Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Player Character

Concept »

Any character you can control in a game is a Player Character (PC), as opposed to a non-player character (NPC), which is a character that can only be controlled by the game.

Do you prefer to play as a written character, or an avatar?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Willy105

In games with characters, you play as two types of characters:

...or see what happens to him next.
     ...or see what happens to him next.

To imagine yourself as the hero....
     To imagine yourself as the hero....
    An Avatar: Like Mario, Link, Master Chief, Mii, and such. These are characters meant to be your representative in the game, it's what you are supposed to be. It puts you in a position to view what is happening in the game as your own story. This sacrifices depth of story with immersion.

A Written Character: Like Solid Snake, Samus, Alan Wake, and such. These characters are not you, but someone in the story, which you guide on his way. It puts you as a cheering spectator, motivating the character to complete the plot. This sacrifices immersion for depth of story.

Which type of character you enjoy more? Avatar characters like Mario and Master Chief become very popular in pop culture, because by nature any appearance of them would be as credible as their own games. Characters with established rules and stories have a harder time becoming popular, but they gain respect from the fan base.

Which is more important to you?
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FlyingRat

The second one. I wouldn't consider Samus one of them though, you're basing that on Other M i assume?

LlamaLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By LlamaLlama

A written character. I'd rather sacrifice immersion of a sorts than story.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By apathylad
    @FlyingRat said:
    " The second one. I wouldn't consider Samus one of them though, you're basing that on Other M i assume? "
    There was a fair amount of first person narration in Fusion. 
    Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Junkerman

I dont believe its as simple as that.  Games like Mass Effect would then be considered both as Shepard is written, but also highly customizable personally.  And I wouldnt say that playing a "written" character sacrifices immersion either,  Alan Wake is one of the most immersing games I've played this year, much more so then any Zelda or Mario game.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By FreakAche

I don't think Samus belongs under written characters, especially when you have Master Chief, a character who has some dialogue, listed as an avatar.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

I'd definitely rather play as a written character. This year, all my favourite games have had one distinguishable main character, even Shepard who is highly customizable still has enough personality to be compelling.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By CaptainObvious

Written characters are more memorable to me.

Singeslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Singeslayer

I prefer games in which I watch the events play out....mostly. In RPG games unless it is well done like ME (I guess, I've never played either) I prefer to make all my own choices. All depends

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By EVO
    @Willy105 said:
    " An Avatar: Like Mario, Link, Master Chief, Mii, and such. These are characters meant to be your representative in the game, it's what you are supposed to be. It puts you in a position to view what is happening in the game as your own story. This sacrifices depth of story with immersion.

A Written Character: Like Solid Snake, Samus, Alan Wake, and such. These characters are not you, but someone in the story, which you guide on his way. It puts you as a cheering spectator, motivating the character to complete the plot. This sacrifices immersion for depth of story. "
    I think you got those bits mixed up. Meal Gear Solid, Metroid Prime and Alan Wake are far more immersive than any game Mario and Link has appeared in.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond

My only problem with written characters is when the writer is a complete dumbass.  Mafia 1's writing had the main character making idiotic choices for the sake of having a story at all.  That kind of stuff turns me off games completely.

I strongly prefer having some kind of actual story control in a game.  I may prefer the avatar overall when I consider games like Elder Scrolls or GTA/RDR that gives you some control...

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @EVO said:

" @Willy105 said:

" An Avatar: Like Mario, Link, Master Chief, Mii, and such. These are characters meant to be your representative in the game, it's what you are supposed to be. It puts you in a position to view what is happening in the game as your own story. This sacrifices depth of story with immersion.

A Written Character: Like Solid Snake, Samus, Alan Wake, and such. These characters are not you, but someone in the story, which you guide on his way. It puts you as a cheering spectator, motivating the character to complete the plot. This sacrifices immersion for depth of story. "
    I think you got those bits mixed up. Meal Gear Solid, Metroid Prime and Alan Wake are far more immersive than any game Mario and Link has appeared in. "
    I wouldn't even consider Mario, Link or Master Chief as "avatar characters". They are "mostly-silent protagonist", but by no means are a virtual representation of the player behind the controller. Heck, they have names. I'm not pretending I am Master Chief, I'm playing as Master Chief.  You are not being Mario, you are controlling Mario.  Basically any character from an FPS could be considered an "avatar" of the player by the same rule. As an avatar character I would include only characters that you can create and give a personality, within the limits of the game of course. For example, the player characters from Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, any MMORPG...  What is the difference between Link and Samus? Samus has a few more lines than Link in some games, but that's it. Would Luigi be a scripted character? When you play as him, he is a Mario clone. When he's another character, like in Paper Mario, he speaks and behaves like any other "written" character. And speaking of Mass Effect, I think it has both a pretty good immersion and a pretty deep story... 

