Are Dips Mandatory?

#1 Posted by Mistyshadow (255 posts) -

To enjoy a pizza must it come with dips? I personally love Panago's and Dominoes dips, they're awesome.

#2 Edited by MB (12088 posts) -

Blasphemy!  Although with Dominoes Pizza, at least if you use dip you're covering up the taste of their crappy pizza.

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by Dalai (7006 posts) -

Yes to dipping... as long as you only dip the crust.

#4 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

No dipping. If you need a dip, you're eating the wrong kind of pizza that does not have fresh ingredients. As a man with the username Vinchenzo, you should trust my word.

#5 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Absolutely not mandatory, but I am not against it. I think pizza is most excellent with ranch dressing.

#6 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -
TheGreatGuero said:
"Absolutely not mandatory, but I am not against it. I think pizza is most excellent with ranch dressing."
What he said.

Ranch dressing, in my opinion, is perfect on pepperoni pizza (cheap pizza...Little Caesar's or something).
#7 Posted by AURON570 (1672 posts) -

not mandatory. and i always thought dip was for the crust, until i saw a friend of mine pour it all over his pizza. i still only use it for crust. -.-

btw note: everyone's taste buds are different! i say if someone enjoys eating something, by all means! xD

#8 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

I dip any pizza in ranch dressing. It's the best thing I've ever had.
#9 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1862 posts) -

It's not required, but it helps. I've started going to a place that offers a brush of olive oil on the crust instead of a dip, which is actually REALLY good.

#10 Posted by Andorski (5206 posts) -

Not mandatory, but preferential when eating the crust.

#11 Posted by MikkaQ (10270 posts) -

Dip is good with thick crust pizza, but I always get thin, so I don't often find myself with 'em. And I go with marinara, because it's usually the least gross. Not original or anything, but it's a safe choice. 

#12 Posted by AndrewB (7519 posts) -

You guys are eating Pizza wrong if you're using dips.

#13 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1862 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" Dip is good with thick crust pizza, but I always get thin, so I don't often find myself with 'em. And I go with marinara, because it's usually the least gross. Not original or anything, but it's a safe choice.  "
What's wrong with garlic (or any other alternative dip)?
#14 Posted by masternater27 (915 posts) -

Not mandatory, but they definitely can add value.  I'd have to second the thoughts of only dipping the crust though with the exception being you have a bacon ranch dip that's actually made with bacon, not just flavoring or some shit.  But that's a pretty specific instance.

#15 Posted by SoulEdgeSlayer (534 posts) -

Not mandatory. I love the crust of pizza so much, I eat my slices crust first. By the end of the slice, I don't have anything to dip. -_-

Although, whenever I actually have ranch available when I get pizza (and I don't have to search for it), I'm not against taking a few dipped bites.

#16 Posted by MikkaQ (10270 posts) -
@UnsolvedParadox said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
" Dip is good with thick crust pizza, but I always get thin, so I don't often find myself with 'em. And I go with marinara, because it's usually the least gross. Not original or anything, but it's a safe choice.  "
What's wrong with garlic (or any other alternative dip)? "
Well I feel like those flavors are waaay over processed. Marinara's just tomato sauce, the rest looks like it's been manufactured. 
#17 Posted by Seraphim2150 (325 posts) -

No dipping for me

#18 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -
Dips are ok, really depends on if you're eating crappy pizza or not. 
#19 Edited by guiseppe (2839 posts) -

Dipping pizza? This is indeed a crazy world we live in.

#20 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

I dip the crust in ranch from time to time. It's quite delicious. Never the actual pizza part though.

#21 Posted by Jimbo_N (1197 posts) -

I don´t know that you can even get dips for pizzas anywhere in this country. Only sauces to have ON the pizza. That on the other hand is a must!

#22 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1862 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @UnsolvedParadox said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
Well I feel like those flavors are waaay over processed. Marinara's just tomato sauce, the rest looks like it's been manufactured.  "
Alright, that's fair...if you can get a brush of olive oil on your crust, I think you'll like it.
#23 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

dipping pizza?? 
what the fuck kind of pizza are you people into?

#24 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I know some people dip pizza, and I can accept it, but I'm from Chicago, so we don't really have a means to if we've got the deep dish going down.

