Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pilgrim Quest

Game » consists of 0 releases.

Pilgrim Quest is an educational game in which you play the original Pilgrims bound for America.

DEVELOPER DIARY: 2008 Awards Feature

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

Edited By coonce

Hey dudes - hope all of you had a nice little break over the Thanksgiving holidays.... here's to spending time with friends and family :)

...on the development side of things, snides and i are getting building some new tools to allow the guys downstairs to build features on GiantBomb. When I say features, I'm talking more long the lines of the 2008 Games of The Year feature or the All Time Scariest Halloween Games feature. 

These features will typically have some videos attached to them and will follow a format of the crew picking a handful of nominees for different categories and determining a winner for each category. We'll also have all the goodies like user polls, so we can hear your thoughts on the nominees and winners.

As a side note, we're also developing another tool that should be fun for you guys as well (mums the word right now, but we'll let you know as we get closer to launching it)...... 

The first feature that will use this new toolset will be the 2008 Game of The Year Awards, but I'm curious,  what other features would you like to see from GiantBomb?
    coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By coonce

Hey dudes - hope all of you had a nice little break over the Thanksgiving holidays.... here's to spending time with friends and family :)

...on the development side of things, snides and i are getting building some new tools to allow the guys downstairs to build features on GiantBomb. When I say features, I'm talking more long the lines of the 2008 Games of The Year feature or the All Time Scariest Halloween Games feature. 

These features will typically have some videos attached to them and will follow a format of the crew picking a handful of nominees for different categories and determining a winner for each category. We'll also have all the goodies like user polls, so we can hear your thoughts on the nominees and winners.

As a side note, we're also developing another tool that should be fun for you guys as well (mums the word right now, but we'll let you know as we get closer to launching it)...... 

The first feature that will use this new toolset will be the 2008 Game of The Year Awards, but I'm curious,  what other features would you like to see from GiantBomb?
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Awesome stuff, can't wait for the awards, more and more videos of the crew being themselves is what we want!

A secret new tool huh? You and your secret projects coonce, you drive me insane! But in a good way! :D

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Coltonio7
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo
    • Still waiting on the XBL/PSN card integration. Sure we can embed, but just a suggestion.
    • We should have nominations and placements of titles. Something I see on Achieve360Points.com would be like: "Voted most helpful member of 2007." Along those guidelines, it might make goals that users can work towards. Similar to Lies' post about achievements, just... different.

Not many other ideas off of the top of my head, but can't wait.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Hamz

I think some form of User of the week or month type of award would be cool. A way for the community to pimp itself and choose those they think stood out amongst the rest for that particular period. Perhaps provide some form of tag or points in reward for being picked. Maybe even have a similar thing for Mods?

I will likely get back to you on this Coonce, its late but i'm pretty sure i listed down a bunch of ideas ages ago about this sort of thing.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Coonce, you guys are incredible. Most sites would be happy just to have a simple stable setup (I'm looking at you Twitter) with maybe one reasonably sized update every couple of years, but you guys just keep on making all of them look bad by constantly iterating, improving, and expanding the site. Cheers for all the hard work.

As far as features I would like to see, I'll mostly just echo what some others have mentioned:

• XBL/PSN gamercard integration
    • Some sort of user achievements system - maybe as some sort of extension to the current wiki points system
    • Revisit the whole game collection list thing that was originally part of the site but has never worked correctly

That's all that immediately comes to mind...No matter what you roll out though, I'm sure that it won't disappoint.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jayge_

Insider information from top ranking officials indicates that a system reminiscent of Achievements will be implemented on GiantBomb.

More on that during the News at 11.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DualReaver

I want an Anti-Jayge Ray.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By Lies
    Coltonio7 said:
    "Lies said:
    "Just saying... this topic's full of 116 good ideas for a certain feature...

:)"
    Lies, you crazy pimp you.

And awesome. I expect many, many random "Features"!  Top 10 Most Awesome 8-Bit Baddies, etc..."
    Yes, I believe MB called me a "sickening, self-promoting whore", so I must be doing something right.

