Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pinball

Platform »

In a pinball machine the player is in control of two or more "flippers" (small movable bars) that are used to shoot a metal ball against different physical targets inside the machine.

pinball chattin

admiralcrunche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By admiralcrunche

Anyone wanna talk Pinball?

like about how awesome this is?

also thinking about investing in my first table. Any recommendations?

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Jared

I've never played the Bride of Pinbot but I have played Pinbot, its very cool and its a pin made at a time where it feels like a mix between layout / feature styles of the 70's with some from the 90's mixed in.

For your first pin I would recommending something that wouldn't be terribly hard to work on, Pinbot and other mid to late 80's Williams machines can have electronics issues from time to time. If your not comfortable with soldering and working with electronics on a basic level you may want to get something newer. If you search the Google pinball boards you will find that issues with late 80's machines are common, luckily nearly everything can be fixed and hey with the internet you can find a guide to help you do it! I have a late 80's machine myself, F14 Tomcat, and have had several problems with it. One of the four display went out so I had to replace it, that wasn't hard to do myself. When I first bought the machine the battery holder (holds 3-4 double AA batteries to help store table settings and high scores) was ready to fall off, the soldering for the contacts was just about gone since the previous owner left the batteries in there for years while they were leaking acid (check the batteries / replace, especially if you just got the pin)...I ended up installing a remote battery holder and soldered new wires to the main board, problem solved. I also had a problem where half the sound went out on the machine as well as several game features, turns out a trace on the back of the main board itself was broken, a friend and I had to basically solder a piece of wire to two places on the board to jump the broken trace area.

Hmmm, as far as a first pin goes I would check out Getaway: Highspeed 2, that was my first pin and wow was it awesome, I regret getting rid of it! You may like the site below for more information.

http://pinside.com/

admiralcrunche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By admiralcrunche

Chattin Pinball!! love it.

Thanks for the tips, I've heard similar things from other people. Starting easy seems the best way to go. I found a guy who is selling a 1968 Williams Doozie machine for 200 bucks, he says it powers up and plays but needs some mild repairs. I'll be going out to take a look at it sometime this week. Any particular problems i should look for?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba

If you want a 90s machine I'd say go for it, there is plenty of help online so fixing the machines should't be too hard. There also maybe local pinball collectors that can stop by your place and help you fix your machine.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By kindgineer

I wish I had the money to drop into one of those beautiful machines, but alas I do not.

admiralcrunche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By admiralcrunche

Just scored my first 100 million plus game on pinball fx 2. Really stoked about it, I know thats not a great score but still pretty excited about it.

Lucien21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 14

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.