PS2 Must Own games

  • 101 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Im pretty sure that I'll be buying a PS2 sometime in the near future, and I want to make sure that when I do i get all of the best games for the console. Ive got a list here, but I've also got a few questions I want answered. 1. If i were to get only one Suikoden game, which one should it be?
actually, thats really the only quesiton I had. So give me some suggestions! (btw im not a big "First Person" person, so dont bother recommending Killzone or the like)

  • Final Fantasies 7-10
  • Suikoden 3 or 5
  • Strider 2
  • God of War 1-2
  • Vagrant Story
  • Persona 3-4
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Ico
  • Ar Tonelico 2
  • Magna Carta
  • Xenosaga 3
  • Battle Engine Aquilla
  • Devil May Cry (?)
  • Tales of the Abyss/Legendia
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga
  • Xenogears
  • Amplitude
  • Fear Effect 2

So what am I missing? What other gems of gaming must I take part in? I dont want to miss out on anything that i might enjoy, so feel free to name whatever game that comes to your head 
 
Edit: Here are the ones I've already obtained 
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • Parasite Eve 1-2
  • Valkyrie Profile 1-2
  • Marvel vs Capcom 2
  • Metal Gear Solid 2-3
  • Tekken Tag Tournament
  • Lunar 2 Eternal Blue
  • Gran Turismo 4
  • Odin Sphere
  • Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
  • Xenosaga 1-2
  • Sly Cooper
  • Kingdom Hearts 1-2
#2 Edited by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -

Kingdom Hearts.

EDIT:  And Okami.

#3 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
JJOR64 said:
"Kingdom Hearts.EDIT:  And Okami."
Aleady have Okami. Im not sold on Kingdom Hearts. If you want to tell me why I want Kingdom Hearts, ill listen
#4 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -
AgentJ said:
"1. If i were to get only one Suikoden game, which one should it be?"
Probably Suikoden V, since II is rare and expensive.
#5 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
AnimZero said:
"AgentJ said:
"1. If i were to get only one Suikoden game, which one should it be?"
Probably Suikoden V, since II is rare and expensive."
So two is the best, and V is the second best?
#6 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

Are you counting PS1 games? Because Suikoden I and II are PS1 games.

Also, one nega-vote for Kingdom Hearts.
#7 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
BoG said:
"Are you counting PS1 games? Because Suikoden I and II are PS1 games.
Also, one nega-vote for Kingdom Hearts.
"
Right, I want as many games I can play on my PS2 as I can. Many of the Final fantasies and the Lunar 2 on the list, as well as parasite eve, are also PS1
#8 Posted by raven_squad (438 posts) -

Xenosaga series. 

#9 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -
AgentJ said:
"AnimZero said:
"AgentJ said:
"1. If i were to get only one Suikoden game, which one should it be?"
Probably Suikoden V, since II is rare and expensive."
So two is the best, and V is the second best?
"
I'd say so. Avoid IV though, it's pretty bad.
#10 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
raven_squad said:
"Xenosaga series. "
Ooh Perfect. I knew I was forgetting some and that was a big one. Consider it ADDED!
#11 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -
AgentJ said:
"BoG said:
"Are you counting PS1 games? Because Suikoden I and II are PS1 games.
Also, one nega-vote for Kingdom Hearts.
"
Right, I want as many games I can play on my PS2 as I can. Many of the Final fantasies and the Lunar 2 on the list, as well as parasite eve, are also PS1
"
Oh, well I didn't see MGS1 on there, so I assumed. Symphony of the Night is lacking as well.
#12 Edited by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -

Ok, the reason why I think you should get Kingdom Hearts is because it's a very fun real time RPG.  Ok, it does have Disney Elements in the game which my be a plus for some but, it's all about the gameplay.  The game is a solid 25-30 hours to just get to the end and there are lots of side stuff to do.  The game has lots of epic boss battles, espically KH2, that are always fun to play.  And you may have heard, you can fight Sephiroth, who is the hardest boss in the game.  Kingdom Hearts 2 is what made KH1 awesome but, with lots more in the game.  The gameplay was improved, new worlds, a crap ton of boss battles, and lots of side quest stuff to do.  I would have to say the only bad thing about the games is that they have slow starts.  Once you are about 2 hours into the game then it gets better.  Over all I think they are very fun real time RPGs that you would like.

Also on a side note, the Onimusha games are fun.

