Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Planetary Annihilation

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Sep 05, 2014

Planetary Annihilation is a large-scope real-time strategy game inspired by Total Annihilation.

Planetary Annihilation launches Today!

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By TheAdmin

Anyone pick this one up and give it a go now that it's officially released? Any hope of a QL about this game? I'm curious to know if its any good.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Holy shit, I totally forgot that the release date was now.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Huh, wasn't ready for this already.

Hope it's running better than it was a few months ago, I was having some server issues or something and it basically borked my single player campaign. The fact that it's running games in that manner concerns me for launch day.

I'm kind of sad that instead of a fully fledged single player they went with more of a conquest mode, but it is what it is i guess.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Bollard

It's done now?

Huh, that's weird. The game felt a little aimless sadly, you just make tons of shit for the sake of it. The vast quantity of units you make and the huge amounts of each currency you get makes choices of what to make seem inconsequential, and chaotic.

Owlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Owlhead

When did the announcement happen where Uber pushed the work of the other factions onto the modding community? I havn't checked PA in a while and it seems like they kinda just dropped it...

BigD145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The lack of other armies is disappointing. Release should have cut out the "phone home" aspect.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I picked up the early access version of this about two months ago and came away really unimpressed. Has it improved much since then?

thedarkmatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like people aren't that impressed with it. Also, no news about it being released?

The concept is cool, the execution seems not cool.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By T_wester

I bought the game due to the idea of fighting across a solar system and crashing moons into planets. All that is in there unfortunately are the camera controls just awful, I can't shake the feeling that I would enjoy the game more if it was on a flat rather than spherical plane but then it would just be supreme commander.

I will continue to play the game more to see if I can get used to the camera or find the sweet spot in the settings but I'm skeptical.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rowr

Just checked this out again now that it's fully released and I dunno it's pretty much what you would expect. I'm never going to play something like this competitively so it's a little upsetting there is no proper single player campaign, I'll probably play through a little galactic war anyway to get my monies worth. The whole server game stuff or however it's handled really gives me the shits though, and I still run into fucking interface issues with the camera getting stuck zoomed in or things lagging out or I don't know it's something new everytime - In all these cases the usual solution is to quit out and start again, unfortunately i think that just records whatever map I was on as a loss though and it takes a LOT of motivation to reboot the game at that point. When I first booted it up I got an unskippable opening cut scene which was fine if the youtube player with them announcing the changes wasn't running simultaneously in the background - it's those things. I guess you get what you pay for though and you can't expect triple A delivery every time out of a kickstarter launched game.

edit - This hasn't really topped the steam top sellers as much as you might expect and the full release has felt super quiet, but I really think that at this point they probably actually made their majority of sales during the early access period - which is kind of interesting to me in terms of when a studio might decide to call it done and move on etc. (not to say anything about this release, I just think in general it's interesting.)

@t_wester said:

I bought the game due to the idea of fighting across a solar system and crashing moons into planets. All that is in there unfortunately are the camera controls just awful, I can't shake the feeling that I would enjoy the game more if it was on a flat rather than spherical plane but then it would just be supreme commander.

I will continue to play the game more to see if I can get used to the camera or find the sweet spot in the settings but I'm skeptical.

Im pretty sure you can pretty much entirely control the camera with the middle mouse button? I've definitely found that relatively smooth and simple.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By CheapPoison

I am still interested in this game... but they handled their early access and kickstarter in such a dodgy way.

Tomba_be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tomba_be

I played it about half a year ago, and this week since it dropped the Early Access label. There's barely any difference. It is still very buggy, it still requires you to be online even for single player (despite dev promises it could be played offline at the release) so you are at the mercy of their servers to be even able to play at all. If you are running a big game with several AI's and a large amount of units, the game slows down EVE-style (even in singleplayer) to allow the servers to handle the load. I've seen the same AI opponent (out of the 4 or 5 types you can choose from) both outproduce me so much it's not even funny (think normal human being VS Korean Starcraft Grandmaster times ten) in one battle, and in another battle he just stopped expanding and building units after about 15 minutes and just sat there until I attacked him. Also, you can't even save mid-game, so an epic battle between several opponents is pretty much impossible unless you can spend an entire day playing non-stop AND the servers don't crap out.

I did the planet smashing trick, which was kinda neat, once. The tutorial is just a link to a YouTube video. If you are not already familiar with Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander gameplay, expect to spend a lot of time reading Wikis, FAQs, guides,... If you are already familiar with that type of gameplay, expect to spend just slightly less time reading them until you figure out how to do anything slightly more advanced. There are a decent number of different units, but once you are in cross-planetary combat, most of them are completely useless...

I guess this might attract a very small group of multiplayer-only experts that can be bothered to figure everything out. If you were hoping for a new TA or SC type game, as I was, you best move on :(

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's very disappointing, I had high hopes for this game. Oh well :(

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Stepside

I've been playing it like mad and I've come across no issues. It's fucking awesome.

If you liked Supreme Commander (1&2), buy this now.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stepside said:

I've been playing it like mad and I've come across no issues. It's fucking awesome.

If you liked Supreme Commander (1&2), buy this now.

I'm getting crashes and bugs every goddamn time I boot it up to the point I've straight given up.

:( I want to play it.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr: Any updates? Still buggy?

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I have spend more time with the game and have some impressions, thanks for the camera tip btw. @rowr

• The best strategy for the game is never not be building, scouting, expanding and attacking.
    • The game really shines in team play with shared control of units. 1v1 is boring in comparison, see next point.
    • The planets are to small and they aren't interesting, the same strategy can be used on every planet with a few exceptions.
    • Invasions of a hostile planet can be near impossible and games end in a stalemate, if there aren't any moon to crash the opponent.
    • Exploding planets and crashing planets it each other is still very satisfying.
    • The campaign is largely irrelevant, it's just a string of skirmishes were a RNG determents your tech.
    • If you have a unstable Internet connection wait for the offline patch game is unplayable other wise. But there isn't much there if you don't play against people so maybe don't bother.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is getting drilled pretty hard in its few reviews. IGN gave it a 4.8

@stepside said:

@rowr: Any updates? Still buggy?

Haven't tried since, i think i'm just going to wait it out - every time i've tried to give it a chance it just hasn't wanted to work out for me aside from a couple of missions. Hopefully there is some post launch patches, i'll give it some time.

Then again I booted up Rome 2 yesterday after playing it a bit at launch, now that it's been updated. My units are disappearing on my two outer monitors in nvidia surround, a problem that never existed at launch, and i could only find a single unanswered post (posted yesterday also) when googling for answers. It's hard to keep up enthusiasm with this sort of shit sometimes.

Even then i'm not sure there is much here for me in PA than the occasional skirmish when i'm in the mood, I would of really liked a single player campaign - though i understand no one seems to give a fuck about that sort of thing anymore. It seems like they wouldn't have had the resources to do it well anyway so whatevs.

When is that RTS by the ex-homeworld developers coming out? Haven't heard anything forever.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr said:

When is that RTS by the ex-homeworld developers coming out? Haven't heard anything forever.

They apparently partnered with Gearbox, who bought the homeworld IP from THQ. Made a deal and now the game is officially a homeworld prequel.

Link to the story.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_wester said:
    @rowr said:

They apparently partnered with Gearbox, who bought the homeworld IP from THQ. Made a deal and now the game is officially a homeworld prequel.

Link to the story.

Oh.

I can't decide if that's good news or not. At least it's less likely gearbox will fuck up homeworld now i guess. Thanks, i must of missed this news.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.