7th Luchadeers Battalion now recruiting. (NC/Waterson East Coast)

#151 Edited by Butler (386 posts) -

AgentYork47 is my name.

And I can play most night Eastern Standard Time.

#152 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -
#153 Posted by Xanadu (357 posts) -

@Grimhild said:

Good job tonight, guys. Took everything the overpopulated TR could throw at us and still pushed them back.

Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

It was wicked fun! Thanks for showing a noob like me the ropes. BTW Im SgtClerk

#154 Posted by Butler (386 posts) -

I'm always outnumbered and outgunned cus I always miss the Sunderer or other transport so I end up huffing it. lol

Anywho, I know there is a Voip option in the game but of the few people who spoke I could barely make it out, it seemed very garbled. Some people came in clearer then others so maybe its a prob on the other end possibly. I changed the volume settings etc to see if that could fix it but to no avail. I was wondering if you guys and gals would be interested in Mumble (which is like Ventrillo in case you don't know)? The Giantbomb community has one set up for the other games such as BF3 and Guild Wars etc and I'm sure we can easily use it for our purposes since it seems to be always dead when I log on. just putting my two cents in there.

Anyway when are we all playing next? ^^

#155 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@Butler:

says he gets a weird sound looping bug after installing it. The amount of modifications it makes to .dll files makes me nervous too, even though that's most likely irrational paranoia. And also the last time I saw the GB Mumble server brought up, there was some weird schoolyard drama about who owned it and such and such. So I just left that idea alone.

He and some other friends of mine tend to use Skype most the time for gaming.

#156 Posted by Butler (386 posts) -

@Grimhild: Well I might pm you and anyone who else who wants it my Skype addy, cus I enjoy games 99% more if I can chat with the complete strangers I am playing it with.

#157 Posted by ESREVER (2694 posts) -

@Grimhild said:

@Butler:

says he gets a weird sound looping bug after installing it. The amount of modifications it makes to .dll files makes me nervous too, even though that's most likely irrational paranoia. And also the last time I saw the GB Mumble server brought up, there was some weird schoolyard drama about who owned it and such and such. So I just left that idea alone.

Yea, Hunter, Joneseh, Lightning, IrishEvo, and I are always in Skype together when we play. I use the outfit voip every once in and while though.

#158 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@ESREVER said:

@Grimhild said:

@Butler:

Yea, Hunter, Joneseh, Lightning, IrishEvo, and I are always in Skype together when we play. I use the outfit voip every once in and while though.

I'm all for having better communication, but that many people with open mic in a call is going to get REALLY noisy. Not to mention that I constantly have the Command channel with all the other outfit leaders talking in my ear while I'm playing, which is helpful and surprisingly consistent, given how lacking the squad VoiP can be. But that in addition to a Skype call with 12+ open mic Duders might be a bit much for me unless everyone can exhibit a little radio discipline when shit gets real, which I wouldn't expect or want to restrain you guys with, since everyone has their own idea of how to benefit from voice chat.

I guess it's worth a try, though.

#159 Posted by Butler (386 posts) -

@Grimhild said:

@ESREVER said:

@Grimhild said:

@Butler:

I'm all for having better communication, but that many people with open mic in a call is going to get REALLY noisy. Not to mention that I constantly have the Command channel with all the other outfit leaders talking in my ear while I'm playing, which is helpful and surprisingly consistent, given how lacking the squad VoiP can be. But that in addition to a Skype call with 12+ open mic Duders might be a bit much for me unless everyone can exhibit a little radio discipline when shit gets real, which I wouldn't expect or want to restrain you guys with, since everyone has their own idea of how to benefit from voice chat.

I hear ya. It's probably for the best then to restrain it because I'll be reciting Jack Burton monologues from Big Trouble in Little China while driving anything.

#160 Edited by Slaegar (716 posts) -

I'm gonna pop in and see whats hopping.

edit: Explosions and lots of blue names being dumb.

#161 Edited by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@Butler said:

@Grimhild said:

@ESREVER said:

@Grimhild said:

@Butler:

I hear ya. It's probably for the best then to restrain it because I'll be reciting Jack Burton monologues from Big Trouble in Little China while driving anything.

Well, that I can't argue with that lol It's more for the background babies etc and the barrage of inevitable 'FUCK! SHIT!'s coming from everyone, including myself. I also have a one of those Sidewinder mechanical keyboards that, while being awesome, is kind of noisy + French Tips over a mic, which you can hear in this video of Blackbern and I.

#162 Posted by Crocio (542 posts) -

Is it just me or are the Terrans overpowered?

#163 Edited by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@Crocio said:

Well, most of their weapons are much easier to shoot than the NC counterparts, and they have a pretty significant population advantage on Waterson. So even if most of their teeming masses are lower Battle Rank, they can still put more bullets on target than the average newbie/lowbie NC. NC weapons have a bit more stopping power, and a lot more recoil that take a bit of familiarization to use effectively. Other than that, it's a pretty even playing field. Playing as the Vanu, on the other hand, is easymode and always has been since the first Planetside.

