Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlanetSide 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

PlanetSide 2 is the sequel to the 2003 MMOFPS PlanetSide from Sony Online Entertainment which remains one of the most notable and successful games in the genre.

Allies and enemies pop in and out?

killerclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By killerclaw

Has anyone been playing and noticing that your allies and enemies will just pop in and out of being visible (I'm not talking about infiltrator cloak). I want to play as an infiltrator, but can never find anyone to shoot because they'll pop-up for a half a second and then vanish again, it seems to get MUCH worse the farther I try to snipe.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Subjugation

I never experienced this problem, even back in beta. I'll see guys moving across the map all jerky, but that is just latency. I have no idea what may be causing "invisible players" like you suggest unless they use some sort of player culling.

killerclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By killerclaw

I'm not sure, but it is really turning me off to the game, or at-least to playing infiltrator when I can never find anyone to shoot :(

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Christoffer

Yeah, it's quite annoying. But there must be a limit as to how far the engine will render models, simple as that. I doubt it's a bug, just an annoying necessity to get the game to run well in those huge areas.

sharkeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sharkeh

The only time I've seen people appear/disappear is when they're lagging bad. Other than that I've not had this happen.

Fat_Irish7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fat_Irish7890

happens all the time for me.

year199X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By year199X

It's really annoying when it happens, but it's happened only a few times for me.

killerclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By killerclaw

I'm going to play one more time before passing judgement, but if this is true, its a massive game-breaker for me.

A competitive game, let alone an FPS that will phase in and out units, ruins the competitiveness.

The amount of players on the screen at once is possible (EVE has massive battles)

mmzOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mmzOne
    Avatar image for officermeatbeef
    officermeatbeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By officermeatbeef

The next patch (supposed to come out this coming week) apparently will be dealing with this. Hopefully it'll be enough.

Right now, I'd like to say it's not generally an issue, since supposedly if you can't see an enemy they can't see you either. But honestly in certain situations (Tech Plant assaults in particular) it really does pretty much completely break the game.

It's important to keep in mind that something like EVE and this aren't at all comparable, because the amount of geometry and accuracy of position that EVE has to render, considering it is in space, is magnitudes less than an FPS like PS2. Nonetheless, that doesn't excuse it; if you can't cover a friendly because you can't see the enemies they are approaching, the game is broken, simple as that.

Avatar image for beautifulspacecowboy
    BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I have experienced this as well, and it has resulted in my death a couple of times. However, I think it has helped me out too. I will be glad to see it addressed in a patch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.