Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Player vs Player

Concept »

Player versus Player, commonly abbreviated as PvP, is a gaming term that originated in MMOs to refer to gameplay in which players fight against other player controlled characters.

When Carebears Join PvP Servers Does It Ruin Your Experience?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

TOP EDIT:  In no way do I hate Carebears, some of them are really cool and we have a few on the site!   

Sup fellow friends (and many of you who dislike me), 

I was thinking over something, when I read a thread about Adult Only Lobbies for online games, I was wondering how some of you feel when carebears join a PvP server due to friends, relationships, etc.  I remember when I played WoW last year, which can be found in my Blog in the WoW Forums, I used to kill dudes who rested for no reason other than to kill them. 

Some of those users were Carebears who joined the server to spend time with friends.  They would be ill with me, and say I was very bad things, and I simply asked why they would join the server then.  I often wondered what drives the Carebears to act the way they act. 

They lack any backbone to stand up for themselves or what they believe in.  When it comes to combat, they for some reason, miss the resolve to fight.   

So I ask of you, if you were to join a PvP server and Carebears start joining the server for the sake of friends and whatnot, how does it make you feel? 

WIKI QUESTION:  How do we not have a Carebear concept?  O_o

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

I'd like to think I had a part in creating this thread!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

The fuck is a carebear?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I think people who use the term "carebear" ruin my gaming experience.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KaosAngel
    @AlexW00d said:

" The fuck is a carebear? "

1. Lightly derogatory term for an MMO player who avoids PVP combat, heavily preferring cooperative or solo PVE combat, chatting, or developing tradeskills/running quests. Depending on the game and the individual, this PVP avoidance can show up in several ways: by playing on strict non-PVP servers; by avoiding PVP areas or declining duels; or, by avoiding or condemning PVP players. Philosophically, they often cite unbalanced combat systems, overpowered guilds, ebayed characters, and ganking as reasons to prefer less aggressive play. The mindset can be self-sustaining in several ways: high-level "care bears" may have avatars that are tailored for PVE, not PVP; they may not network with skilled PVP players; or, they may morally refuse to learn aggressivePVP tactics. As an insult, the term applies less to players who merely prefer PVE to PVP and more to individuals who question the basic legitimacy of PVP or who greatly overreact to their avatars' deaths. Bear in mind that it is strictly incorrect to refer to the victims of heavyexploiters as Care Bears. Abbreviated CB. Compare with RPKPlayer Killing/PKPVP.     
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Three0neFive
    @AlexW00d said:
    " The fuck is a carebear? "
    Seriously.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " I think people who use the term "carebear" ruin my gaming experience. "
    This. It's right up there with calling things "beast" and other forms of leet speak.
    NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuCTR

Dude. MMO's are so fucking weird.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KaosAngel
    @MrKlorox said:
    " This. It's right up there with calling things "beast" and other forms of leet speak. "
    Carebear isn't leet, it's used a lot in MMOs.  It's common MMO lingo.  :|
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By EuanDewar
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " I think people who use the term "carebear" ruin my gaming experience. "
    This. It's right up there with calling things "beast" and other forms of leet speak. "

Epic win dudes.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Scooper

Just because you can kill someone for no reason while they're just standing around doesn't mean you have to. Some people play those servers because they want to be with friends but also occasionally do some PVP or have the means to kill people who wrong them. They're not carebears (stupid word), you're a griefer.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ch13696

Now, if the game is strictly PVP (meaning there are no PvE servers) then I won't give a shit, but if the game has PvE servers, then they deserved to get their asses handed to them. If you want to chat with friends then go to a PvE servers. Don't ruin my good time with your lazy ass.

homewrecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By homewrecker

I just can't believe that nobody could think of a better term than "carebear" for this, and that they didn't think that using it would make them sound like a tool

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    @KaosAngel said:
    "WIKI QUESTION:  How do we not have a Carebear concept?  O_o "
    Because as a game concept, it is invalid.  Not unless the game contains, you know, actual Care Bears.  Not every instance of MMO slang is deserving of a concept page.

Now, if there were a Care Bears game on the other hand...
    cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cjmabry

I've always wondered why I've never played WoW. 

Now I know.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By Chris2KLee

They pay their $15 a month, they can play however they want. If they're on a PvP server they are free to gank or be ganked all they want. As long as they aren't breaking any rules or harassing people I don't care.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By melcene

Honestly I can't blame you.  And I agree with @ch13696: pretty much.  THEY know they're getting into a carebear server.  I do have a few lowbies on a PvP server, or even on my PvE server, if I run around flagged I know I'm asking for a fight.  DUH.   

I don't remember any of this kind of crap when I played MUDs back in the day.  People knew it was PvP.  They knew while running around in the lowbie area who to keep an eye out for in the zone, who were the typical lowbie-killers.  And when they leveled up, they got to make the choice as to whether they wanted to become one of those lowbie killers.  That's how clan wars got started.  Boy those days were fun. 