#164 Posted by Subjugation (4722 posts) -

@Grimhild: Whoa, you aren't kidding. That's a lot of "click clack click click click" of the keyboard. I've heard lots of people say mechanical keyboards are awesome, but I've never understood why.

#165 Posted by ESREVER (2694 posts) -

@Grimhild: I feel like the reason for a good majority of the TR population on Waterson is due to TotalBiscuit and his fans. He rolls on Waterson as TR with the outfit "Let the Brits Drop."

#166 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@Subjugation:

Responsive and sturdy. And back-lit blue so it looks fly as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ;)

#167 Posted by PatVB (331 posts) -

@Grimhild: Soldier name: PatVanBrunt

Preferred time: evening (central)

#168 Posted by RioStarwind (547 posts) -

Soldier name: RioStarwind

Preferred time: after 4pm ET but I can be on semi random times during the day

#169 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

Soldier name: Oniichan420

Preferred time: Random times depending on the day

#170 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1461 posts) -

Red. All I see is red when I log on. So much red... *fetal position*

#171 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@insane_shadowblade85:

Yeah we pulled out of Amerish and were about to flip Esamir when I logged off just now. Need a break.

#172 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

Solider name is yoshimitz

#173 Edited by InritusOO (2 posts) -

Bah. TR now owns both Indar and Amerish. Esamir's a stalemate when I logged out. At least I'm getting better at flying and killing people without resorting to explosives.

#174 Posted by Potango (73 posts) -

I would like to join

my in game name is Potango

#175 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

One of these days I will spawn a Reaver. And I will fly that Reaver. And that Reaver will last more than five seconds without me accidentally pressing E to reload and launching myself out of the plane, and the plane into a mountain.

One day.

#176 Posted by OfficerMeatbeef (86 posts) -

Had a real great time with everyone who squaded up with me tonight! Never planned to be squad/platoon leader, whoever was in charge dropped out a bit before any of you joined I think. I know we maybe didn't get to grab as many areas as some might like, especially in the later bit where the NC pop started to dry up, but I think you all did an exceptional job with taking and holding what we did against generally greatly superior numbers.

Hope everyone had an equally good time and got a decent amount of certs out of it.

#177 Posted by VincentBlackrose (21 posts) -

Soldier name is OldJim

#178 Edited by Slaegar (716 posts) -
@Grimhild said:

@Crocio said:

Well, most of their weapons are much easier to shoot than the NC counterparts, and they have a pretty significant population advantage on Waterson. So even if most of their teeming masses are lower Battle Rank, they can still put more bullets on target than the average newbie/lowbie NC. NC weapons have a bit more stopping power, and a lot more recoil that take a bit of familiarization to use effectively. Other than that, it's a pretty even playing field. Playing as the Vanu, on the other hand, is easymode and always has been since the first Planetside.

I made an NC after playing on Vanu to play with giant bomb folks and very quickly realized that the NC weapons are WAAAAAY better when it comes to the killing part. As a vanu I got used to using clever tactics like hit and run since a direct confrontation would always end up as a loss. I don't have to worry about that with NC. I can just run straight into the fight, holding the trigger down and win most of the time. 

Trying to kill someone as a vanu infiltrator, I fired 3 shots into a heavy. At a range farther than I could reliably hit with the default sniper rifle, he returned fire and killed me in 3-5 shots, with the stock gun. When playing as an NC heavy I quickly noticed you could kill 5 people easily without needing to reload.
#179 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

I'm on right now pretty much steamrolling Amerish with the rest of NC. It's not very exciting so if anybody still needs an outfit invite hit me with a friend request and I'll send out invites during the slow periods.

Also want to say that random engineers that look at you like you have three heads when you spam the "I NEED AMMO" voice are the worst. I need to set up my microphone just so I can yell "GIVE ME SOME FUCKING AMMO YOU DUMBASS!"

#180 Posted by TheHT (11376 posts) -

@Morbid_Coffee: there was a medic earlier tonight that wouldn't heal me unless i gave her ammo. thing is, i was a jetpack guy. she kept shouting for ammo and i kept shouting for health and we both got killed by a magrider.

moments like that make me want to roll as an engy or medic to spare other people that sort of nonsense.

#181 Posted by Moztacular (467 posts) -
@Grimhild: I'll take an invite. 

soldier name is  moztacular

I'll be on evenings NA east coast time.
#182 Posted by cadwr (54 posts) -

Soldier name is Cadwr

I generally play late evening / night EST.

I'm still learning the ropes, but having a lot of fun so far.

