Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Planescape: Torment

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 12, 1999

An isometric RPG using Bioware's Infinity Engine, Planescape: Torment is set in the Planescape universe and tells the dark and provocative tale of The Nameless One, an immortal searching for his identity.

Planescape: Torment now available at GOG.com

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By august
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Alright. Mission accomplished. Now I can finally figure out why everyone loves this game so much.

fflyash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By fflyash

Listen to this man.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Noodles

After that little 'stunt' they pulled, I will never give GOG money again; just on sheer principle.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Noodles said:
    " After that little 'stunt' they pulled, I will never give GOG money again, just on sheer principle. "
    Kinda how I feel.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ajamafalous
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
    Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Noodles
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By august
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By august
    @ajamafalous: Should be fixed.
    Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Picked this up back when it first came out. It deserves every bit of praise it gets. 

Even though I have the discs, picked it up anyways. All ill-will I had towards GOG after their "stunt" has evapporated.
    fflyash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fflyash

Just wondering, has anyone been able to confirm if the mods work with this version?

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By august
    @kshadow said:
    " Just wondering, has anyone been able to confirm if the mods work with this version? "
    Not yet. They probably work, gog games almost always work with mods with little to no tweaking. If there's any incompatibilities that should become apparent shortly. Keeping an eye on the official forum.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By august
    @kshadow said:
    " Just wondering, has anyone been able to confirm if the mods work with this version? "
    Confirmation.
    fflyash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fflyash

Great. Now I just need a chance to download it.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By schizogony
    @Noodles said:
    " After that little 'stunt' they pulled, I will never give GOG money again; just on sheer principle. "
    Same here definitely.  That, and their prices are too high.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Noodles:@ajamafalous:  I don't get this attitude. People couldn't access games for 3 days (omgomgomg), GOG apologised and has come back better than ever with some of the best PC RPGs ever made. If their stunt should make you suspicious of anything, it's DRM sites like Steam that can shut down and are not obligated to give you access to the games you have bought.
    It was a good troll, time to move on.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Animasta
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @Noodles said:
    " After that little 'stunt' they pulled, I will never give GOG money again, just on sheer principle. "
    Kinda how I feel. "
    you guys do realize that since they are DRM free, you can just burn them on a disc and have them forever? it's a damn slight better than steam.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ajamafalous
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @Noodles:@ajamafalous:  I don't get this attitude. People couldn't access games for 3 days (omgomgomg), GOG apologised and has come back better than ever with some of the best PC RPGs ever made. If their stunt should make you suspicious of anything, it's DRM sites like Steam that can shut down and are not obligated to give you access to the games you have bought. It was a good troll, time to move on. "
    Valve already laid out their plans for if they ever shut down Steam. You'll be able to log in in offline mode and still play everything.

It's not the "OH NO I CAN'T PLAY GAMES FOR 3 DAYS" that got to me, it's the "We're closing. This is not a stunt."

"LOLJK GUYS. WE'RE STILL COOL RIGHT?

RIGHT?"
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By august

Can we not turn this thread into a debate over gog.

Planescape: Torment is finally available commercially for the first time in years, in an easily downloadable and installable format. It's pretty much the best written cRPG ever. If all the bitching puts off any potential new players, you'll be doing them a serious disservice.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I'm going to buy Planescape Torment most definitely, although I probably won't bother with the graphics mods for the sake of nostalgia. It was easily one of my favourite PC games of the '90s and I'm curious to see how well it holds up.

fflyash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fflyash

Damn. Just found out I had won a free game on gog after I bought it. Since there's nothing else I want, does someone else want the code?

