Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pikmin

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Oct 26, 2001

The intrepid Captain Olimar crash-lands on a mysterious planet. With the help of strange creatures called Pikmin, Olimar must escape the planet within thirty days before his life support expires.

Any one beat Pikmin?

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SexyToad

I tried to beat Pikmin more than 7 times but every time i fail to meet the deadline of 30 days... Has anyone else given up or actually beat it?

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By icicle7x3

I beat Pikmin every chance I get. Show them who's boss.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Mighty

@Icicle7x3 said:

I yank those bastards out of the ground, yell at 'em, and shove 'em back down.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By lead_farmer

@Empirepaintball said:

@Icicle7x3 said:

I yank those bastards out of the ground, yell at 'em, and shove 'em back down.

Ruthless monsters. With their damn flowers.

Only once have I been able to get off the planet. I apparently had enough stuff to take off.

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By moncole

No because it's damn hard, shows you how RTS are very hard

noibn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By noibn

Played it when it was originally released (awesome game), and have vague recollections of just barely getting off the planet before time ran out. So yeah, it's not easy, but it's definitely do-able.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IAmNotBatman

Never played Pikmin even though I've had several opportunities to do so. I feel like I've missed out.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By DeF

@SexyToad: just a hint, post this in the pikmin forum :)

I never beat it but that's because I sold the GCN copy because I wanted to get the upgraded Wii edition before I got very far into the story. I definitely had a hard time with the time limit in the beginning, though.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cheesebob

@SexyToad: My brother has, multiple times.

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By superpow

Pikmin.... All dead.... All alone.... the monsters are coming....

Sorry, must be getting flasckbacks.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By FinalDasa

I beat the first Pikmin, the trick is not collecting all of the parts. You only need things like engines and radar to successfully take off. Only one time did I collect everything and that took multiple tries on a few levels. I love how that game balanced time and resource management.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By BisonHero

Hell yeah I beat Pikmin. One of the best games on the Gamecube.

You first time through the game can be rough, admittedly. You're still learning the mechanics, you're learning the layouts of the areas and the locations of the bomb rocks, and you can accidentally make the game much harder if you move on from the forest area without first getting the radar item that gives you the area map. Also, you can accidentally waste a day by returning to the forest area/the crash site too soon, because at a certain point you need blue Pikmin before you can do anything more in those areas.

Still, I'm surprised to hear you've attempted it on 7 different occasions. I would've figured the first couple attempts would at least give you a reasonable familiarity with the structure of the game. You have 30 days to get 30 parts. As long as you retrieve 1 part a day, which is quite reasonable, you should be fine. If you ever get to the end of a day and you didn't retrieve a part, the game gives you the choice to not save, and that's probably a good idea, because then you can give that day another go and try to accomplish something. If you're feeling bold, you can often retrieve 2 or 3 parts in one day.

If the deadline is really an issue, you could always try playing Pikmin 2, which removed the deadline. Personally, I think that made it a lesser game. In Pikmin 2, there was no longer any sense of risk-reward; in Pikmin 1, you had to choose whether it was worth your time to carry a bunch of pellets back to get more Pikmin or whether you should focus on carrying a ship part back. In Pikmin 2 you have all the time in the world, so the only challenge is in these little dungeons that I thought were kind of poorly done, aside from the interesting bosses at the end of each one.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By handlas

NO WHY DO YOU ASK

....but i got a Gamecube coming in the mail today, fuck ya. Gonna play some Pikmin real soon.

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BitterAlmond

It actually wasn't too tough. The first time I played, I only got 17 parts, but the second time through I got all of them in 27 days. The trick is to set goals for yourself and stick to them. Don't waste time waiting for anything: always be doing something, and make sure it's worthwhile! If you get stuck anywhere, don't try to figure it out. Do something else and come back when the solution makes itself apparent to you. If you've got a couple of things left that you just don't know how to get, check online. I didn't have to, though, and I was only fourteen at the time, so you should be good. Just remember that time is everything.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By BisonHero

@FinalDasa said:

I love how that game balanced time and resource management.

I feel that you and I are some of the only people who appreciate that aspect of the game, because Nintendo took that balance out of Pikmin 2, and goddamn every reviewer and everyone on forums seems to think Pikmin 2 is a better game because of it. I still disagree.

Pikmin 1 had flaws, such as the bomb rocks which didn't control intuitively and you could accidentally drop them when you didn't mean to. And Pikmin 2 had some really interesting additions, like the 2 new Pikmin types that were valuable partially due to their scarcity, the berries that you could collect and turn into buff/debuff sprays, and giving you 2 player characters so you could multitask more easily. But taking out the time management aspect seemed like a big mistake to me, as it fundamentally alters what the game was about: instead of being a race against time (which is what most good RTS games are about), it was a leisurely collection quest where the only difficulty was the poorly conceived dungeons you have to navigate your way through.

helios1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By helios1337

Hmm, I don't remember having an issue, I think I had 3 or 4 days to spare. The second one doesn't have the time limit, which is good in some respects, but I felt it lost it's sense of urgency. In Pikmin 1, if you messed up and lost all your pikmin in a battle it mattered because it sets you back time you don't have. But in Pikmin 2 it was more like, meh oh well, i'll just get more dudes.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bennyboy

yeah i beat it on my second attempt.

if no one has mentioned it yet, you can just not save and start the day over again every time you mess up or don't think you'll bring a ship part back in time. at least that's what i remember doing.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#18  Edited By Slag

yup don't remmeber how I did it, first and only try. Pretty fun and solid game. Always fun to play something that original.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Yeah, Pikmin is actually the game I'm most proud of beating. I bought it when I was in third grade and the guy working at Toys 'R' Us was trying to tell my mom it was too hard for me. I showed that fucker who was boss.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FunExplosions

I one-hundred-percented it back in the day. Pretty sure I used a guide, though.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By kalmis

Actually yes. Did it just few months ago for the first time. Don't think it was too hard. Managed to beat in 28 days if I remember correctly.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Cwaff

Beat it once back when it came out, never managed to finish Pikmin 2 though.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Can't you just choose to go to the latest save if you fuck up? How do you guys stop yourselves from doing it? It's so tempting.

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By awadnin

@SexyToad said:

I tried to beat Pikmin more than 7 times but every time i fail to meet the deadline of 30 days... Has anyone else given up or actually beat it?

I just finished the game in 17 days, because I follow walkthrough made by SlimKirby from YouTube. I will link his Walkthrough for you:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD3D77BA43F097DB3&feature=plcp

robopratchett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By robopratchett

@BisonHero: I have both games, and I agree with you about the time management in both games, but all in all I prefer the first game, mostly due to the lack of TM in the second. It wouldn't have been tricky to throw a time limit into a severe loan, would it? also, I've completed the first game more times than I can remember, and seen all three endings :D I've "finished" one of the endings in Pikmin 2 but I've still not got round to rescuing Louie yet... ah well

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I've beat it a few times. It's always hardest the first time when you're still figuring out the levels and puzzles. I'm pretty sure I've never failed it, but I know for certain I didn't have all the parts the first time through and I didn't defeat the last boss that time either. He's a tough boss, that's for sure. You really gotta be prepared to tackle that beast. I'm sure I've gotten 100% though, and I've seen all the endings. Loved that game. Felt the sequel wasn't quite as good and lost some of the magic by turning the unique yellow Pikmin into derivative "electric" Pikmin and by removing the time limit.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#27  Edited By Mento  Moderator

First time I played it, I got all the parts and left the planet with half a week to spare. People really had trouble with it? The sequel was tougher, even without the time limit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.