140 PS2 games and counting. Am I missing anything?

#1 Edited by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Ever since I bought my backwards compatible PS3 back in 2006, I've been collecting PS2 games. The first couple of years I've been starting slowly, but lately I've been grabbing maybe 10 a month. Yes, most of them are used and that's mainly because of Gamestop's sales. So, I'm curious to hear from the GB community. What do you think I'm missing.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ch13696/playstation-2/46-13109/

The 140th game is Thunder Strike. Since the game is not on GB's wiki list, I just submitted it. Hopefully it will be approved.

EDIT: If anyone else wants to boast about their huge collection, feel free to do so. My forum topic is everyone's forum topic.

#2 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

You are missing Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

#3 Posted by FourWude (2245 posts) -

Automatically I see no Dark Cloud 1 and 2, the second one especially. Seriously, it is my favorite PS2 RPG.

#4 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

@FourWude said:

Automatically I see no Dark Cloud 1 and 2, the second one especially. Seriously, it is my favorite PS2 RPG.

I have the first Dark Cloud. Maybe I forgot to add that. The second one is $25 at Gamestop. Maybe I should buy it before someone else gets their greedy hands on it.

#5 Posted by FourWude (2245 posts) -

@ch13696 said:

@FourWude said:

I have the first Dark Cloud. Maybe I forgot to add that. The second one is $25 at Gamestop. Maybe I should buy it before someone else gets their greedy hands on it.

Dark Cloud 2 is an all time classic.

You're also missing The Warriors (based on the movie). One of the best games based on movies ever. Genuinely captures the spirit and atmosphere of the source.

#6 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Damn it. This list reminded me that I need Atelier Iris and now when I go look NISA does not have it on their store :(

Oh well, I'm sure you know since you have the first two games on there but Atelier Iris 3 is missing, also the Mana Khemia games and probably some more niche JRPGs. Nice collection though, again, pretty jealous of that Atelier Iris.

Edit: Okay, I got one. You should check out Haunting Grounds. It was a very enjoyable game and because you can't really fight back in the game it makes for a lot of intense moments of quick thinking, trying to think where to go while being chased and where you can go from there.

#7 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -

I didn't see ICO in there, and maybe some fighting games (Street Fighter 3: 3S, Rare MvC2, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, Tekken 5, etc...)

#8 Posted by Plasticstars (171 posts) -

Twisted Metal: Black and Silent Hill 2.

#9 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

@SuperWristBands said:

Damn it. This list reminded me that I need Atelier Iris and now when I go look NISA does not have it on their store :(

Oh well, I'm sure you know since you have the first two games on there but Atelier Iris 3 is missing, also the Mana Khemia games and probably some more niche JRPGs. Nice collection though, again, pretty jealous of that Atelier Iris.

Edit: Okay, I got one. You should check out Haunting Grounds. It was a very enjoyable game and because you can't really fight back in the game it makes for a lot of intense moments of quick thinking, trying to think where to go while being chased and where you can go from there.

I have to look into the Haunting Grounds. I'm not much of a horror fan, but if it's unique then I'll definitely buy it. Who's the developer.

As for Atelier Iris, I haven't got a chance to play that game yet. I haven't found the 3rd one in my area, but I should take a second look since Gamestop is still taking in PS2 trade ins.

#10 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

@jkuc316 said:

I didn't see ICO in there, and maybe some fighting games (Street Fighter 3: 3S, Rare MvC2, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, Tekken 5, etc...)

ICO is a no show at Gamestops in my area. Hell, the local mom & pop shop wants $100 for it. I should let them know that the game is re-released on the PS3 and they should just give it to me for 20 bucks. The fighting games, forget finding anything Capcom. That's near impossible. As for Tekken, those are my next grabs.

#11 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -
#12 Posted by pantzing_nome (588 posts) -

Bully, Yakuza 2, The Warriors and Tony Hawk American Wasteland.

#13 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1791 posts) -

Maybe some Star Ocean Till the End of Time.

#14 Edited by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

@pantzing_nome said:

Bully, Yakuza 2, The Warriors and Tony Hawk American Wasteland.

Tony Hawk American Wasteland I won't do because it's released on the Xbox 360. I know that there's different collections on the PS3, but in a way it's different. I guess because they're re-releases.

#15 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

Please grab Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant. Both amazing RPG's.

#16 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -

@ch13696 said:

@jkuc316 said:

ICO is a no show at Gamestops in my area. Hell, the local mom & pop shop wants $100 for it. I should let them know that the game is re-released on the PS3 and they should just give it to me for 20 bucks. The fighting games, forget finding anything Capcom. That's near impossible. As for Tekken, those are my next grabs.

