Making your PS2 provide the best picture.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

Hey guys. The PS2 is awesome, i think we can all agree on that. 
 
The problem is the HD age came in around 2006 and suddenly our PS2 games look blurry and the colours don't look as great as they once did. 
 
This is to be expected of course as eventually all games look dated. 
 
My question is: How do we get the best video image possible in a post HD world on our beloved Playstation 2? 
 
Is there a cable that can plug into a HDMI port now?

#2 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" Hey guys. The PS2 is awesome, i think we can all agree on that.  The problem is the HD age came in around 2006 and suddenly our PS2 games look blurry and the colours don't look as great as they once did.  This is to be expected of course as eventually all games look dated.  My question is: How do we get the best video image possible in a post HD world on our beloved Playstation 2?  Is there a cable that can plug into a HDMI port now? "
Use an emulator.
#3 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -

Squint your eyes while playing it.

#4 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -
@jadeskye: tbh, no matter what you do, PS2 will look bad on an HDTV. try plugging it back into an old school Standard Definition tube CRT fat TV with component (RGB) cables. lower the sharpness to about 2/5 of the bar, max out the contrast/picture, and keep the brightness at center. If all you have is an HDTV, i prefer to keep sharpness at zero. There's this, but it doesn't perform very well. If you really want the best experience with PS2 games, get a backwards compatible PS3 and use the upscaler.
#5 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer said:
" @jadeskye said:
" Hey guys. The PS2 is awesome, i think we can all agree on that.  The problem is the HD age came in around 2006 and suddenly our PS2 games look blurry and the colours don't look as great as they once did.  This is to be expected of course as eventually all games look dated.  My question is: How do we get the best video image possible in a post HD world on our beloved Playstation 2?  Is there a cable that can plug into a HDMI port now? "
Use an emulator. "
that was my first attempt. turns out my PC doesn't have the nessesery hardware. in dire need of an upgrade.
#6 Posted by TooWalrus (13195 posts) -

Get yourself a nice big CRT and play on that, it really is the best way to play.

#7 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -
@jadeskye: PS2 emulation is still in development and yeah, you need really good hardware. there's lots of stability issues. I have a gaming PC and I wasn't happy with PS2 emulation. I just stick to my backwards compatible PS3. As for PS1 emulation, it is very stable. PS1 games look great when you configure it to run at high resolutions. They run pretty well too! The hardware requirements are pretty light as well.
#8 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@defaulttag said:
" @jadeskye: PS2 emulation is still in development and yeah, you need really good hardware. there's lots of stability issues. I have a gaming PC and I wasn't happy with PS2 emulation. I just stick to my backwards compatible PS3. As for PS1 emulation, it is very stable. PS1 games look great when you configure it to run at high resolutions. They run pretty well too! The hardware requirements are pretty light as well. "
The latest versions of what-not work fine here. 
 

#9 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer: Looks fantastic but do you need a 5970 and an overclocked core i7?
#10 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" @teh_pwnzorer: Looks fantastic but do you need a 5970 and an overclocked core i7? "
That screenshot was from a PC with an overclocked amd 965 (connected to my TV) and overclocked 5850.  I just checked, the overall cpu usage was 20% in that living room scene and three of the cores are being used at around 20% and one at around 10%.  The directx resolution is the default "1024x1024".  
#11 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

not bad.

#12 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" not bad. "
  
I didn't mess too much with the options, but I noticed that v-sync destroyed the framerate in some scenes so I keep it off.  However, there is an option to turn on interlacing which seems to have cut down on tearing significantly.  PS2 produces an interlaced signal (which you can notice in the endurance run)...but I can only guess how that improves the emulation. 

Here's a boss battle with fraps (60fps):  

#13 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer: i'm noticing the film grain effect in P4 seems heavier then normal in that image.
#14 Posted by hexagonLife (6 posts) -

Man, the last time I checked PS2 emulation out it was only running some games, it's really come along. 
  
I have used my PS2 with my HDTV via composite, component and s-video cables.  I think component gives you the sharpest image but, honestly, s-video is where it's at for me as it's between my HDTV or my old 14" crt telly.  S-Video doesn't look bad at all, although it probably doesn't beat CRT for avoiding some jaggy textures etc but that's to be expected I guess.  

#15 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1496 posts) -

Well the obvious answer would be to play them upscaled on a 60GB PS3. 
 
Otherwise you want one of these. 

 
#16 Posted by dagas (2831 posts) -

I'm using component cables and upscaling via my Yamaha RX-V 667 receiver which does a better job at upscaling than my SONY LCD. Text looks almost HD, but textures and such still look bad. I guess you can only do so much with an old console. However some games still look great, it depends a lot on the art style. Persona 4 looks great IMO while Yakuza 2 looked like shit (still an awesome game though).

#17 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

get an SDTV

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.