Even on PvE servers, I can't stand people who just use the game as a chatroom.  Seriously?  You're gonna pay $15 a month just to chat with your friends?  Go use Skype or something.  Get the fuck off the Ironforge bridge, I'm not gonna give you a dime just because you dance naked.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By MooseyMcMan

For a moment, I thought you meant literal CareBears, which was weird, because I'm pretty sure they aren't real. 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KaosAngel
    @melcene said:
    "You're gonna pay $15 a month just to chat with your friends?  Go use Skype or something.  Get the fuck off the Ironforge bridge, I'm not gonna give you a dime just because you dance naked. "
    I HATE THAT TOO!  So god damn much.  They got Whispers and Guild for that shit.  You don't need to spam the general for what color shirt you're wearing, how your parents are doing, etc..
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By monetarydread

I guess I can be considered a carebear, but that is why I play on a PVE server. If you join a PVP server you are going to get jacked at some point, if you don't understand that then you a retard, and deserve to be shot in the face with a ball of your own shit.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By mazik765
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    " This. It's right up there with calling things "beast" and other forms of leet speak. "
    Carebear isn't leet, it's used a lot in MMOs.  It's common MMO lingo.  :| 
    I've never heard of it before and I've played a few MMO's in my day :/
    Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Nadril

I like "carebears" on PvP servers: they cry the loudest. Granted with the faction-centric PvP games you never get to hear them cry (unless they're on your side) anymore. Still always sort of satisfying knowing some guy is mad because of you on the internet. 

@Scooper said:

" Just because you can kill someone for no reason while they're just standing around doesn't mean you have to. Some people play those servers because they want to be with friends but also occasionally do some PVP or have the means to kill people who wrong them. They're not carebears (stupid word), you're a griefer. "

And you're a griefer when you shoot someone on call of duty.  
    Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Mattalorian
    @cjmabry said:

" I've always wondered why I've never played WoW.  Now I know. "

I've been playing World of Warcraft for about 3 years now, and I've never heard the term "Carebear" before. Also, I think this thread is kind of terrifying.
    It's a damn video game, people. The moment you start to introduce weird social labels and say things like "some Carebears are really cool and we have a few on the site!", I can begin to sympathize with people who are frightened by MMOs.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scooper
    @Nadril said:
    @Scooper said:

" Just because you can kill someone for no reason while they're just standing around doesn't mean you have to. Some people play those servers because they want to be with friends but also occasionally do some PVP or have the means to kill people who wrong them. They're not carebears (stupid word), you're a griefer. "

And you're a griefer when you shoot someone on call of duty.   "
    Lmfao. In COD you can only do 1 thing, kill people on a tiny map. Everyone has the same goal. 

Actualy, I realise what Koas is talking about now. I forgot that in WoW a PvP server is Horde vs Alliance. I was thinking of some other MMO where it's just everyone vs everyone. Sure, gank all you like. I used to do it all the time on my Rogue when I played a couple years ago. It was the best part of the game.
    Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nadril
    @Scooper said:
    " @Nadril said:
    @Scooper said:

Lmfao. In COD you can only do 1 thing, kill people on a tiny map. Everyone has the same goal.  Actualy, I realise what Koas is talking about now. I forgot that in WoW a PvP server is Horde vs Alliance. I was thinking of some other MMO where it's just everyone vs everyone. Sure, gank all you like. I used to do it all the time on my Rogue when I played a couple years ago. It was the best part of the game. "
    Yeah, I know. (thats the point!)

My point is if you join an MMO on a PvP server you are agreeing to that ruleset. I join PvP servers because I like the random encounters with other players (for better or worse). It's better than killing AI mobs over and over again. 

Saying that ganking is griefing is pretty silly no matter what style of PvP it is. Anyways I don't understand why anyone would ever get mad about getting ganked in WoW, you don't lose anything.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Scooper
    @Nadril said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " @Nadril said:
    @Scooper said:

Lmfao. In COD you can only do 1 thing, kill people on a tiny map. Everyone has the same goal.  Actualy, I realise what Koas is talking about now. I forgot that in WoW a PvP server is Horde vs Alliance. I was thinking of some other MMO where it's just everyone vs everyone. Sure, gank all you like. I used to do it all the time on my Rogue when I played a couple years ago. It was the best part of the game. "

My point is if you join an MMO on a PvP server you are agreeing to that ruleset. I join PvP servers because I like the random encounters with other players (for better or worse). It's better than killing AI mobs over and over again. 