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By august
    @kshadow:  I'll take it!
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @august said:
    " Can we not turn this thread into a debate over gog.  Planescape: Torment is finally available commercially for the first time in years, in an easily downloadable and installable format. It's pretty much the best written cRPG ever. If all the bitching puts off any potential new players, you'll be doing them a serious disservice. "
    Perhaps it's just a European thing, but Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment, etc, have all been re-released numerous times, one of which was very recently.
    I picked it up a new version just a few months ago for £10 just to replace my old multi-disc, duel case version.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By august
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @august said:
    " Can we not turn this thread into a debate over gog.  Planescape: Torment is finally available commercially for the first time in years, in an easily downloadable and installable format. It's pretty much the best written cRPG ever. If all the bitching puts off any potential new players, you'll be doing them a serious disservice. "
    Perhaps it's just a European thing, but Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment, etc, have all been re-released numerous times, one of which was very recently. I picked it up a new version just a few months ago for £10 just to replace my old multi-disc, duel case version. "
    The ip rights to those games have been so messed up for so long I have to wonder if those aren't bootlegs. Or maybe the licensing is less messed up in the EU.
    Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Noodles
    @Laketown said:

" @ajamafalous said:

" @Noodles said:

Kinda how I feel. "
    you guys do realize that since they are DRM free, you can just burn them on a disc and have them forever? it's a damn slight better than steam. "
    I didn't say anything about the DRM. To clarify, what I meant is because of the stunt they pulled, I have absolutely NO respect for the company and wouldn't give any of my money to them. It's not that I don't trust that they aren't going to be around. It's not that I would only buy PC games with no DRM. It's that I wouldn't give my money to a company that basically gives a big 'fuck you' to it's community to generate free marketing. They are shameless. At this point, I will just buy old PC games off of eBay/Amazon.

Also, to any people who haven't played Planescape, wait for it to come out on Steam. I wouldn't be surprised to see it pop up in the next week or so.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @august said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

" @august said:
    Perhaps it's just a European thing, but Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment, etc, have all been re-released numerous times, one of which was very recently. I picked it up a new version just a few months ago for £10 just to replace my old multi-disc, duel case version. "
    The ip rights to those games have been so messed up for so long I have to wonder if those aren't bootlegs. Or maybe the licensing is less messed up in the EU. "
    Definitely not bootlegs.  Having trouble finding Planescape now actually though.  It's only available from sellers for a ridiculous price, I imagine these were fairly limited runs.
    I suspect you're right about the liscencing issues though, it clearly just isn't a problem over here.

No reason you couldn't import these and play them in the US though, for anyone after boxed copies.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By august

Has anyone ever managed to do an evil playthrough of the game? I find the writing and characters are so good it's incredibly hard to be cruel.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By aleryn

WHOA.

HEY GUYS.  YOU LIKE PC RPGS?  DON'T MIND OLD?  GO BUY IT.  NOW.

Just keep in mind it's more story based than most PC RPGs, but that's okay cuz the writing is AMAZING for a game.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By august
    @Noodles said:
      Also, to any people who haven't played Planescape, wait for it to come out on Steam. I wouldn't be surprised to see it pop up in the next week or so. "
    Those people should also keep in mind, however, that if the game comes to Steam it very well may not be compatible with mods because Steam encrypts the .exe
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By august

bumpin this

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By Driadon
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " I'm going to buy Planescape Torment most definitely, although I probably won't bother with the graphics mods for the sake of nostalgia. It was easily one of my favourite PC games of the '90s and I'm curious to see how well it holds up. "
    Still holds up well. I tracked down the DVD copy that Interplay released in the UK months ago and, well, even on low resolutions it doesn't look half bad.
    mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#34  Edited By mariussmit

My copy is downloading. God I love this game. If GOG keeps this up I'm not going to be able to afford Christmas gifts. With so many classic RPGs to play though I may not care.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By august
    @august said:
    " bumpin this "
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By endaround
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @august said:
    Its an EU thing.  Atari has more of the publishing rights in Europe and so doesn't have to jump through as many hoops.  In the US the rights are between Interplay, Atari and maybe Hasbro and for Baldur's Gate, Bioware.  So yeah this is big for the US.
    Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Simulacrum
    @Aleryn said:

" WHOA.  HEY GUYS.  YOU LIKE PC RPGS?  DON'T MIND OLD?  GO BUY IT.  NOW.

