Armada of the Damned officially canceled

#1 Posted by Ninjakid7396 (291 posts) -
#2 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

I'm sorry, I wasn't following the development of this game: was it supposed to be good or something? I ask because well, it's a licensed game, and a Pirates of the Caribbean one no less.

#3 Edited by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

The fuck??  That game looked great!

@RsistncE said:

" I'm sorry, I wasn't following the development of this game: was it supposed to be good or something? I ask because well, it's a licensed game, and a Pirates of the Caribbean one no less. "

The first PotC game was great too, as it happens.
#4 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

Yeah, it looked pretty neat.

That sucks.

#5 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

teh fuck

#6 Posted by RaceKickfist (218 posts) -

poor disney, hemorrhaging money so badly they have to cancel promising editions to their multi-billion dollar franchises. i guess it wont be long until we hear about chapter 11 and all that. oh wait, no- its friggin DISNEY. they PRINT MONEY. and they can't keep one of their subsidiaries afloat while it restructures? pathetic. i was actually looking forward to that game. it looked like it would be a lot of fun. despite the obvious fable derivations. (i love fable, so if a fable clone was well made, i'd love it too.)

#7 Posted by adoggz (2057 posts) -

why?

#8 Posted by President_Barackbar (3448 posts) -

Wow, I'm really surprised  to hear this. It looked like a great game, and its weird that development was dropped all of a sudden, especially because they had a hands-on build at E3.

#9 Posted by Bones8677 (3224 posts) -

The game had a lot of good ideas, and some promise. But personally I wasn't at all excited for it. I wish I knew why. Maybe it was because it was a single player only game. Maybe I would have preferred  if it was more multi player focused. What's more awesome than gathering some real friends and looting ships as your individual pirate? 

#10 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -
@Jimbo: Hmmm, I'll have to check that out then. In that case it's too bad this game is sinking.
#11 Posted by Driadon (2996 posts) -

:( I wanted my unofficial Sea Dogs 3 dammit!

#12 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

disney i am dissapoint  

not really disney has been shit for years now.

#13 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

:(

#14 Posted by mattjam3000 (443 posts) -

100 laid off at the Vancouver office, hopefully that wont effect the guys making tron up there. Dont want Johnny V losing his job

#15 Posted by Jeust (10537 posts) -
#16 Posted by Unlogik (163 posts) -

God dammit Disney! One of the only games I've been looking forward to recently. 

I bet we will see it one day, maybe in different form.

#17 Posted by LlamaLlama (174 posts) -

It was going to be first Pirates thing I was actually interested in. Damn.
#18 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

It really doesn't make sense given that the new film comes out next year and the game would be ready to release alongside it with plenty of time to polish it up.  I'm just wondering if it's not canceled but being retrofitted to tie-in to the film.  So technically this game is canceled but what it turns into is the new game.  It's happened before where a project gets scrapped then comes back later with a new name.  Deus Ex: Clan Wars was canned, then came back as Project Snowblind.

#19 Posted by Undeadpool (4919 posts) -

In the words of Master of Orion II heroes: 
NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#20 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

You know what, fuck you Disney, that game actually looked like it could be awesome

Stupid corporate idiots

#21 Posted by Undeadpool (4919 posts) -

In the words of Master of Orion II heroes: 
NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#22 Posted by septim (774 posts) -

It sucks that it was canceled. Period.

But hopefully it was canceled because it wasn't good, and not because it was too ambitious.

#23 Posted by VoodooTerror (607 posts) -

#24 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Disney obviously decided there wasnt enough racism in the game to carry its brand 

#25 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -

Fuck, this actually looked pretty good. Sigh...

#26 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

Well that sucks donkey balls, I was really interested in this game.

#27 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@RichardLOlson said:
" Well that sucks donkey balls "
Speaking of donkey balls, at least Tron: Evolution: The Video Game: The Video Game is still set for release. :P
#28 Posted by Yummylee (21464 posts) -

=(

#29 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Aww shucks

#30 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

That is pretty messed up because the game looked pretty cool.

#31 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -

Le sigh

#32 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Fuck, I was really excited for this :(

#33 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -

This game looked excellent, I was excited for it and am disappointed it is cancelled. :{

#34 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

It clearly needed more work than was let on. No big loss.

#35 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

well fuck :(

#36 Posted by Peanut (953 posts) -

Shit.  

Lack of pirate games is kinda pissing me off. They need to drop Sid Meier's Pirates! on XBLA/PSN.

#37 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

i bet you its because some marketing schmuck thought  no jack sparrow = no sales.

#38 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I need my pirate fix damnit!

#39 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

#40 Posted by Bucketdeth (8005 posts) -

They choose the game that actually looks like it has potential, good job Disney.

#41 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

Fuck, that was really looking like a great game as well, I love high quality pirate-themed entertainment and it's a shame to see AotD go. Possibly more worryingly this seems like a bit of a blow for the licensed games industry as a whole.

#42 Posted by Kear (109 posts) -

Great, they cancelled the gameof theirs that  I was actually interested in.  Kind of suprised since it was supposed to be done around now, as I recall.  Wonder how much work is left on it.  Also, lots of layoffs at Disney Interactive, anyone know if Johny V still has a job?
#43 Posted by me3639 (1747 posts) -

I had never heard of it until Jeff spoke about it after E3? He was really excited and it sounded like it had a lot of potential. Curious as to who will finish(Obsidian?, Bioware?) since he sounded as if the game was pretty far along the development cycle.

#44 Posted by sharma55 (458 posts) -

Always sad when games get canned and devs get laid off, I think this had to do with them not hitting development milestones and Disney wasn't willing to give them more cash, I mean it was supposed to be out this year and we didn't hear anything about it, obviously development had fallen behind Disney's original plan.

#45 Posted by ahab88 (239 posts) -

Shame. I was looking forward to this one.

#46 Posted by Minus (75 posts) -

ok everytime i see this title i always think it says amanda and i was like wtf stupid name for a game is that then i looked closer for the THIRD time and realised it said armada. 
i know this has no real relevece to the topic but i needed to say it

#47 Posted by Deusoma (3004 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" The first PotC game was great too, as it happens. "
That's probably because it was actually the sequel to Bethesda's Sea Dogs, except renamed "Pirates of the Caribbean" partway through development and given minor new elements like skeleton pirates after a deal was made with Disney. *The More You Know*
#48 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -
@Deusoma said:
" @Jimbo said:
" The first PotC game was great too, as it happens. "
That's probably because it was actually the sequel to Bethesda's Sea Dogs, except renamed "Pirates of the Caribbean" partway through development and given minor new elements like skeleton pirates after a deal was made with Disney. *The More You Know* "
I did know that actually, and you're right, that is the only reason it was any good.  The developer of those games (Akella) is currently working on Captain Blood, which doesn't look a million miles away from Armada of the Damned.  Hopefully that will turn out alright to make up for losing Armada, but I wouldn't get my hopes up - their recent track record hasn't been so great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.