Anyway, I think it depends on the game. For an RPG I like being able to flesh out my character as much as possible, but in a game story-driven game like Alan Wake or MGS, I like a pre-scripted character that develops on par with the development of the plot.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

Depends on the developer. If you suck at characterization like Team Ninja or Sonic Team, I'd rather you not try. Know your limitations.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Willy105
    @EVO 

That's different. Getting involved in the story and what happens next is different than having yourself in the position of the story, and play it out as you see it. For example, in a game like Alan Wake, you talk to your friends about what happened in the story, not on how you traveled from the car to the bridge. In a game like Zelda, you talk about how you finished a dungeon, not on what the giant spider meant for Link's character development.

@JoeyRavn 

I would argue Mass Effect is more an Avatar game, because although it is written beforehand, you decide which plot point you get and how it plays out, so it would have the same reaction to you as if it was an Avatar game, because you are personally involved in the game, not as a cheering spectator.
    rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By rapid

I like to play a written character you can customize.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Turambar

Immersion is one of those things that I am still puzzled by in games.  I have never, and will never somehow feel like I'm the character I'm playing on the screen.  My brain will constantly be telling me: "hey, those decisions on the screen?  They are works of fiction and will never come up in reality."  And by extension, I'm always somewhat surprised when people try to praise immersion in a game because it just doesn't exist for me.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#17  Edited By Jazz

Written all the way...though MC does actually have a personality and is not merely an avatar for the player.  
    At least I think he does. 
    Oh god....I just don't know anymore. 

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

It depends, good game writing can suck me in more so than an avatar. 
    But an avatar can instantly make me feel connected to some of the events and characters in the game.  

Mass Effect does a good balancing act between the avatar and written character divide. My Shepard didn't look anything like the original but still hit the same written marks meant for me to hit during gameplay. It drew me in and made me feel like I was my Shepard but also felt the story was amazing and kept me driving towards the ending.  

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By lego_my_eggo

i would have to say "avatar" games. very few games can really pull it off so more often then not "written" characters games end up being better. but games like ico, shadow of the colossus and deamon's souls i fell like my actions in the game are because i choose to do them, not because the game told me to do them.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpiralStairs

Written Avatar

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aronman789

EDIT: depends on the character

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Willy105 said:
    " @EVO 

That's different. Getting involved in the story and what happens next is different than having yourself in the position of the story, and play it out as you see it. For example, in a game like Alan Wake, you talk to your friends about what happened in the story, not on how you traveled from the car to the bridge. In a game like Zelda, you talk about how you finished a dungeon, not on what the giant spider meant for Link's character development.

@JoeyRavn   I would argue Mass Effect is more an Avatar game, because although it is written beforehand, you decide which plot point you get and how it plays out, so it would have the same reaction to you as if it was an Avatar game, because you are personally involved in the game, not as a cheering spectator. "
    I think the criteria you are using to distinguish between both options is a bit blurry. For example, you talk about character development. What happens in a game like, I dunno, Rogue? The character is fully created by the player, but there is no character development at all, so questioning in what way killing a certain enemy contributes to the character development of your in-game persona is rather pointless. Besides, what you talk about depends on, well, you. Anyone can say that the meeting with the Deku Tree in Ocarina of Time is a milestone in the personal story of Link, when he embraces his position as the Hero of Time and embarks on a journey that will affect him both physically (getting older, stronger, etc.) and psychologically (he will meet his love interest, he will be "tricked" by Sheik, he will have to face the "ultimate evil", etc). Maybe it's a bit far-fetched, but I what I want to show is that you can argue that any game where you are controlling a character that is not yourself could be classified as an "avatar game", to a certain extent. In no game you are a "cheering spectator"*, every game needs the input of the player. Sure, a game like Mass Effect needs a lot more input from the player than, let's say, Halo, but you classified them both as "avatar games"... I think we should speak of "player-created" character and "scripted characters", with a huuuge space in-between where more hybrid games fall in. 

My two cents, of course.

*Well, maybe in the couple last Final Fantasies, but I disgress... 
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Cornman89

Depends.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By mutha3

Silent protagonists are ass.

However, if the result is something terrible, I'd rather have the character not speak at all.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By landon

Even if its a pre-determined character, I still like to imagine myself as that person.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.