#13 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
BoG said:
"AgentJ said:
"BoG said:
"Are you counting PS1 games? Because Suikoden I and II are PS1 games.
Also, one nega-vote for Kingdom Hearts.
"
Right, I want as many games I can play on my PS2 as I can. Many of the Final fantasies and the Lunar 2 on the list, as well as parasite eve, are also PS1
"
Oh, well I didn't see MGS1 on there, so I assumed. Symphony of the Night is lacking as well.
"
MGS 1 because I have the Gamecube version(i think we discussed that in your top 30 list) and Symphony of the night i have on XBLA
#14 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -
BoG said:
"AgentJ said:
"BoG said:
"Are you counting PS1 games? Because Suikoden I and II are PS1 games.
Also, one nega-vote for Kingdom Hearts.
"
Right, I want as many games I can play on my PS2 as I can. Many of the Final fantasies and the Lunar 2 on the list, as well as parasite eve, are also PS1
"
Oh, well I didn't see MGS1 on there, so I assumed. Symphony of the Night is lacking as well.
"
Didn't see this so I will make another post.  Since you are also getting PS1 games, the Crash Bandicoot games and the Tomba games.
#15 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
JJOR64 said:
"BoG said:
"AgentJ said:
"BoG said:
"Are you counting PS1 games? Because Suikoden I and II are PS1 games.
Also, one nega-vote for Kingdom Hearts.
"
Right, I want as many games I can play on my PS2 as I can. Many of the Final fantasies and the Lunar 2 on the list, as well as parasite eve, are also PS1
"
Oh, well I didn't see MGS1 on there, so I assumed. Symphony of the Night is lacking as well.
"
Didn't see this so I will make another post.  Since you are also getting PS1 games, the Crash Bandicoot games and the Tomba games."
Tomba? Im not familiar. I may have to take a look at Crash though. Also, I just remembered Sly Cooper
#16 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -
Tomba! is hands down my favorite PS1 game.
Best PS1 Game Ever


#17 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
JJOR64 said:
"Tomba! is hands down my favorite PS1 game.
Best PS1 Game Ever
"
Ah, that creature-thing. Ill have to take a look
#18 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -

Also Klonoa for PS1.  I can keep adding awesome PS1/PS2 games to this list all day.


There is a remake of this game coming at the end of or the beginning of May for Wii.
#19 Posted by adamantiumfiend (37 posts) -

glad to see odin sphere on the list, that game is beautiful.  thinking about it makes me wish i still had my ps2.  i'd also say nay to kingdom hearts.

#20 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Your list needs some Jak and Daxter.

#21 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

#22 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -
Black_Rose said:
"Your list needs some Jak and Daxter."
That and Ratchet and Clank.
#23 Edited by Axersia (1615 posts) -

Stuff I think you should add to the list:

Action
God Hand (warning: hardest effing game on the system, but oh so great -- the best game that came out of Clover Studios IMO)
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (pretty challenging as well)
Maximo vs the Army of Zin (if you're a fan of retro games -- the Ghosts 'n' Goblins series in particular -- I'd recommend the first game as well, but it's very unforgiving and isn't as pretty as the second game because it started development as an N64 title)

Action/Adventure
Primal (yeah, bet ya didn't see that coming. I doubt anyone remembers this game)
Silent Hill 3 (this is the only one in the series I'd recommend. SH2 is kinda hard to go back to, and SH4 is kinda meh)
Jak 2 & 3
GTA 3, VC and SA
Steambot Chronicles
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 (yeah, this belongs under Action/Adventure IMO)

Action RPG
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Tales of the Abyss (has some issues on the technical side of things but otherwise a great game)
Tales of Legendia
Radiata Stories
Rogue Galaxy

Turn-Based RPG
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (best in the MegaTen series IMO)
Shadow Hearts 2 & 3 (haven't played the first one)
Wild Arms 3 & 4 (the only games in the series I've played)
Grandia II

As for trying to sell you on KH... I think JJOR64 summed it up quite nicely. KH2 is actually my favorite game of all time and I own multiple copies of each game in the series (gotta have all the Japan-exclusive optional bosses, y'know? :P). I do like the story, but like JJOR64 said, it's all about the gameplay. I haven't played Shadow of the Colossus yet, but KH2 has the most memorable and epic boss battles I've ever experienced (further enhanced by Yoko Shimomura's excellent soundtrack). I'm really not sure if you should bother with the games if you're not familiar with Disney movies, though... I grew up on those movies (even though most if not all of them were actually created before I was born), and I don't think I would've enjoyed the series as much if it weren't for the nostalgia factor.

