My First PS2 Memory

Posted by Colorwind (157 posts) -

The PlayStation 2 turned 13 this past Saturday and I thought I would share my first memory of the console. My first memory of the console was actually from my older cousin. At the time, I was living with my grandparents and my cousin was living there too as he had got a job near where our grandparents were and was staying there until he got his own place. While he was gone during the day at work, I would sneak into his room and play his consoles.

See, at the time, I was being home schooled and the only console I had was the Super Nintendo. So when my cousin got the brand new PlayStation 2, I desperately wanted to play it. He had gotten Street Fighter EX3, and Orphen: Scion of Sorcery. Oddly enough, I noticed that he mostly used it to play Final Fantasy VII and VIII.

However, when he left, I would go into his room, turn on the PS2 and play Street Fighter EX3 for hours. I even tried out Orphen, which I defend to this day as an okay game. However, though I enjoyed those games for being this brand new thing with amazing graphics, even then I noticed something off. Street Fighter EX3 didn't have a lot to do in it. There was essentially two different versions of the same mode and that's it, a far cry from the original game on the PS1. Also, Orphen was stiff as hell.

I mention this because I ended up not liking the PS2 that much and this feeling started early. Still, I did want a PS2 and I ended up getting one not long after that...but that's another story.

#1 Posted by believer258 (12216 posts) -

Man, that's a downer. I was expecting a big paragraph talking about Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts, and other early PS2 greats.

I first got my own PS2 in Christmas of 2004 - a little late, yeah. I got Ratchet and Clank Going Commando, an Eyetoy and some skateboarding game, and three racing games with it. The only one that I actually thought was any good was Ratchet, the one I asked for, and I played it so, so much. Fantastic game, that.

#2 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1612 posts) -

This is a horrible answer, but my first memory of the PS2 is playing some kind of snowmobile racing game (Sled Storm?) in a Sony Store.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.