Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

Playstation 2, still the best console I own.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By REDRUN

The Sony PlayStation 2 had always been my most reliable game console I own and the best next to my Nintendo DS. I had my PS2 since the launch (Oct. 2000). This was a better console than the original PlayStation. I went through 2 PS1's because of overheating issues would ruin the optical reader. With the PS2, I am still able to play all the PS1 titles (not the "back-up" copies) without any problems and use all my older peripherals like my arcade stick and memory cards. 

With the add-on like the HDD and Network/Modem, I was able to play games like Socom, FFXI and MGS3. This was a big deal coming from a PC gamer at the time. With the HDD, i was able to move all my saves to the HDD to make room for my constantly crowding memory card. When it comes down on paper, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are the more powerful game system, but the PS2 sold over 100 million units with in its first 5 years while PS3 (21.3 million) and Xbox 360 (27.93 million) in over 3 years has sold a little under 50 million units combined.

There are so many titles I missed and now discovering as we call gem titles of the PS2. For example, I did not discover the Shin Megami Tensei franchise until it was plugged in a 1UP Yours podcast a year ago. I bought my first SMT title last summer and was taken by surprise I overlooked this francise since the original PlayStation. So last night I decided to break the seal of my copy (bought this back in Dec. 2007) of Odin Sphere (another great Atlus title) to play for a couple hours or so. My jaw hit the floor on how awesome this game was. I had never seen any game made as beautiful as this one for the PS2. What got me interested in playing the game was that Muramasa: The Demon Blade was coming to the Wii and I thought the trailers were beautiful.

The PS2 is still the go to system for "just me" gameplay without the temptation of leaving your status online and accepting requests. For friends on my friends list, sorry, this is why I am offline for days at a time. Especially during this recession, buying a new console my be out of the question and there are so many titles on the used game shelf that are gems waiting to be discovered.

Here is my personal rankings consoles i own:

Sony PlayStation 2
    Nintendo DS
    Microsoft Xbox 360
    PC
    Mac
    PlayStation
    Microsoft Xbox
    Super Nintendo
    Nintendo GameCube
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo
    Atari 2600
    Sega Genesis
    Nintendo Wii

(edit: added PC and Mac to list, grammar)

Question for you, which is the favorite game console you own?
    You can list them in ranking order or explain why you have it to be your favorite.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

Xbox 360

Nintendo DS
    PC (Will be top when SC II comes out. Or Diablo III.)
    Shadowsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Shadowsquire

PC

Xbox 360
    PS2
    Nintendo Wii
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By REDRUN
    Vinchenzo said:
    "Xbox 360
    Nintendo DS
    PC (Will be top when SC II comes out. Or Diablo III.)
    "
    lol, Star Craft 2 and Diablo 3 is bring back the crack to the PC gamers. I remember one summer was all about late night sessions of Diablo 2 and SC online. Some more awesome, click on dude untile dude explodes acion for D3 :)
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By subject2change

PC - Spent the most time with Diablo 2, World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike and Team Fortress Classic (CS:S and TF2 as well but not nearly as much)

However recently went back to console gaming and love the PS2 probably most of all with a great library and older titles that are still playable today especially RPGs; hands down the PS2 for best console. I love my PS3 as well but it does everything Streams Media, Plays Classic Games and also new ones. Handheld meh probably the original gameboy which I no longer have, had a GBA SP that i got for free and played it a little, got a DS lite and a PSP and have played through 4 RPGs on them 2 on each console running about 20 hours each so 80 hours total.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar

lols, the PS3 is not even on the list and you would rather have a Mac as a gaming console before the Wii.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Godwind

REDRUN is an oldman.  Atari2600, pfft.

Playstation 2 ranks 3rd on my own list after the Dreamcast and Wii.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By inkeiren
    Godwind said:
    "Playstation 2 ranks 3rd my own list after the Dreamcast and PS2."
    What? Probably just a typo, but I'm confused.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60
    inkeiren said:
    "Godwind said:
    "Playstation 2 ranks 3rd my own list after the Dreamcast and PS2."
    What? Probably just a typo, but I'm confused."
    Me too.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

If I were to in any way rate the consoles, I'd have to do it with a time qualifier.  As far as collective years of enjoyment, PC easily tops my list, but I don't get much out of the current state of PC gaming.

As of today I'd rank 360 first, PS3 a very close second.

I never really got into PS2.  Between trading it in to buy other consoles and games, and a library I never got into as much as systems like NES, SNES, Dreamcast, and Xbox 360...  I'd rank PS2 below those systems in my own enjoyment.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Goly

it has to be the playstation 2 and the ds too, huge catalog, very reliable and basically one of the best if not the best home console and handheld there has been on the market.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By REDRUN
    Godwind said:
    "REDRUN is an oldman.  Atari2600, pfft.Playstation 2 ranks 3rd my own list after the Dreamcast and PS2."
    The Atari 2600 is still functional without a RRoD, we bust it out for just the lulz. I wish I still had my Dreamcast to play some MvC2, Panzer Dragoon and Jet Set Radio.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail

Of course it is. You don't have a PS3.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Willy105

I never got myself to buy a PS2 because I feared it would be unreliable. The PS2 was notorious because of it's bad build quality (something I learned the hard way with the first Playstation. That thing did NOT last. I got 3, none of them work.).