#25 Edited by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

I do it only sparingly, on the rare occasions I get Papa John's which gives you a free garlic dip with every pizza.

What, I'm not supposed to use it? Pfft. 

But yeah, all the other times no, since they want me to pay an extra 50 cents for it and forget that.

#26 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -
@UnsolvedParadox:
Another good alternative for crust is to brush thai sweet chilli sauce on before cooking, only really good for non-traditional pizzas but olive oil & minced garlic for standard pizzas. 

But dips from Dominos, Pizza Hut etc I find disgusting, so no dipping for me.
#27 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1862 posts) -
@LiquidS said:
" @UnsolvedParadox: Another good alternative for crust is to brush thai sweet chilli sauce on before cooking, only really good for non-traditional pizzas but olive oil & minced garlic for standard pizzas.  But dips from Dominos, Pizza Hut etc I find disgusting, so no dipping for me. "
Mmm....
#28 Posted by Kohe321 (3523 posts) -

I do not dip the pizza, I pour dip over it. And yes, it's mandatory.

#29 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@Mistyshadow said:

" To enjoy a pizza must it come with dips? "

And that is why the world hates America.
#30 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" @Mistyshadow said:
" To enjoy a pizza must it come with dips? "
And that is wy the world hates America. "
And that is why America is fat. I live in America, and I'm tired of the fatties.
#31 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

Garlic and herb dip <3

#32 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

It actually should be mandatory for you to eat pizza without dips.

#33 Posted by CaptainObvious (2995 posts) -

I eat pizza with ketchup. 

#34 Edited by Meltac (1999 posts) -

I have never heard of dipping your pizza? Sounds pretty disgusting.

#35 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
And that is why America is fat. I live in America, and I'm tired of the fatties. "
 On Colbert last night there was a report that America hasn't gotten fatter in the last five years because they can't physically get any fatter. So your inluck.
#36 Posted by JokerClown88 (1051 posts) -

The only "dip" that is acceptable with pizza is Ranch Dressing.  Even then, only a small amount is needed.  Other then that, NOTHING!!!
#37 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

I want pizza right now and it's almost 8am where I am.  I will revisit this idea later today.

#38 Posted by Kiemoe (1055 posts) -

No dips.

#39 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1862 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @UnsolvedParadox said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
Well I feel like those flavors are waaay over processed. Marinara's just tomato sauce, the rest looks like it's been manufactured.  "
I think that's a problem with quality rather than an inherent flaw with the flavours, but I see where you're coming from.
#40 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

Crusts only!

#41 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

I like my pizzas simple, with a few basic topics like tomatoes, cheese, onion, paprika and olives, accompanied with garlic sauce. 
#42 Posted by Tordah (2471 posts) -

Dips with pizza? o_O Never heard of such a thing before.

#43 Posted by onimonkii (2430 posts) -

no

but a garlic dip if the mood strikes is ok

#44 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Hmm.. Sometime's I'll have ketchup with my pizza but most of the time I don't want any dips. A good pizza doesn't need a dip

OHHHHHHHH DIP!!!!!!!!!!!

#45 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Dip for Pizza? What kind of gross and twisted food abomination is that?

#46 Posted by Castro (950 posts) -

Personally, I've never heard of dipping the pizza (slices, not the whole pizza) in a "dip" BUT, I have dipped the crust in marinara sauce or whatever. If the pizza is really shitty, then it's nice to have the sauce to dip your crust in. If it's a good pizza, there shouldn't be any need to.

Also, I used to loathe Dominos Pizza, but the new recipe isn't that bad. Really, it's not bad at all. I could eat that shit inside and out. I did, in fact. No dipping sauce.

#47 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

I have my pizza with Mayonnaise.  I'm the only person I know who does, but it's gorgeous, so try talking me out of it.  Better yet, try it yourselves =p

#48 Posted by yoyokid (119 posts) -

no dips are not mandatory and are frowned on actually. i had my first dip around a year ago with papa johns and didnt care for it. if the pizza is good enough it doesnt need to be dipped go to reportorial pizza places. not crappy places. i know its hard to find them in some parts of the country unlike me in the highest percaptia pizza place in America.

#49 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Urgh, fuckin' no, just no Ok.

#50 Posted by Sinatra (213 posts) -

I just use ranch to dip my pizza in. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.