GOTY stuff is always interesting, and it's nice to have content going up when the staff is off on Christmas break. Anyways... other new features:

• tighter community integration (something more than just a news story once a week)
    • tighter guide page- the two columns there currently are no exactly elegant design, and a lot of guides just vanish into purgatory after they drop off that first list- for example, SuperMooseman wrote a super-detailed guide for some obscure point and click game that has like 48 views. The only way anyone would find it is by visiting that page or checking Moose's guides.
    • Perhaps some increased profile customization options? They're a bit bland at the moment.
    Dunno, that's all I got off the top of my head.
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Player1

While listening to the podcast, I was glad to hear about the GOTY awards. Thats what I was going to suggest. So you guys have my idea covered.

Oh, and Coonce, I heard your name dropped on the latest podcast. Congrats :P

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12  Edited By Not_Rage

Some sort of achievement system Achievement System

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    Hamz said:
    "I think some form of User of the week or month type of award would be cool. A way for the community to pimp itself and choose those they think stood out amongst the rest for that particular period. Perhaps provide some form of tag or points in reward for being picked. Maybe even have a similar thing for Mods?

I will likely get back to you on this Coonce, its late but i'm pretty sure i listed down a bunch of ideas ages ago about this sort of thing."
    I personally frown upon popularity contests.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_

Is asking for the removal of post counts a feature suggestion? :-/

Now I'm spamming up Coonce's blog and it's turning into some kind of suggestion box. My bad.

Will stop now.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By brukaoru
    Jayge said:
    "Is asking for the removal of post counts a feature suggestion? :-/"
    YES! Do want! The ability to turn off post counts would be awesome!

Also, I've already suggested this, but a save draft feature for blogs would also save much aggravation for people! :)
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    Lies said:
    "Perhaps some increased profile customization options? They're a bit bland at the moment."
    Profile customization scares me a little bit. I don't want Giant Bomb to end up looking as horrific as Myspace. Maybe it's just my slight OCD talking, but I prefer more structured and standardized profiles such as what you find here and on Facebook.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By daniel_beck_90

yeah an achievement system would be nice . nonetheless the site is getting better and better in every aspects , thank you guys

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#18  Edited By citizenkane

This is awesome news!  You guys have been doing an amazing job since this site was created.  Some features I have been thinking about:

• Achievements/Badges/Medals - will help get users more active in the community(and in features you are talking about like polls and GOTY awards)
    • Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag integration - many of us have just simply embedded it into our bios, but I think it would be better if you had a permanent slot inside the profile for display one's XBL and/or PSN gamertag
    • Add polls to threads

I'll get back to you when I think of some more ideas.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#19  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Here's what came to mind:

Good and bad in industry trends (cool new ideas, cool ways of relating to the public or the press, difference between hype and reality).

Good and bad in game media (outstanding coverage, really bad behavior, stupid things that just need to end).

Indie games highlights (stuff that got missed because of the bigger debuts). 

Retro memories (recalling a favorite/hated/weird old game).

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

So why is this in the Pilgrim Quest forum?

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chummy8

Great, I look forward to these features.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By brukaoru
    MattyFTM said:
    "So why is this in the Pilgrim Quest forum?"
    I assume from the first sentence, "hope all of you had a nice little break over the Thanksgiving holidays..." Coonce wanted to relate his holiday wishes to a game... I can't think of any other reason.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Blog headers/banners would be nice.

Also, a live office webcam would be awesome!!

Honey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Honey

A way to delete your account ior change your user name.

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By coonce

great feedback guys!

i sorta meant along the lines of editorial features you guys wanted -- but it was great to hear so many passionate voices discussing 'new feature development'..... looks like we have a lot more shit to build ;)

thanks dudes.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#26  Edited By citizenkane
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Blog Of The Day

Most hits gets a little spot on the homepage? And don't look at me like that, there are lots of more popular blogs than my own.

At the moment there is no real reward for writing decent stuff, all the user created content is thrown into a big pile of blogs and users have to sort through it themselves which means there are lots of well written blogs that are going unnoticed. A feature that recognises and rewards good writing would be great.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rowr

im looking at you like that sweep.

AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By AspiringAndy

I second everything that CitizenKane says :D
    Achievements and XBL/PSN intergration especially.
    Also Smiley support please :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.