Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlanetSide 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

PlanetSide 2 is the sequel to the 2003 MMOFPS PlanetSide from Sony Online Entertainment which remains one of the most notable and successful games in the genre.

Planetside 2 on PS4 Confirmed

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Planetside 2 on PS4 is confirmed, as is Free 2 Play as a business model. Hate to say I told you so. Looking forward to seeing what Free 2 Play will mean for the console gaming landscape. While I don't play Planetside 2 on PC, for some reason I think I might on PS4.

Anyways - here's the trailer.

P.S. So is DC Universe Online

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

Any word if this, Warframe, and any other F2P games on the PS4 will be cross-platform with PC?

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hughesman

Neat. Surprised they are porting DCUO over as well. That game must have a decent player base or the port was very cheap to make that a good idea.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By connerthekewlkid

Will there be cross-platform play? Because Planetside 2 on PC is getting kind of barren.

That and I wanna see how they can optimize since PS2 is infamous for poor optimization.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By artelinarose

I wanted to say the entire time I watched that trailer that it seemed very scripted and too dramatic to be real, but as a regular PS2 player, no, that's definitely the game and those are definitely real players speaking and playing.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@artemesia said:

I wanted to say the entire time I watched that trailer that it seemed very scripted and too dramatic to be real, but as a regular PS2 player, no, that's definitely the game and those are definitely real players speaking and playing.

"Lib taking of in 30 seconds" "How do I join a platoon"? "Sign up on our website for members benefits in our squad" "Is anyone else lagging badly?" "No just get a better computer"

Also some guy in the comments said that SOE followed their squad around so I think they followed some tacticool clan around and didn't just record regular in game chat.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jayjonesjunior

Now people can't complain about no backward compatibility. :p

That and I wanna see how they can optimize since PS2 is infamous for poor optimization.

A closed platform might be just what PS2 needed.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By artelinarose

@artemesia said:

"Lib taking of in 30 seconds" "How do I join a platoon"? "Sign up on our website for members benefits in our squad" "Is anyone else lagging badly?" "No just get a better computer"

Also some guy in the comments said that SOE followed their squad around so I think they followed some tacticool clan around and didn't just record regular in game chat.

I have been part of some pretty well organized platoons. You just have to manually join the ones that aren't named something like KILL ALL VS THEY ARE IDIOTS!!!!!!

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid said:

@artemesia said:

I have been part of some pretty well organized platoons. You just have to manually join the ones that aren't named something like KILL ALL VS THEY ARE IDIOTS!!!!!!

I was too, I was part of the official 4chan clan and they were pretty good but most everybodys gone from it now.

Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Isn't Planetside 2 already like MAG or Warhawk? Great ambition but just lacking that something that is needed to build a large player base. Planetside 2 just feels a lot like walking around wondering where everyone went with the fun.

I'm not saying that they can't work, I'm just think they have small enough shelf life on PC (let alone consoles) until the next new thing takes away the community. PS4 is going to take a long time to grow to current-gen levels and MMOs / F2P haven't got a great track record of sustaining interest both in the players and developers. People are going to be so busy with all the flashy new stuff that only a small % will want to play an "old PC game".

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By artelinarose

@piranesi said:

Isn't Planetside 2 already like MAG or Warhawk? Great ambition but just lacking that something that is needed to build a large player base. Planetside 2 just feels a lot like walking around wondering where everyone went with the fun.

I don't get that feeling at all, there are tons of people still playing the game. I can very easily log in and find something to do.

Or maybe I am just fanboygirling because the first one took up a whooole lot of my time when I was 12-13.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is all cool news, with them grabbing these random F2P games/MMOs. Curious to see how much that trend continues. I'll have to give some of these a shot.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

This is all cool news, with them grabbing these random F2P games/MMOs. Curious to see how much that trend continues. I'll have to give some of these a shot.

All of these games were already made and owned by SOE.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Dust was the Playstation's Planetside?

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By connerthekewlkid

Whelp just tried to boot up PS2 to play of few games but another weekly 2GB patch, guess ill just sit here awhile.....

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By awesomeusername

I thought Dust was the Playstation's Planetside?

It's PS3's Planetside. CCP said Dust won't be going to PS4.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

All of these games were already made and owned by SOE.

I realize that, but they still didn't have to bring it to PS4. My hope is that them doing this in-house at first will lead to them getting outsiders more.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mrsignerman44

It'd be awesome if they could somehow make this a launch title. I really enjoyed the first one and never got to play this because of my shitty pc so this game would be sort of a selling point for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.