For my 100th PS2 game, what should I get?

#1 Edited by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

That's right. I have 99 PS2 games and am about to get my 100th title. The reason why I'm doing this is because I spoke to a manager at Gamestop and they said at the beginning of next year they will not be selling PS2 games anymore. Also later on this year, in order to get rid of their stock, they will be doing a better deal than the buy 2 get 2 free on PS2 titles that they had in the past week. He says maybe something like buy 1 get 3 free or 75% off each PS2 game. So, I want to be able to get my hands on any PS2 game that catches my attention before they go away.

So what should be my 100th PS2 title? Here's my list so far in alphabetical order...
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ch13696/playstation-2/46-13109/

#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

ToHeart2

#3 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Zone of the Enders 2, much better than the original.

#4 Posted by Axersia (1619 posts) -

God Hand

#5 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1769 posts) -

SMT Nocturne

#6 Posted by kuz101 (209 posts) -

Dark Cloud 2

#7 Posted by Masha2932 (1242 posts) -

I suggest getting-

1. war of the monsters- Monsters destroying cities and beating the crap out of each other. What's not to love?

2. I noticed you don't have the warrior within for your prince of persia collection. I think you should get it. Despite the critics moaning about the 'emo' prince i think the platforming is as good as ever and they tried to expand on the combat with more combos and different moves.

P.S
kudos for owning 
1.psi-ops, that game was really fun and really deserves a sequel. It did telekinesis better than any star wars game IMO.
2. Shadow of the colossus- One of my favourite games ever. ignoring the games as art thing, this game succeeds on many more levels. It is a great action game(see colossus 13), most games today would leave such instances to cutscenes or quick time events. The horse riding is fun and i love the compass mechanic. A great game.

Good luck with your purchases.
#8 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" Zone of the Enders 2, much better than the original. "
Totally forgot about that. I remember when I found the first Zone of the Enders at Gamestop used for $2. In perfect condition a few months back.

Zone of the Enders 2 is going for $20 at Gamestop. Hopefully, they have a good copy.

@KaosAngel said:
" ToHeart2 "
What's that?
#9 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) -

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3. Seriously

#10 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
"What's that?"
My personal favorite high school dating simulator.  >.>
#11 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -
@ch13696: Zone of the Enders 2. Not only is it a great game but I think it is more than worthy of being your 100th PS2 game. Well that or Madden... 
#12 Posted by Surkov (992 posts) -

Yakuza 2, God of War, or Ico. 

I'd suggest God of War of those. I have only played Ico and God of War. 
#13 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Masha2932 said:
" I suggest getting-
1. war of the monsters- Monsters destroying cities and beating the crap out of each other. What's not to love?

2. I noticed you don't have the warrior within for your prince of persia collection. I think you should get it. Despite the critics moaning about the 'emo' prince i think the platforming is as good as ever and they tried to expand on the combat with more combos and different moves.

P.S
kudos for owning 
1.psi-ops, that game was really fun and really deserves a sequel. It did telekinesis better than any star wars game IMO.
2. Shadow of the colossus- One of my favourite games ever. ignoring the games as art thing, this game succeeds on many more levels. It is a great action game(see colossus 13), most games today would leave such instances to cutscenes or quick time events. The horse riding is fun and i love the compass mechanic. A great game.

Good luck with your purchases.
"
Yeah, I remember playing Psi-Ops back in 2004. Along with it having an incredible beginning, it had one of the best mechanics. Consider it a sleeper hit that WB should really think about making a sequel for.
#14 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2910 posts) -

God Hand and Zone of the Enders 2 are great games. I'd also submit Gradius V, my favorite shmup of all time.

#15 Posted by VanillaPlant (146 posts) -

God Hand. You probably won't find it a Gamestop though :(

#16 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@TheVeteran13 said:
" Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3. Seriously "
ooooohhhhhh... I was so totally going to pick up all the Tony Hawks on PS2. Memories...

@RE_Player92 said:
" @ch13696: Zone of the Enders 2. Not only is it a great game but I think it is more than worthy of being your 100th PS2 game. Well that or Madden...  "
I'm 90% sure that Zone of the Enders 2 is going to be my 100th purchase. Unless I see Madden first. And it has to be Madden 2002. I don't know why, but it has to be that.
#17 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Project Snowblind. 
I have no idea if it's really worth getting, but just based on nostalgia, I had a lot of fun with that game.

Scratch that. Just get Timesplitters Future Perfect.
#18 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@VanillaPlant said:
" God Hand. You probably won't find it a Gamestop though :( "
Yeah, a lot of people seem to be mentioning God Hand. Luckily there's a Gamestop that has one that's 9 miles away from me.
#19 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" God Hand and Zone of the Enders 2 are great games. I'd also submit Gradius V, my favorite shmup of all time. "
I can make Gradius V my 101st game. The Gamestop closest to me has a copy.
#20 Posted by Commisar123 (1796 posts) -

God of War

#21 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Why are people saying God of War when he can get the better version for dirt cheap on PS3?