#183 Posted by AlbinoJerk (84 posts) -

Hey I could use an invite.  This is my first time playing any planetside.  I have been in the GW2 guild since launch and finally been able to stop playing long enough to play other games. 

IGN: AlbinoJerk 

Thanks

#184 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

I'll be playing for the next hour if anybody needs an outfit invite.

#185 Posted by spiralcut (118 posts) -

I'd like to join up.

Soldier name Dathadan

Time EST, 9-11 PM

#186 Posted by TheManiacsGnome (270 posts) -

Soldier name: TheManiacsGnome

I work weird hours every day but monday/tuesday and every other wednesday I'm golden.

I'm sorry I didn't browse the whole thread, any word on a GB Ventrilo/TS3/Mumble server? If not, I might need to rent one for us. It's considerably easier to coordinate with others when you have somewhere to idle and congregate without leaving the game running. Let me know!

#187 Posted by Chtasm (452 posts) -

Oorah, Luchadeers! Small victories are still victories.

#188 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

GG tonight guys. Way to step up as squad lead too, . You did alright ;)

#189 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Sorry you guys had to see me complain about bad sunderers. But they were some really bad sunderers.

#190 Posted by cadwr (54 posts) -

That was a lot of fun. Wish I didn't have to miss 40 minutes of it to help my roommate dye her hair...

#191 Edited by OfficerMeatbeef (86 posts) -

Ha, thanks, you did alright as a subordinate yourself. Everyone was really great, even the new blood held their own just fine. I got no aspirations to be a leader, I just like everyone to know where the hell they're going and why.

Everyone with a mic should have a go at it; as long as you're active and communicating you can't really go wrong, and it's a great way to start thinking about the map and how to get around it. Plus having a group of squaddies following you around is pretty rad all by itself.

Damn straight. Ya know, the very end of my run and not quite ever taking Makala was a bummer, but earlier on our scrappy little squad of scamps managed to push out mostly on our lonesome and score some pretty large victories in grabbing a few other major facilities and structures. Sure, we might have got pushed back some in the end, but had we not been there earlier there's a real good chance TR would have taken the continent out from under us hours ago. That's all the NC can ask of a squad out on our own.

Also not our fault when the rest of the faction buggers off as soon as the going gets a bit tough, eh?

#192 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

I haven't had the time to be on for a while. I think it'll be best if you guys demote my Officer status so that I don't leave people hanging with regards to invites to the Outfit.

Meat: I do try to voice in once in a while but not really speaking the language makes it tougher to make those quick to the point messages in time. I absolutely agree that using a microphone online is something that really benefits everyone involved, but if you don't normally use one when gaming, it can take some time to adjust.

Again, If you want to ensure an invite faster, please post in this thread so that the officers and NCOs can spot you. Keep in mind that you can only be invited when you are Online.

#193 Posted by Subjugation (4722 posts) -

@TheManiacsGnome: As far as I know we just use in game VOIP, but it really seems to be inconsistent in its reliability. Some small groups use Skype. I don't think we really have a place where we all congregate as of right now, but I'm not sure how many people have/use mics yet. It's really beneficial, so I hope everyone tries to.

@OfficerMeatbeef: Also not our fault that the rest of the faction totally ignores the calls to use Light Assault to hop the shields and push forward.

#194 Posted by cadwr (54 posts) -

Yeah I would definitely recommend using a mic. I was using the built-in mic on my laptop so I hope it sounded okay. I played around with the settings until the recording test sounded good, but I don't know how it came out on the other end.

#195 Edited by TheManiacsGnome (270 posts) -

@Subjugation: @Grimhild:

It's 12.84 for a 50 slot, for some reason I thought I would be spending more. Anywho, I'll register this Ventrilo server tomorrow or Monday. I'll just do it monthly recurring for now, see how much it gets used if people in the Outfit still opt to use the VOIP in game than we can kill it.

I can do Mumble instead, but I've never used it so I don't know what I'm doing there. It's up to you guys, I'm somewhat chasing the experience I had with Planetside 1 here so whatever the group consensus is, I'll go with that.

#196 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

I was all like "man I'm too lazy to reboot the game to set up my mic" and then all you guys started using mics and I was really bummed that I wasn't. Next time.

#197 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Just signed up for first time since beta - is there any particular faction we are all flocking to?

#198 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Also soldier name :- Merqurius

Play time - whenever i get the chance, uk time zones and all :D

#199 Edited by Subjugation (4722 posts) -

@OmegaPirate: Server and faction info are listed in the OP. Waterson and NC.

Edit: Too many sons.

#200 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@TheManiacsGnome:

I won't stop you from setting up a TS server, but I also don't want you to drop the money for it unless people would actually use it. The in game VoiP was actually working pretty well last night, and the in-game Command Channel with all the other outfit leaders is usually talking as well, so I'd still end up having to use both while playing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.