Most expensive console of all time?

#1 Posted by Kidavenger (3532 posts) -

I always considered the Neo Geo to be the most expensive home gaming system with an original MSRP of $700 but now I find this Pioneer LaserActive which was apparently $970 when it came out. Even more interesting; the wiki states that it was only the second most expensive console of all time; so now I'm left wondering: What was the most expensive game console of all time?

#2 Posted by Gaff (1711 posts) -

It's in that very same wiki article? The RDI Halcyon is the most expensive console. Ever.

Apparently.

#3 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -

We have it easy now, holy shit.

#4 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

That's similar if not cheaper than the PS3 launch price in Australia

#5 Posted by Kidavenger (3532 posts) -

@Gaff: Mystery solved!

Seems like that Halcyon shouldn't count, as they made so few of them, and it's skirting the "is it a console or a computer" line pretty hard.

#6 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1767 posts) -

It's adjusted for inflation, but yeah, we do have it pretty good now. Though the SNES/Genesis weren't that expensive comparatively buying the individual games was much more costly.

#7 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

@Genkkaku said:

That's similar if not cheaper than the PS3 launch price in Australia

Adjust for inflation and...damn, the Neo Geo was over a grand in today's USA Pesos.

See? Aussie's had it easy at PS3 launch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.