The same for ICO.

#22 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Why are people saying God of War when he can get the better version for dirt cheap on PS3?The same for ICO. "
Eeeehhhhh... that's what I thought when the God of War collection came out, but now that I look at it, I'm always down for picking them up just to add to the collection. That's why I decided to keep Shadow of the Colossus and the Sly games.
#23 Posted by i8Donuts (96 posts) -

Any of the GTAs, Bully, or Shadow Of Rome are some of the first games that came to mind.

#24 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

You are a crazy man and mucho respecto.

#25 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@i8Donuts said:
" Any of the GTAs, Bully, or Shadow Of Rome are some of the first games that came to mind. "
I don't think I'll be picking up any of the GTA's since I already have them for the Xbox. Bully... eeeehhhhh I don't know. Shadow of Rome though, that did get some pretty good reviews. That game must have slipped past me.
#26 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@LiquidS said:
" You are a crazy man and mucho respecto. "
Yes I am my Mexican speaking friend.
#27 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) -

SSX3 is always an option I have so many fond memories of that game

#28 Posted by Echo (391 posts) -
Shadow of the Colossus. Absolutely essential game that any person who identifies themselves as a 'gamer' needs to play, in my opinion.
#29 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@TheVeteran13 said:
" SSX3 is always an option I have so many fond memories of that game "
Holy crap. I totally forgot that SSX exists. Thanks for mentioning that.
#30 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -
@Echo said:
" Shadow of the Colossus. Absolutely essential game that any person who identifies themselves as a 'gamer' needs to play, in my opinion. "
This is pretty much the best answer. SotC was one of those games that you never really forget.
#31 Posted by chronicsmoke (996 posts) -

Yakuza 2

#32 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@isnipeyoudie said:
" @Echo said:
" Shadow of the Colossus. Absolutely essential game that any person who identifies themselves as a 'gamer' needs to play, in my opinion. "
This is pretty much the best answer. SotC was one of those games that you never really forget. "
And that is why I will never get rid of it. NEVER!! Even if someone were to kidnap it and hold it for ransom for $1 million, I would pay for it to be back in my hands. Even though Gamestop is selling it for $17.
#33 Posted by President_Barackbar (3467 posts) -

Get the newly released version of WWE All Stars and marvel at the fact that they released a PS2 game in 2011

#34 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@President_Barackbar said:
" Get the newly released version of WWE All Stars and marvel at the fact that they released a PS2 game in 2011 "
What? Why? WWE games weren't that good since the N64 versions. And the movie tie-ins have been sucking for awhile now.
#35 Posted by DukesT3 (1928 posts) -

DmC 3 if you don't have it. or.... hm.... Rez? Amplitude is also amazing too. 

#36 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@LooseChange said:
" DmC 3 if you don't have it. or.... hm.... Rez? Amplitude is also amazing too.  "
I have DmC 3. The collectors edition at that. Yeah, I should get Amplitude... and Frequency.
#37 Posted by President_Barackbar (3467 posts) -
@ch13696:  I was just saying...
#38 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

Do you like horror games? i didnt see silent hill in your collection

get the silent hill collection, you get 2 3 4 in the box :D
#39 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Heres some good/great PS2 games that I think you should consider

Timesplitters 2

Timeplitters 3

Primal

StarWars Battlefront II

The Simpsons Road Rage

The Simpsons Hit and Run

Spider-Man 2

Red Dead Revolver

#40 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -
#41 Posted by Icemael (6339 posts) -

God Hand.

#42 Posted by EVO (3919 posts) -
@LooseChange said:
" Rez? "
This. Assuming you don't already own it on the Dreamcast or XBLA, no collection is complete without Rez.
#43 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1576 posts) -

Absolutely the first God of War. That's really the biggest blind-spot I noticed on your list.

#44 Posted by Hilbert (349 posts) -
@ch13696:

May I ask how many PS2's you have?
I have a nice collection myself and want to know if its worth getting another backup ps2 just so the other one breaks down.

Must have game:

#45 Posted by AlmostApollo (71 posts) -

Definitely Zone of the Enders 2. Not only is it a great game, but you can just add it to the bottom of the alphabetical list!

#46 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Hilbert said:
" @ch13696:

May I ask how many PS2's you have?
I have a nice collection myself and want to know if its worth getting another backup ps2 just so the other one breaks down.

Must have game:

"
I don't have a PS2. I just use my backwards compatible PS3. However, it's been lasting me since launch, I'll still be picking up a used PS2 from Gamestop just in case my PS3 decides to take a crap all of a sudden.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.