Saying that ganking is griefing is pretty silly no matter what style of PvP it is. Anyways I don't understand why anyone would ever get mad about getting ganked in WoW, you don't lose anything. "
    Hence my redaction when I realised he was talking about WoW. 
    There are some MMOs where if you die you can loose days, weeks or even months of work and in that sense the PVP isn't and can't be just random like it can be in WoW, and those were the games I was thinking about when I replied.
    Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nadril
    @Scooper said:
    " @Nadril said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " @Nadril said:
    @Scooper said:

Saying that ganking is griefing is pretty silly no matter what style of PvP it is. Anyways I don't understand why anyone would ever get mad about getting ganked in WoW, you don't lose anything. "
    Hence my redaction when I realised he was talking about WoW. There are some MMOs where if you die you can loose days, weeks or even months of work and in that sense the PVP isn't and can't be just random like it can be in WoW, and those were the games I was thinking about when I replied. "
    Yeah I know, I used to play a couple like that for a while. 

In the end though it really still isn't griefing, it's part of the game. Sure there might be times where it is a dick move but it still very much is part of the game and something you deal with.  

Honestly I kind of wish there were more MMOs like that with a decent population. I tried Darkfall but its a pretty low-pop game and still has some issues. 
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Scooper
    @Nadril said:
    " Yeah I know, I used to play a couple like that for a while.  In the end though it really still isn't griefing, it's part of the game. Sure there might be times where it is a dick move but it still very much is part of the game and something you deal with.   Honestly I kind of wish there were more MMOs like that with a decent population. I tried Darkfall but its a pretty low-pop game and still has some issues.  "
    If you kill someone's character randomly for no reason and they loose a week's worth of effort for it I would consider that causing grief to that player. Hence a griefer. In WoW you loose nothing and it's actualy fun. There is a difference. One game's PvP causes laughter and maybe a bit of embarrassment, the other causes grief. I'm really done with this line of conversation lmfao, can we end it please ffs. 

Also if you want to play an MMO that's more weighty try EVE or if you can't care about graphics try Tibia.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By melcene
    @Mattalorian said:

" @cjmabry said:

" I've always wondered why I've never played WoW.  Now I know. "

I've been playing World of Warcraft for about 3 years now, and I've never heard the term "Carebear" before. Also, I think this thread is kind of terrifying.It's a damn video game, people. The moment you start to introduce weird social labels and say things like "some Carebears are really cool and we have a few on the site!", I can begin to sympathize with people who are frightened by MMOs. "
    Carebear isn't a new term, but WoW certainly made it popular.  I remember the term Carebear being around back in the days of ... I think the game was called Shadowrun or something like that?  Had a big minotaur on the cover of the box.  Anyway.  Its just that WoW is making the term shoot right up there along with griefers.

Wierd social labels?  Like griefers, min-maxers, ninjas, etc?  Or is it just because people don't like the carebear term?
    Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nadril
    @Scooper said:
    " @Nadril said:
    " Yeah I know, I used to play a couple like that for a while.  In the end though it really still isn't griefing, it's part of the game. Sure there might be times where it is a dick move but it still very much is part of the game and something you deal with.   Honestly I kind of wish there were more MMOs like that with a decent population. I tried Darkfall but its a pretty low-pop game and still has some issues.  "
    If you kill someone's character randomly for no reason and they loose a week's worth of effort for it I would consider that causing grief to that player. Hence a griefer. In WoW you loose nothing and it's actualy fun. There is a difference. One game's PvP causes laughter and maybe a bit of embarrassment, the other causes grief. I'm really done with this line of conversation lmfao, can we end it please ffs.  Also if you want to play an MMO that's more weighty try EVE or if you can't care about graphics try Tibia. "
    We're probably never going to see equal on this. My only point is it isn't griefing if you're just going along with the server rule-set. Maybe you don't like full loot MMOs, others do. Some people get really angry when they die, others find it funny / get mildly annoyed.  Whatever though, we can end it. 

And I've tried EVE, was bored to tears. Sucks because its a cool premise. 
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#31  Edited By vager

I'm the definition of a Carebear. I don't enjoy pvp, I absolutely love crafting, solo play and cooperative play in mmos. 

Yet, I played on a Ultima Online PvP server for a few years and enjoyed it immensely. 
    I was head crafter in a notorious murderer's guild. I pretty much only did crafting the entire time I played. 

I loved trying convince others that I was a "good guy" despite my guild's reputation. I would do these bi-weekly armor give aways. It helped me get recognition as a trustworthy crafter and it got me out of many "Kill on Sight" lists.
    I also made a killing selling high quality armor, that I would later get back from a guild mate who murdered the fool who bought it a few days later.  

I also play WoW on a PvP server, mostly because of friends. 
    WoW's PvP is hella boring, I would rather play on a PvE server just to avoid the ganking. I don't care too much though, I'm a rogue and I can usually escape from gankers. 

Basically, I enjoy the side benefits that go with hardcore player looting PvP.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.