Never knew they were THAT popular, I thought Tekken would be the harder one to find.

#17 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

@Barrock said:

When I get back to the overly priced PS2 games, I will. I remember playing Shadow Hearts back in 2003.

@jkuc316 said:

@ch13696 said:

@jkuc316 said:

Never knew they were THAT popular, I thought Tekken would be the harder one to find.

In my area Tekken is the easier ones. I see maybe 2-3 Tekken Tag Tournaments per Gamestop. As for ICO, I searched in my area again and there's one about 2 miles from me going for $30.

#18 Edited by iDarktread (1189 posts) -
#19 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

@ch13696 said:

@Barrock said:

When I get back to the overly priced PS2 games, I will. I remember playing Shadow Hearts back in 2003.

@jkuc316 said:

@ch13696 said:

@jkuc316 said:

In my area Tekken is the easier ones. I see maybe 2-3 Tekken Tag Tournaments per Gamestop. As for ICO, I searched in my area again and there's one about 2 miles from me going for $30.

Yeah they aren't cheap but totally worth it. I think I paid $40 for the game disc used with no box or manual.

#20 Posted by BoringK (264 posts) -

I second Twisted Metal: Black. Also, you have Amplitude, but Frequency is about a hundred times better.

#21 Posted by Clenchmask (63 posts) -

Rouge Galaxy, and Soul Calibur 3.

#22 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@ch13696 said:

@SuperWristBands said:

I have to look into the Haunting Grounds. I'm not much of a horror fan, but if it's unique then I'll definitely buy it. Who's the developer.

As for Atelier Iris, I haven't got a chance to play that game yet. I haven't found the 3rd one in my area, but I should take a second look since Gamestop is still taking in PS2 trade ins.

Capcom is the developer of Haunting Grounds. Also, Atelier Iris 3 is kinda super shitty compared to the second game. Just an FYI. You could probably not get that game and be good since there are a lot of other good games in here that are being recommended.

#23 Posted by firewrkninja (227 posts) -

time splitters franchise

#24 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
#25 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

@iDarktread: Well, I have Rayman 2 on the Dreamcast. Should I still buy it on the PS2?

@BoringK: I was just about to buy Frequency today also. Only $3. I'll go back tomorrow and pick it up.

#26 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

@Clenchmask said:

Already own Rogue Galaxy. Should be on that list too. Should I also get Soul Caliber II?

@Hailinel said:

I don't see Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on this list.

Another expensive game. Is it worth the $35 pricetag?

#27 Posted by iDarktread (1189 posts) -

@ch13696: Probably not. I'm actually looking to order the Dreamcast version because apparently it has less slow down.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@ch13696 said:

@Clenchmask said:

Already own Rogue Galaxy. Should be on that list too. Should I also get Soul Caliber II?

@Hailinel said:

I don't see Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on this list.

Another expensive game. Is it worth the $35 pricetag?

Oh, hell yes. A challenging, well-designed RPG with one of the most unique, mature stories in the genre of the PS2 (or arguably any other) era? $35 is a bargain, I'd say.

#29 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

@iDarktread said:

@ch13696: Probably not. I'm actually looking to order the Dreamcast version because apparently it has less slow down.

Going for around $15 on Amazonright now.

#30 Posted by Masha2932 (1242 posts) -

Do you only have a backwards compatible ps3 to play your games? 

If so i'd suggest you get a ps2 to play some of the games as some ps2 games have performance issues when playing on the backward compatible ps3. Otherwise good collection,good luck with tracking down the rest.

#31 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -
#32 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

@Masha2932 said:

Do you only have a backwards compatible ps3 to play your games? If so i'd suggest you get a ps2 to play some of the games as some ps2 games have performance issues when playing on the backward compatible ps3. Otherwise good collection,good luck with tracking down the rest.

Yeah, that's all I have. As far as I know, it's the 60GB version that can play all of them fine and the 80GB is the one that emulates the PS2. So far my 60GB has been playing all the games fine. Howver, I haven't tried any of the blue discs yet.

#33 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

@Dagmar said:

@Centimani: @Centimani said:

Robot Alchemic Drive (If you can find it)

Indigo Prophecy (called Fahrenheit outside the U.S., developer of Heavy Rain)

Ape Escape 2 (?) (I liked it...)

Jesus. I remember playing the crap out of RAD. Completely forgot about that game.

I still pop in my copy from time to time. Still great.

#34 Posted by Vade (393 posts) -

Cannot locate Guilty Gear XX Accent Core. Fix immediately.

#35 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

I find the lack of Rockstar games disturbing.

#36 Posted by Savage (355 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.