Good bye Playstation 2, you will be missed

#1 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/108/1089566p1.html

It was bound to happen eventually. This month the NPD Group, which tracks sales of videogame hardware and software, officially removed the PlayStation 2 from its charts. After a 10-year run, Sony's system has finally slowed down, apparently eclipsed by its younger, sleeker sibling.

From now on, if you're wondering how many PS2 systems have sold in a given month, you'll have to physically walk to the Radio Shack at the strip mall and ask the store manager. In between stifled sobs, IGN PlayStation Executive Editor Greg Miller expressed bittersweet acceptance of the news.

"It's interesting but not unexpected," he said. "The PlayStation 2 turns 10 years old in October. Although the system is still selling well, it's clear that its best days are behind it and Sony's focusing on the PlayStation 3 and PSP. PS2 games are few and far between, so it's time to get on with our lives. Well done, PS2. Enjoy retirement."

The PS2's NPD removal comes at a time when the Nintendo DS is fast approaching the point where it will overtake Sony's system as the best-selling videogame hardware ever. The NPD Group expects the DS will exceed the PS2's install base by October or December of this year.
#2 Posted by mattbirdy1986 (107 posts) -

After Killing the DC,GC,XBOX its rest is well earnt 

sleep well PS2 

#3 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

Another reminder that the 00s are over

#4 Posted by Alcamin (151 posts) -

Surprisingly, don't feel to sad about this. The memories the PS2 gave me, and many, many others, will be cherished more than pretty much any other console, from any generation, so the fact that this is only just happening is a remarkable achievement. What an amazing run it had! 

So instead of shedding a tear at this news I will simply salute it for a job very well done. You have earned your retirement, my old friend.

#5 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

feels like the end of an era to me. Yet games like Persona 4 which came out here less then a year ago give us a very recent reminder: 

The PS2 Was AWESOME.

#6 Posted by JerseyDriver (57 posts) -

Heh, I just finished playing the PS2 version of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
On my backward compatible PS3.

#7 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

That's a pretty amazing run the ps2 had

#8 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

Surprisingly, some Nintendo Fanboys are rejoicing now.  Sad some people will never appreciate the legacy of something.

#9 Posted by skunk (240 posts) -

I remember buying this console strictly for Gran Turismo 3, then discovering all the other awesome games that would soon follow. Easily one of my favourite systems ever made.

@Godwind: Yeah, whats up with that? I'll never understand fanboys... they're missing out on some awesome games.

#10 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

I regret getting into video games too late and not catching any PS2 fun. ive always heard its the greatest console with the greatest games library ever. 

Sleep well, PS2 ..

#11 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Surely then it's about time Sony had proper backwards compatability on the PS3.

#12 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

I still have the PS2 I bought with the GT3 pack-in. The network adapter on the back of it is damn near useless at this point.

#13 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

i still play my ps2 (as well as pc, of course) more than i play my 360. the ps2 is undoubtedly my favourite console yet and will remain right next to my tv for years to come.

#14 Posted by LiquidPrince (16020 posts) -
@addictedtopinescent said:
" That's a pretty amazing run the ps2 had "
Indeed.
#15 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@Toms115 said:
" i still play my ps2 (as well as pc, of course) more than i play my 360. the ps2 is undoubtedly my favourite console yet and will remain right next to my tv for years to come. "
That is why I got a backwards compatible PS3
#16 Posted by Animasta (14713 posts) -
@Toms115 said:
" i still play my ps2 (as well as pc, of course) more than i play my 360. the ps2 is undoubtedly my favourite console yet and will remain right next to my tv for years to come. "
right on, I do the same. I have as many PS2 games as I do 360 games in my gamefly queue :D
#17 Posted by habster3 (3600 posts) -

Goodbye, old friend; you will be missed.

#18 Edited by Jeust (10756 posts) -

She's not dying yet. I'll leave my compliments to when Sony no longer produces them. 

#19 Edited by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

I still play my Playstation 2 A lot.  There are so many great games that nobody could have played them all when they came out so now with them being cheap it is a great time to catch up.  The best system for amount of quality games ever.

#20 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

the PS2 is what really started me into gaming.  i bought the original version, before the slim's were even announced.  i fell in love with the games.  i've put tons of hours into that thing, and it still works today.   

the PS2 will be missed, but it had a good run.  I think it will remain the best and coolest console for a long time.
#21 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -
@Godwind: Hell no I just re bought one and am rebuying games
#22 Posted by Nettacki (1319 posts) -

Dead or not, I'm still playing a lot of games for this thing, and have done so for 9 years now.

I salute the PS2's long and fruitful life as it ends with grace and much success. Oh, and good memories too.

#23 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

The PS2 became my favorite console until the Wii finally surpassed it. I do miss those days of playing games most people could care less about. But of course, most developers put every fucking thing they could imagine on the best selling console at the time. Thanks for the memories PS2, I've moved on.

#24 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I'd wager that the PS2 is still selling well in poorer countries. 

And I will say poorer, because the term 3rd world is stupid.

#25 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

It is funny how it is no longer being the tracked the moment I finally start playing games in the PS2's large library. So many good games to play.

#26 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

To be honest, the PS2 is what turned me into a big nerd.  I already played quite a bit of video games before it, but I definitely became a big nerd after my PS2 purchase.  Man, sad times.  Good run, PS2.  Makes me want to go buy one before they eventually get pulled from shelves.

#27 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -

PS2 will live on in my abode

#28 Posted by Inuzagi (170 posts) -

Oh PS2...the memories it brought us. Well I guess this was bound to happen, but at least the PS2 had one hell of run. Still going to keep my PS2 though...if only just cause. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.