Rumour: Pirates of the carribean game canned, massive layoffs.

#1 Edited by billnyethesciencepie (1333 posts) -
#2 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Good news as always, bradnicholson!

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18893 posts) -

Off Topic:  Stop posting links with little commentary.  You are just flooding the forums.

On Topic:  That sucks dude.  The game seemed interesting.  Let's hope this rumor isn't true.

#4 Posted by MisterMouse (3539 posts) -

that is a bummer, the game seemed kind of cool

#5 Posted by LiquidPrince (15836 posts) -

Armada of the Damned?

#6 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

what....i couldn't care less about tron, but that pirates game looked awesome. They are betting on the wrong horse in my opinion.

#7 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

Of course they are canceling the one Disney game I was looking forward to.  

I've been a huge tron fan since I was a kid but Tron: Evolution - The Video Game has been looking like a big pile of meh each time I've seen it shown somewhere.

#8 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

If this is true, this is a crying shame. There are way too few next-gen pirate games out at the moment.

#9 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -

Goddamnit!

#10 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

This better not be true.

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10384 posts) -

For some reason I thought you meant the next movie. Either way, it's bad news. Truth be told though, given the choice between the two, I'd take another movie. 

#12 Posted by hinderk (685 posts) -

I hopped that this rumor isn't true. The game seemed like it had a chance to be awesome. 

#13 Posted by The_Tolman (429 posts) -

didnt care about the game before, still dont now. but i do feel bad for those developers who may have lost their jobs.

#14 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

Wasn't Johnny V working on that?

#15 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

It's confirmed.

Developers have been layed off or shifted over to developing TRON (which looked rather bad).  But this is disappointing, the game looked a lot like Fable and sounded like a lot of fun.

#16 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

I'm pissed enough about this that I feel like posting twice.

#17 Edited by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

A dude over at NeoGaf posted this.

Told by friend who worked there that:
-They're restructuring
-They didn't want fighting, or bar maids in the game
-They want more kids games
-Disney is going in a very different direction

No fighting? The fuck? Has Disney actually seen the movies?
#18 Posted by JJOR64 (18893 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" It's confirmed.  Developers have been layed off or shifted over to developing TRON (which looked rather bad).  But this is disappointing, the game looked a lot like Fable and sounded like a lot of fun. "
Really?  GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.  Tron did look like ass.
#19 Posted by Blacknight (23 posts) -

Every time i took forward to any game its canned. WTF

#20 Posted by Bogitt (201 posts) -

Hah the one time I have any interest in a game that is based on a film it's canned, anyone else thought this looked halfway decent?

#21 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -

Ugh, this one kind of bums me out. 

#22 Edited by Chris2KLee (2328 posts) -
@Bogitt said:

" Hah the one time I have any interest in a game that is based on a film it's canned, anyone else thought this looked halfway decent? "

Yep, I was way more interested in this than the Tron game (although I do want to see the new Tron movie). It's a shame because it was looking good, and Jeff seemed to think it might be something to look out for. Good luck to everyone effected, I hope they all can land on their feet. Hopefully this means Tron is gonna be good, or else I sense another post employment Johnny V appearance (hey, at least he won the GT5 bet!).
#23 Posted by yani (413 posts) -

I hope someone out there can take up the idea of a pirate RPG and create a new IP around it as I really liked the idea and thought the game was looking pretty good from the stuff shown.

#24 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

A shame, I needed my pirate fix :(

#25 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
" A dude over at NeoGaf posted this.

Told by friend who worked there that:
-They're restructuring
-They didn't want fighting, or bar maids in the game
-They want more kids games
-Disney is going in a very different direction

No fighting? The fuck? Has Disney actually seen the movies? "
If that's true, then LAWL!  WOW! 

It sucks that people are losing their jobs.  It seemed like the Pirates game was giving Propaganda to bounce back after the failure of Turok...and what seems like Tron: Evolution will be.  Totally shitty. 

Best of luck to the guys that got laid off.  May they find work somewhere.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.