Planetside Abbreviations...

#1 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2493 posts) -

so, I've noticed that some people are actually abbreviating the Planetside games as PS1 and PS2.

Cmon' guys...

That's like saying T2 is an abbreviation for Transformers 2.

I'm as hyped up for Planetside 2 as anybody else... but PS1 and PS2 are both already so iconic, it's kind of ridiculous to try and replace those abbreviations.

#2 Posted by Jackel2072 (2253 posts) -

thats the hash tags the twitter account uses, so blame the devs for starting that.

#3 Posted by CrazyBagMan (839 posts) -

No one's trying to replace anything, that's just the logical acronym.

#4 Posted by Hero_Swe (1130 posts) -

Doesn't work like that anymore. For instance MW means Mechwarrior to me. You can bet all the money in the world it doesn't for others.

#5 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

Yeah we've been using PS as an abbreviation since Planetside 1's release, lol. Not our fault some terrible console was named after Planetside... (Duck and cover!)

#6 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

@Rohok said:

Yeah we've been using PS as an abbreviation since Planetside 1's release, lol. Not our fault some terrible console was named after Planetside... (Duck and cover!)

Playstation 1 came out in 1994....

#7 Edited by Snail (8594 posts) -

I've definitely been confused by the use of PS2 as the acronym for Planetside 2, but then again, before there was a Playstation 2 console there were PS/2 connectors. So I guess that acronym just happens to get used with an unusual amount of different meanings related to video games/technology?

#8 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1825 posts) -

@jking47 said:

@Rohok said:

Playstation 1 came out in 1994....

this will only end well

#9 Posted by Dagbiker (6964 posts) -

I hear people also refer to games that are not Mechwarrior by the initials MW

#10 Posted by Zaccheus (1792 posts) -

Acronyms aren't really set in stone, they should always be used in context. So if someone on Planetside 2 forums uses PS2 you can probably decipher the meaning of it.

#11 Posted by Trav (241 posts) -

PlaSi2. Boom. Or PLSD2. Pleased 2, the sequel to Pleased. You know. Everything is broken.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.