Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pinball

Platform »

In a pinball machine the player is in control of two or more "flippers" (small movable bars) that are used to shoot a metal ball against different physical targets inside the machine.

2011 Pinburgh Pinball Championship - Round 10: FunHouse

FunWithBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By FunWithBonus

Hey, Rudy! Looks like you need some Chap-Stick!

Instead, I offer this. Here's a video I was actually in, sort of. Well, you can see my hands. Note: a Vimeo video, not YouTube.

Player 1: Rob Timberlake

Player 2: Steve Bowden

Player 3: Joe Kosack

Player 4: John Greatwich

Nice! It looks like I got my 2 minutes of fame. This was the last game of Round 10 in the Pinburgh qualifying matches. Pinball Champion, Bowen Kerins provides great commentary.

It was cool to see what I was doing right, and wrong while I was playing. For instance, I have to get better at recognizing when a good slap save will help me.

At 11:19, what actually happened was, the ball rose up a bit above the flipper to where it almost jumped over it for a jumpball drain. Somehow, I got lucky enough to flip it into the lock anyway. I think I said, “What was that, Rudy?! What was THAT?!” referring to his “Rudy gulp” quote.

If you know me, you know that I never use trash talk toward my opponents. However, Rudy is a conniving bastard. As you can see, he did not appreciate my comment towards him. ^_^

“All right Mr. De Mille, I’m ready for my close-up.”  Wait a minute, you can only see my hands… never mind.  As it turned out, my attempt at a controlled style of play lost out to John’s “California style.”

ADDENDUM: On the shot that ultimately ended my game, I got caught between two different strategies. I wanted to pass the ball from the right to the left flipper to go for the lock, and then try for Rudy. However, I thought the ball wasn’t moving fast enough down the right inlane for me to do that. Instantly, I decided to go for the ramp but I ended up flipping way too early, and paid for it. 

FunWithBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By FunWithBonus

Instead, I offer this. Here's a video I was actually in, sort of. Well, you can see my hands. Note: a Vimeo video, not YouTube.

Player 1: Rob Timberlake

Player 2: Steve Bowden

Player 3: Joe Kosack

Player 4: John Greatwich

Nice! It looks like I got my 2 minutes of fame. This was the last game of Round 10 in the Pinburgh qualifying matches. Pinball Champion, Bowen Kerins provides great commentary.

It was cool to see what I was doing right, and wrong while I was playing. For instance, I have to get better at recognizing when a good slap save will help me.

At 11:19, what actually happened was, the ball rose up a bit above the flipper to where it almost jumped over it for a jumpball drain. Somehow, I got lucky enough to flip it into the lock anyway. I think I said, “What was that, Rudy?! What was THAT?!” referring to his “Rudy gulp” quote.

If you know me, you know that I never use trash talk toward my opponents. However, Rudy is a conniving bastard. As you can see, he did not appreciate my comment towards him. ^_^

“All right Mr. De Mille, I’m ready for my close-up.”  Wait a minute, you can only see my hands… never mind.  As it turned out, my attempt at a controlled style of play lost out to John’s “California style.”

ADDENDUM: On the shot that ultimately ended my game, I got caught between two different strategies. I wanted to pass the ball from the right to the left flipper to go for the lock, and then try for Rudy. However, I thought the ball wasn’t moving fast enough down the right inlane for me to do that. Instantly, I decided to go for the ramp but I ended up flipping way too early, and paid for it. 

Jimmeltoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jimmeltoo

Hey-- I just wanted to say that was some great play! The cradle separations during your first quick-multi were incredible. And given those first four balls... that machine was obviously dispossessed towards players that day. ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.