Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

Making your PS2 provide the best picture.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jadeskye

Hey guys. The PS2 is awesome, i think we can all agree on that. 

The problem is the HD age came in around 2006 and suddenly our PS2 games look blurry and the colours don't look as great as they once did. 

This is to be expected of course as eventually all games look dated. 

My question is: How do we get the best video image possible in a post HD world on our beloved Playstation 2? 

Is there a cable that can plug into a HDMI port now?

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @jadeskye said:
    " Hey guys. The PS2 is awesome, i think we can all agree on that.  The problem is the HD age came in around 2006 and suddenly our PS2 games look blurry and the colours don't look as great as they once did.  This is to be expected of course as eventually all games look dated.  My question is: How do we get the best video image possible in a post HD world on our beloved Playstation 2?  Is there a cable that can plug into a HDMI port now? "
    Use an emulator.
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Squint your eyes while playing it.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By defaulttag
    @jadeskye: tbh, no matter what you do, PS2 will look bad on an HDTV. try plugging it back into an old school Standard Definition tube CRT fat TV with component (RGB) cables. lower the sharpness to about 2/5 of the bar, max out the contrast/picture, and keep the brightness at center. If all you have is an HDTV, i prefer to keep sharpness at zero. There's this, but it doesn't perform very well. If you really want the best experience with PS2 games, get a backwards compatible PS3 and use the upscaler.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jadeskye
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    " Hey guys. The PS2 is awesome, i think we can all agree on that.  The problem is the HD age came in around 2006 and suddenly our PS2 games look blurry and the colours don't look as great as they once did.  This is to be expected of course as eventually all games look dated.  My question is: How do we get the best video image possible in a post HD world on our beloved Playstation 2?  Is there a cable that can plug into a HDMI port now? "
    Use an emulator. "
    that was my first attempt. turns out my PC doesn't have the nessesery hardware. in dire need of an upgrade.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

Get yourself a nice big CRT and play on that, it really is the best way to play.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By defaulttag
    @jadeskye: PS2 emulation is still in development and yeah, you need really good hardware. there's lots of stability issues. I have a gaming PC and I wasn't happy with PS2 emulation. I just stick to my backwards compatible PS3. As for PS1 emulation, it is very stable. PS1 games look great when you configure it to run at high resolutions. They run pretty well too! The hardware requirements are pretty light as well.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @defaulttag said:
    " @jadeskye: PS2 emulation is still in development and yeah, you need really good hardware. there's lots of stability issues. I have a gaming PC and I wasn't happy with PS2 emulation. I just stick to my backwards compatible PS3. As for PS1 emulation, it is very stable. PS1 games look great when you configure it to run at high resolutions. They run pretty well too! The hardware requirements are pretty light as well. "
    The latest versions of what-not work fine here. 

No Caption Provided
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jadeskye
    @teh_pwnzorer: Looks fantastic but do you need a 5970 and an overclocked core i7?
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @jadeskye said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer: Looks fantastic but do you need a 5970 and an overclocked core i7? "
    That screenshot was from a PC with an overclocked amd 965 (connected to my TV) and overclocked 5850.  I just checked, the overall cpu usage was 20% in that living room scene and three of the cores are being used at around 20% and one at around 10%.  The directx resolution is the default "1024x1024".  
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jadeskye

not bad.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @jadeskye said:
    " not bad. "

I didn't mess too much with the options, but I noticed that v-sync destroyed the framerate in some scenes so I keep it off.  However, there is an option to turn on interlacing which seems to have cut down on tearing significantly.  PS2 produces an interlaced signal (which you can notice in the endurance run)...but I can only guess how that improves the emulation. 

Here's a boss battle with fraps (60fps):  

No Caption Provided
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jadeskye
    @teh_pwnzorer: i'm noticing the film grain effect in P4 seems heavier then normal in that image.
    hexagonLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By hexagonLife

Man, the last time I checked PS2 emulation out it was only running some games, it's really come along. 

I have used my PS2 with my HDTV via composite, component and s-video cables.  I think component gives you the sharpest image but, honestly, s-video is where it's at for me as it's between my HDTV or my old 14" crt telly.  S-Video doesn't look bad at all, although it probably doesn't beat CRT for avoiding some jaggy textures etc but that's to be expected I guess.  

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By thegoldencat7

Well the obvious answer would be to play them upscaled on a 60GB PS3. 

Otherwise you want one of these. 

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By dagas

I'm using component cables and upscaling via my Yamaha RX-V 667 receiver which does a better job at upscaling than my SONY LCD. Text looks almost HD, but textures and such still look bad. I guess you can only do so much with an old console. However some games still look great, it depends a lot on the art style. Persona 4 looks great IMO while Yakuza 2 looked like shit (still an awesome game though).

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By FancySoapsMan

get an SDTV

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.