Same reason I am scared of the 360. If I buy a console, I want it to play like new 10 years from now.

1. N64
    2. PC
    3. Wii
    4. DS
    5. Gamecube
    6. Super NES
    7. Game Boy
    8. Playstation 1

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By C0V3RT

I had never had a problem with broken console until this generation. I was able to pull out my old front loader NES and use it without problems.

That being said, my 360 is still my favorite console easily in this gen (and I own all 3 so I'm qualified to say that).

From a nostalgic prespective, my favorite consoles are:
    1 - Super Nintendo
    2 - N64
    3 - Xbox 360
    4 - Sega Genesis (Sega Channel FTW)
    5 - NES

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snail
    Willy105 said:
    "I never got myself to buy a PS2 because I feared it would be unreliable. The PS2 was notorious because of it's bad build quality (something I learned the hard way with the first Playstation. That thing did NOT last. I got 3, none of them work.).Same reason I am scared of the 360. If I buy a console, I want it to play like new 10 years from now."
    it is safe to buy a PS3. You do know that right?
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Godwind
    CL60 said:
    "inkeiren said:
    "Godwind said:
    "Playstation 2 ranks 3rd on my own list after the Dreamcast and Wii."
    What? Probably just a typo, but I'm confused."
    Me too."
    Fixed.

REDRUN
    said:
    "Godwind said:
    "REDRUN is an oldman.  Atari2600, pfft.Playstation 2 ranks 3rd on my own list after the Dreamcast and Wii."
    The Atari 2600 is still functional without a RRoD, we bust it out for just the lulz. I wish I still had my Dreamcast to play some MvC2, Panzer Dragoon and Jet Set Radio. "
    This generation of consoles suck.
    Xbox360 = red ring of death
    PS3 = yellow light of death
    Wii = blue line of death.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By REDRUN
    Snail said:
    "Of course it is. You don't have a PS3."
    Of course, $400 - $500 is a bit expensive for the price of a good DYI PC gaming rig or laptop, plus its not Backward Compatible unless you find someone who is willing to sell their 60GB launch model. I am still trying to find me a reasonable price for a BC 60GB PS3 that is in good or new condition. That is the model you can upgrade the HDD to 320GB or something to that effect.
    The games I do play on the PS3 at the moment is Little Big Planet, CoD: WaW and mostly Street Fighter 4 when ever we get a game night party going with close friends and family. If I could get a BC PS3, then it would quickly jump to the top of my list. For now, it wouldn't be fair for me to rank it anywhere on the list. For a non BC model, I may say I might be there with the Wii, only played for the few 1st party or console exclusives.
    Nintendo did a great job with BC on the DS, DS Lite and Wii. Sony did an awesome job with the PS2 being BC. Microsoft did a sub-par job with BC. Not all the games of the Xbox were supported to play on the 360, only some of the titles that did matter were affected.
    From what I had read around which is possibly not a rumor, there is a PS and PS2 emulator software for the PS3 which allows you to play the legacy games on the console. If Sony released a BC PS3 either being hardware or software supported, then I will not hesitate in buying one. You can quote me on that.

(edit: bad grammar and typos)

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Godwind
    REDRUN said:
    " If Sony released a BC PS3 either being hardware or software supported, then I will not hesitant in buying one. You can quot me on that."
    Quoted.
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By REDRUN
    Godwind said:
    "REDRUN said:
    " If Sony released a BC PS3 either being hardware or software supported, then I will not hesitant in buying one. You can quot me on that."
    Quoted."
    LOL, ur n ass :)
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Snail
    Godwind said:
    "REDRUN said:
    "Godwind said:
    "REDRUN is an oldman.  Atari2600, pfft.Playstation 2 ranks 3rd on my own list after the Dreamcast and Wii."
    The Atari 2600 is still functional without a RRoD, we bust it out for just the lulz. I wish I still had my Dreamcast to play some MvC2, Panzer Dragoon and Jet Set Radio. "
    This generation of consoles suck.Xbox360 = red ring of deathPS3 = yellow light of deathWii = blue line of death."

Your cynicism states that the 360 and the PS3 blow when it comes to hardware reliability.

Wrong.

Actually, half right.

The 360 does suck when it comes to hardware, but the PS3 is reliable, very reliable, and I had never heard of such a thing as the yellow light of death. FYI it is called the Red Ring of Death because of the blue screen of death which occurs in PC's that are also from Microsoft. Point is: It is a Microsoft term. And the 360 sucks when it comes to hardware reliability because Microsoft is a software company, not a hardware company. And you also state that the Wii sucks. Wrong again. The Wii is dead. But that is quite different. It has many great titles, but they are mostly one year old or more. It simply does not please the hardcore gamers, deal with it.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Godwind
    REDRUN said:
    "Godwind said:
    "REDRUN said:
    Quoted."
    LOL, ur n ass :)"
    Wrong, I am a pair of bosoms.  I am sophisticated enough for real time jiggle physics.

