Popcap Reveals Plants vs. Zombies 2

#1 Edited by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

One source.

Not much more details, other than a "late spring 2013" release window.

Are you excited? Indifferent? I loved the first game, hopefully they'll stick to that winning formula.

EDIT: News are soured a bit, since apparently the creator of the original game, George Fan, was one of the employees at Popcap who lost his job yesterday. Which is sort of odd since they, well, revealed Plants vs. Zombies 2 the day before the layoff announcement. This according to Edmund McMillen (indie developer) on his Twitter.

#2 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

At least it's not more Bejeweled.

#3 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I'm pumped.

#4 Posted by Lemonhead (68 posts) -

Finally, darn it that took them long.

#5 Edited by alternate (2719 posts) -

I am always surprised how few sequels Popcap does. Okay, you can play bejeweled, peggle and PvZ on your toaster and every device in between but if it were Angry Birds or someone like Zinga I suspect we would be up to Bejeweled 9, Peggle Seasons and PvZ in Space by now.

#6 Posted by 49th (2816 posts) -

Awesome, I had a fun time playing the first one on my phone when I was bored.

#7 Posted by RAGEosaurus (137 posts) -
@mtcantor said:

At least it's not more Bejeweled.

Amen to that! I play some Bejeweled 2 endless every now and then, currently level 193, but dear god it is so boring AND im not even halfway to completing it. Takes the piss.
#8 Posted by bchampnd (108 posts) -

Goodbye way too many hours of my life when this gets released. I've played through the first one a bunch of times (pretty much whenever I get a new device) and always come back for more.

It will be interesting to see if they can improve on the original without turning it into just another tower defense game.

#9 Posted by Ben_H (3411 posts) -

SO EXCITED. 

I've spent far too many hours with the original. I own it 5 times over too.

#10 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

Cant wait to hear the new stuff they're going to add.

#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

ZOMG GET HYPEindifferent.

Currently bored of:

• Zombies
  • Plants vs Zombies
  • Sequels
  • Casual games
  • Devs staying within their comfort zone
#12 Posted by Lukeweizer (2748 posts) -

I'm scared it's going to be micro-transactioned to hell.

#13 Posted by Village_Guy (2657 posts) -

I'm interesting in what it could be, especially if this rumor is true.

"Citing a “Canadian industry source with ties to Electronic Arts,” Kotaku are reporting that PopCap is looking at making the title for consoles, “in the vein of Team Fortress 2.″

Backing up the frankly insane rumour is news that PopCap has set up a new team at EA Canada’s Burnaby office.

Apparently, the new team is mostly staffed by ex EA Black Box employees. They’ve been hiring for an animator with motion capture experience and a designer with multiplayer shooter experience."

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-12499-WTF--PopCap-Planning-Plants-vs--Zombies-Multiplayer-Shooter-.html

#14 Posted by mosespippy (4371 posts) -

The original wasn't something I could play for hours and hours like Peggle or Bejeweled. There is something truly frustrating and monotonus about building up a defence and then winning only to have to rebuild it again in the next round. I'd rather play a Peggle sequel, which I'm sure will be coming soon since EA is now in charge.

#15 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

What was the plot in PvZ? Hopefully EA dosent ruin the flash game porting ability of PopCap like they did to Bioware.

#16 Posted by Superkenon (1487 posts) -

Cool.

#17 Posted by Lava (672 posts) -

I enjoyed this game it'll be interesting to see what the do with it in a sequel. Plants vs. Zombies vs. ???

#18 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

I don't think I need another one, I enjoyed the first one but I am really, really tired of tower defense games.

#19 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

I'm suprised they took so long! Good for them for not milking it to death just yet,

#20 Posted by big_jon (5772 posts) -

I am very happy about this, I was hoping they would do a second.

#21 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

What was the plot in PvZ?

There are zombies on your lawn. You better use these plants if you don't want them in your house.

Credits.

#22 Posted by Irvandus (2885 posts) -

Eh, I got my fill with the last one.

#23 Posted by geirr (2679 posts) -

Dissapointed I have to wait so long, happy it's officially announced though since I love me some PvZ.

#24 Posted by Brodehouse (10106 posts) -

I'd rather have Peggle 2. I fucking love Peggle, you guys. Peggle was in my top 10 GOTY for 2007. That game is crazy good.

#25 Posted by RE_Player1 (7573 posts) -

I just hope it doesn't take them years to bring it to multiple platforms. Even though it started on PC I much prefer the Vita and iPad version.

#26 Posted by BaneFireLord (2967 posts) -
@alternate said:

PvZ in Space by now.

That actually sounds pretty awesome.
#27 Posted by AjayRaz (12464 posts) -

this sounds cool, but it's probably not for me. i don't think i need any more Plants vs Zombies unless they really spice it up

#28 Posted by EuanDewar (5094 posts) -

Thats cool but PEGGLE IS LITERALLY ONE OF MY FAVOURITE GAMES EVER AND I WOULD LET DUDES IN MY ASS FOR A SEQUEL

#29 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

@alternate said:

I am always surprised how few sequels Popcap does. Okay, you can play bejeweled, peggle and PvZ on your toaster and every device in between but if it were Angry Birds or someone like Zinga I suspect we would be up to Bejeweled 9, Peggle Seasons and PvZ in Space by now.

I'd play PvZ in Space.

#30 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I'd rather have Peggle 2. I fucking love Peggle, you guys. Peggle was in my top 10 GOTY for 2007. That game is crazy good.

But...I love them both! And Peggle Nights was sort of Peggle 2... :)

#31 Posted by ch3burashka (5179 posts) -

I found it entertaining for a while (played the campaign at least 3 times through on both PC and iOS) but it's frankly a very shallow game with shallow mechanics. Unless they completely overhaul the system, I won't be impressed. I may get sucked in for a month, but it'll be a meaningless month. Then again, that's PopCap's bread-n-butter: shallow, quick-n-easy games that are suited for a short bus ride.

A long time ago, one of the Bombers mentioned on the podcast (Ryan?) that despite the fun factor, actually loading up PvZ on an Xbox required much more effort and time than he was willing to spend. If it's not instantaneously accessible, it doesn't make sense to play it - it's not made for long sessions.

#32 Posted by rand0mZer00 (299 posts) -

I am really exicted for it!

I really loved the first game, played it on numerous devices and still enjoyed it. I can't wait.

#33 Posted by sodacat (217 posts) -

Freaking finally. I thought they were going to announce this at E3 when EA had PvZ on their sizzle reel.

#34 Posted by manbot47 (239 posts) -

As much as i love the first one the way they've been going back and ringing every last dollar they could out of the first one has put a bitter taste in my mouth as of late. They just kept re-releasing it and merchandizing the hell out of it and advertizing it for way too long after the fact. Hopefully a sequel will remind me why i love this franchise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.