Connecting my PS2 to my monitor?

#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Hey, I want to connect my Playstation 2 to my monitor but I can't find how to do it! 
 
I would like it to be available in stores (not only online) in Australia. 
 
Thanks for the help!

#2 Edited by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

i think you need a VGA cable (or something) to do that  
somebody please correct me on that 

#3 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
"i think you need a VGA cable (or something) to do that  somebody please correct me on that  "
You're probably right. Hell, what do I know? I'm bad with this kind of stuff.
#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@habster3 said:

" @AjayRaz said:

"i think you need a VGA cable (or something) to do that  somebody please correct me on that  "
You're probably right. Hell, what do I know? I'm bad with this kind of stuff. "
I don't think it's that simple.  Actually, I know it's not that simple, but I don't know how to exactly do it. 
 
This should help you, though.
#5 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @habster3 said:

" @AjayRaz said:

"i think you need a VGA cable (or something) to do that  somebody please correct me on that  "
You're probably right. Hell, what do I know? I'm bad with this kind of stuff. "
I don't think it's that simple.  Actually, I know it's not that simple, but I don't know how to exactly do it. 
 
This should help you, though. "
Giant Bomb >>> Google! :D 
 
I know I can trust you guys. :P
#6 Posted by PufferFiz (1376 posts) -

well google is your friend but this may help you. 
If there is not a ps2 to vga then your going to need  a component to vga cable, keep in mind that there will be no sound. Or you might want to look for a s-video cable, that  might work too.

#7 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

ive been wondering the same thing actually. sound isnt an issue for me ive got that sorted, i just need to get the video up and running.

#8 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@Faint said:
" ive been wondering the same thing actually. sound isnt an issue for me ive got that sorted, i just need to get the video up and running. "
What do you mean?
#9 Edited by Faint (833 posts) -

as in ive got a little converter for my audio to my computer 5.1 speakers from the white and red sound cables, i just need a means to display the video on my monitor to be able to play on my pc.

#10 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba:  
I just went through this myself, actually, about 3 months ago.  Basically, after all the research and going to Radioshack and trying to order cables online, what it basically comes down to is that it's not really economically sound or technologically available.  The best solution is just to hook it up to a TV.  Not what you wanted to hear, not what I wanted to hear either, but it's all that I got working.  If you do get another method working, let me know, so I can do that hookup myself.
#11 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Well, I guess it depends on what inputs your monitor accepts.  Like, if it accepts VGA only then you'd need a PS2 VGA adapter.  Using this adapter you can plug in a standard VGA cable from that adapter to your monitor.  Then for audio, there should be some audio output ports in that adapter for you to connect to your PC such as a 3.5 mm jack.
 
If your monitor accepts HDMI, then you'd need to buy a PS2 HDMI adapter (if such a thing exists).  Audio situation should be the same as with the VGA adapter.

#12 Posted by SpiralStairs (1020 posts) -

Yeah, you probably need to get the VGA cable, although I don't even know if there is one for the PS2.
 
chances are it will look like shit anyways.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.