Snail
    said:
    "Godwind said:
    "REDRUN said:
    "Godwind said:
    This generation of consoles suck.Xbox360 = red ring of deathPS3 = yellow light of deathWii = blue line of death."
    Your cynicism states that the 360 and the PS3 blow when it comes to hardware reliability.Wrong.Actually, half right.The 360 does suck when it comes to hardware, but the PS3 is reliable, very reliable, and I had never heard of such a thing as the yellow light of death. FYI it is called the Red Ring of Death because of the blue screen of death which occurs in PC's that are also from Microsoft. Point is: It is a Microsoft term. And the 360 sucks when it comes to hardware reliability because Microsoft is a software company, not a hardware company. And you also state that the Wii sucks. Wrong again. The Wii is dead. But that is quite different. It has many great titles, but they are mostly one year old or more. It simply does not please the hardcore gamers, deal with it."

Yellow light of death.  Your welcome.

Anyways, my Wii had a problem booting up 3 months after getting it.   It is a rare issue that occurs.  The disc slot lights plus when a disc is ejected and it pulses when you have a message on your message board.  In my case however, it was a solid blue line.  Nintendo told me to send it in to have it fixed.
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By REDRUN

@Godwind Your avatar makes me want to motorboat.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Godwind
    REDRUN said:
    "@Godwind Your avatar makes me want to motorboat."
    Wailing the Wii Remote works too.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Snail
    Godwind said:
    "Snail said:
    "Your cynicism states that the 360 and the PS3 blow when it comes to hardware reliability.Wrong.Actually, half right.The 360 does suck when it comes to hardware, but the PS3 is reliable, very reliable, and I had never heard of such a thing as the yellow light of death. FYI it is called the Red Ring of Death because of the blue screen of death which occurs in PC's that are also from Microsoft. Point is: It is a Microsoft term. And the 360 sucks when it comes to hardware reliability because Microsoft is a software company, not a hardware company. And you also state that the Wii sucks. Wrong again. The Wii is dead. But that is quite different. It has many great titles, but they are mostly one year old or more. It simply does not please the hardcore gamers, deal with it."
    Yellow light of death.  Your welcome.
    Anyways, my Wii had a problem booting up 3 months after getting it.   It is a rare issue that occurs.  The disc slot lights plus when a disc is ejected and it pulses when you have a message on your message board.  In my case however, it was a solid blue line.  Nintendo told me to send it in to have it fixed."  
    Ah screw those.

Those happen so rarely.

A PS2 was more likely to break than a Wii or PS3, but not more likely to break than a 360.

When it comes to hardware reliability you can trust this gen, except for the 360, stop whining about that,a nd bashing on this gen and face the fact that you were simply unlucky.

I know a guy that had 7 PS2's. Mine never broke and we used it with the same frequency.

LUCK. Have it or not.
    Calidreth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26  Edited By Calidreth

Every system has its flaws, there is no perfect system.  As far as the PlayStation 2 goes, it was a great console but only if you loved role-playing games.  The Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, and Xbox all had a wider range of appealing games in my opinion.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By REDRUN
    Calidreth said:
    "Every system has its flaws, there is no perfect system.  As far as the PlayStation 2 goes, it was a great console but only if you loved role-playing games.  The Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, and Xbox all had a wider range of appealing games in my opinion."
    That is not a far statement. PS2 had the popular driving sim title, many arcade fighting games, many 3rd party action adventure titles. The 3rd party developers pretty much responsible for the popular sales of the PS2 console, leaving the 1st party development team in the back seat enjoying the ride. The majority of the RPG came almost all at once during the tale end of PS2 sales aright at the start of the 360 and PS3 sales. Nintendo had many good 1st party developed games, as far as 3rd party goes, it was kinda weak on that department. Nintendo's strength was in 1st party titles like Mario Kart, Smash Bros. Brawl and Zelda.

Check the list first and compare, then you can make an acurrate statement, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games

If you look back, there are games you can pick back up today and still enjoy them. Xbox had Halo 2 and games supported by Xbox Live which made online gaming have more depth, like having a buddy list, email and voice chat at that time. Retrospectively is not a fun regressing to the older UI where the 360 have a much more features, store and streaming media content. Many of those game still can be played on the Xbox 360 if its  Backwards Compatible supported.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Red

My PS3 is my PS2, and yeah. Let's just say I haven't really touched my 360 since Rock Band 2.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

I own:
    PC
    PS1
    PS2
    PS3
    Xbox
    Xbox 360
    Gamecube
    Wii
    N64
    PSP
    DS

And my PS2 is still by far my favorite. I would be perfectly fine if the PS3/360 never existed, and the PS2 lived on for many more moons.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.