Bolded for emphasis.
    Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

I love this game but haven't been able to play since I lost my original copy some time ago so I was super happy when I saw this.  

However this is my first time using gog.com and they can literally go fuck themselves, I've been trying to get a download of the installer that isn't corrupted for the last 3 hours and despite following all their support instructions it's done exactly nothing. Their contact support page hangs for nearly 10 minutes before timing out so I can't even contact them for more help.  

Seriously, fuck them.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Chummy8

OMFG I've been looking for this game for a long time.  Now I can finally play it and see what I've been missing!

Bumbuliuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bumbuliuz

Still havent forgive gog.com completly. But I couldnt resist picking this title up, been hoping for them to release this game and working in Windows 7 64 bit.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By amir90
    @august I bought this game last week, played about 10+ hours, it is truly an amazing game and tells a story that is fascinating. I was a bit bummed out by the lack of classes and abilities. But ever since I became a Mage level 9, it has been fun. I get the same feeling ingot when I tried baldurs gate 2 on 03/04 (which reminds me, when am I going to do BG 1?).

There is one thing this game needed badly, the tab option from BG, having to mouse over every fucking object and npc in ever area can get tedious sometimes. Still, stuff like that seems like minor issues when I talk to my companions ^^
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By august

@amir90:

If you still have the Golden Sphere hang onto it until the end of the game and max out your WIS.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By amir90
    @august

@amir90:

If you still have the Golden Sphere hang onto it until the end of the game and max out your WIS.

SPOILER AHEAD!

The thing I was suppose to give to pharod? Too late...
    jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jakkblades

@amir90: YOU FOOL!! It's a very, very big difference in the game. I would highly suggest playing again while maxing wisdom and holding on to the sphere. If you want either complete story resolution or to have a maximally powerful character, you need to keep the sphere.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Spoonman671

I already picked up the Fallout games on steam.  That fills this week's quota for purchasing old games that I'll probably never actually play.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By amir90
    @jakkblades

@amir90: YOU FOOL!! It's a very, very big difference in the game. I would highly suggest playing again while maxing wisdom and holding on to the sphere. If you want either complete story resolution or to have a maximally powerful character, you need to keep the sphere.

Fuck! I knew there was something funky about that sphere.
    I just thought I found it in such a non chalant way, that it wasnt THAT important. I guess that is the problem with balancing using guides/trying to play without help.

Baaah. I am pretty good on stats so far, 21 on INT with items, 18 WIS, 16 cha (got "fixed" several times, which helped me"

Not sure I want to start over again, I mean, I might read a dialog to fast and make the wrong choice (no way in hell I am reading the first 10 hours +++ at book reading speed).

Btw is this why :

SPOILER AHEAD

Pharod got killed by the shadows? I haven't run back to check his corpse just yet.
    jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jakkblades

@amir90: Oh, well, you're good, man. Just grab it off his corpse. If you haven't moved on to certain section of the game, you can still run back to the village and grab it.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By august

@amir90 said:

@jakkblades

Fuck! I knew there was something funky about that sphere. I just thought I found it in such a non chalant way, that it wasnt THAT important. I guess that is the problem with balancing using guides/trying to play without help. Baaah. I am pretty good on stats so far, 21 on INT with items, 18 WIS, 16 cha (got "fixed" several times, which helped me" Not sure I want to start over again, I mean, I might read a dialog to fast and make the wrong choice (no way in hell I am reading the first 10 hours +++ at book reading speed). Btw is this why : SPOILER AHEAD .... Pharod got killed by the shadows? I haven't run back to check his corpse just yet.

WIS is important to dialogue options and understanding what's really going on. It also increases the amount of xp you get from everything. So I would suggesting making it your priority. It's not like the combat is difficult anyway.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By azrailx

great fucking game

played it a least 3 times, which is a big deal for an story driven rpg

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.