nearly as funny as earlier games and the mysteries aren't as good either. I think a large part of my enjoyment came from it just being the first Ace Attorney game to come out in English in years. If you're looking for a new game in the series to play I'd recommend looking into the fan translation of Gyakuten Kenji 2 instead, which is definitely up there with the original trilogy in terms of quality.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

The Phoenix Wright series is one of my all-time favorites. I really enjoyed Dual Destinies. it was a big step up from Apollo Justice, which was IMO the weakest entry in the series. I think my favorite part of it was the evolution of Phoenix as a character, even as silly and melodramatic as this series is. I like the idea that there's a weight at this point to when the game has you play as Phoenix, who by this point is a legend.

At that price, I think it's a no brainer to pick up.

Avatar image for terminallychill
    terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It wasn't quite as memorable as some of the other ones (I've played all ones they've translated so far) but I remember enjoying it. Considering the price and fact that you liked the first three, I'd say go for it.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By TwoLines

Yes. The last case and the DLC are both fantastic. The first case is a bit dull, but it's still neat.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Duel Destinies is no where near as good as the original Pheonix Wright trilogy but it is okay. A lot of the cases are very by the numbers and don't do a lot to shake up the Ace Attorney formula and the writing is pretty weak overall. However, if you are a fan of the series and the game is on sale, I would recommend picking it up. Duel Destinies isn't the best entry in the franchise but it is entertaining enough to play through the game at least once.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

It looks great and I remember really liking it. I guess maybe it kind of dragged a bit toward the end, but it's definitely solid.

Namevah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

I had difficulty getting into the first two cases, but loved everything that came after. Given the price and that you're a fan of the earlier games, it's an easy recommendation.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#10 riostarwind  Moderator

I enjoyed this game a lot more than most people it seems. A easy recommend since you've played the previous games. The dlc case is also worth picking up as well.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I really enjoyed it. Sometimes the cases felt convoluted for convoluted's sake, but there's still a lot to like. One thing I'll say is that the DLC case might be the best one.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#12  Edited By wumbo3000

I've played this game twice. Once right when it came out, and another time when I played through the entire series once that Ace Attorney "HD" Trilogy came out for 3DS. I remember enjoying it a lot when it first came out, but playing it right after original three, I realized that Dual Destinies wasn't as good as I remembered it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fine game if you haven't played the original three in a long time. When Dual Destinies first came out in 2013, I haven't played an Ace Attorney game in quite a while, so playing Dual Destinies after such a long time away from Phoenix Wright was awesome. But after playing the game again right after playing the original three, I found that, first of all, the game is just too easy. And second of all, and perhaps more damning, is that compared to the first three games, you're not doing all that much in terms of gameplay. There is WAY more just simply reading through dialogue and WAY less actually looking at testimonies and finding contradictions compared to the other games.

In the original three games, I remember there were many times when you had multiple cross examinations for one witness. In Dual Destinies, it's often only one cross examination for a witness, followed by a long dialogue section where you're doing nothing but simply tapping through and reading, and then moving on to another witness.

But after saying all that, I still highly recommend it lol. If you enjoyed the first three games, then you'll enjoy this one. It's just I'm a huge Ace Attorney fan and after playing through it a second time immediately after playing the HD trilogy, I found some flaws in it. If you haven't played the original three in a while but liked those games back when it came out, then Dual Destinies is a fine game. Sorry for the stupidly long post for a simple question, but I tend to ramble when I talk about Ace Attorney, as it is my favorite game series of all time.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It's well worth playing if you like yourself some Ace Attorney. Maybe not as strong as some of the high points from the original trilogy, but it's low on busywork and pixel-hunting in a way those aren't (though still with its share of convoluted logic when cross-examining testimonies). If nothing else, it's a hell of a lot better than Apollo Justice, though if you haven't played the fan-translation for that second Edgeworth game, it's really good.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Maybe I'm an easy Phoenix Wright date, but I loved it. The art style, especially, is fucking killer and the music is excellent. It's maybe a little easier than past games, but I always felt like I was in-line with whatever Phoenix was supposed to be thinking, instead of fumbling around evidence and technicalities, which is a great feeling.

DLC is fantastic, as well. it's kind of a bummer because it's easily the best case in the game, but it does a lot of really interesting things.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've actually been wanting to get into this series forever. Is that trilogy on 3DS a good place to start?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#16  Edited By alistercat

Probably the weakest of the series but if you like these games definitely worth a play. I think Phoenix Wright x Professor Layton is actually a better ace attorney game.

@frostyryan said:

I've actually been wanting to get into this series forever. Is that trilogy on 3DS a good place to start?

The 'HD' trilogy is great on 3DS, awful on iPad. I have some minor problems with it but that's just as an obsessed fan.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

I thought it was a great bounce back from Apollo Justice, I liked it a lot.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

It's not like we're getting a lot of AA games these days. Even a mediocre Ace Attorney is better than no Ace Attorney.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zeik

I knew some people didn't love the game, but it's depressing to see so many people down on the game. I could not disagree more. Dual Destinies was probably my favorite entry since Trials and Tribulations. (All spin-offs included.) It's hard to top the first game and the amazing T&T, but Dual Destinies is several times better than Justice for All or Apollo Justice. (And I still consider those games alright overall.) Apollo is more well realized in Dual Destinies as a secondary character than he was treated in the entirety of his own game.

This is coming from someone who has played every game several times. (Over a half dozen times by now for that first game.) DD doesn't stick everything it tries to do perfectly, but for a game that I went into with some trepidation I very much enjoyed what it turned out to be. Can't wait for AA6.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By alistercat

@zeik: I've gone through each game between 30 and 40 times. If you're going to play the numbers game, get that weak shit outta here!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zeik

@alistercat said:

@zeik: I've gone through each game between 30 and 40 times. If you're going to play the numbers game, get that weak shit outta here!

Okay, that's just crazy. The game's are good, but they are basically visual novels. I can't fathom playing/reading/watching anything 30-40 times in only a handful of years. I'm impressed, but you are definitely crazy.

To be clear, I wasn't really "playing a numbers game", I just meant that I played them all more recently than just when they came out.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: I've played it every night for, like, 7 years. I am definitely crazy.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat said:

@zeik: I've played it every night for, like, 7 years. I am definitely crazy.

My dawg, that is a lot of Phoenix Wright.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.