#24 Posted by Optiow (1745 posts) -

Nice list, you will definately want Final Fantasy X.

#25 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
JJOR64 said:
"Also Klonoa for PS1.  I can keep adding awesome PS1/PS2 games to this list all day.


There is a remake of this game coming at the end of or the beginning of May for Wii."
Yeah, I was planning on waiting, because the remake looks beautiful.
\Black_Rose said:
"Your list needs some Jak and Daxter."
Black_Rose said:
"Your list needs some Jak and Daxter."
JJOR64 said:
That and Ratchet and Clank."
I'd have to play demos of both again, because I didn;t really like them all that much the first time, but Im willing to give them another chance
dsplayer1010 said:
"Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4"
Sorry Bro, but the only Tony Hawk game I've ever enjoyed was Pro Skater 2 for the Gameboy Advance. 
Axersia said:
"Stuff I think you should add to the list:

Action
God Hand (warning: hardest effing game on the system, but oh so great -- the best game that came out of Clover Studios IMO)
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (pretty challenging as well)
Maximo vs the Army of Zin (if you're a fan of retro games -- the Ghosts 'n' Goblins series in particular -- I'd recommend the first game as well, but it's very unforgiving and isn't as pretty as the second game because it started development as an N64 title)

Action/Adventure
Primal (yeah, bet ya didn't see that coming. I doubt anyone remembers this game)
Silent Hill 3 (this is the only one in the series I'd recommend. SH2 is kinda hard to go back to, and SH4 is kinda meh)
Jak 2 & 3
GTA 3, VC and SA
Steambot Chronicles
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 (yeah, this belongs under Action/Adventure IMO)

Action RPG
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Tales of the Abyss (has some issues on the technical side of things but otherwise a great game)
Tales of Legendia
Radiata Stories
Rogue Galaxy

Turn-Based RPGShin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (best in the MegaTen series IMO)Shadow Hearts 2 & 3 (haven't played the first one)Wild Arms 3 & 4 (the only games in the series I've played)Grandia IIAs for trying to sell you on KH... I think JJOR64 summed it up quite nicely. KH2 is actually my favorite game of all time and I own multiple copies of each game in the series (gotta have all the Japan-exclusive optional bosses, y'know? :P). I do like the story, but like JJOR64 said, it's all about the gameplay. I haven't played Shadow of the Colossus yet, but KH2 has the most memorable and epic boss battles I've ever experienced (further enhanced by Yoko Shimomura's excellent soundtrack). I'm really not sure if you should bother with the games if you're not familiar with Disney movies, though... I grew up on those movies (even though most if not all of them were actually created before I was born), and I don't think I would've enjoyed the series as much if it weren't for the nostalgia factor."
Action
Ill look at God Hand especially since there were so many comparisons between it and Madworld
The Devil May Cry series is one i'd like to get into, but I heard number 2 sucks. Would it be okay to skip 2? Would I understand what was going on? 
There is NO WAY that I'm getting a game like ghosts and goblins...

Action Adventure
I took a look at Primals GB page. It looks promising. Ill have to take a look. 
Silent Hill has the pyramid heads and nurses right?
Jak is a series that I havent liked much, but im willing to give it another shot
Already have San Andreas for the PC and, ironicly for the PS2 as well (bought it from a friend years ago when i thought id be getting a PS2 earlier) but have no desire for the others
Steambot didnt look like my kind of game
We'll see on Kingdom Hearts

Action RPG
Not a fan of Star Ocean
Tales of the Abyss... Ill have to take a look since I loved Symphonia
Same with Legendia
Im a little iffy on Radiata Stories.Looks too much like Eternal Sonata
Rogue Galaxy... not likely

Turn Based: 
Hrm, another SMT?
shadow Hearts looks potentially interesting
wild arms doesnt look like my cup of tea
grandia III is probably more likely than 2 for me
We'll see on the Kingdom Hearts

Overall a very helpful list! Thank you for putting the effort in!
#26 Posted by sfighter21 (798 posts) -

Not into the Jak series!!  WHAT!?  That is probably the only thing I recommend to you...I did like Rogue Galaxy as well, but I'm a space buff as well as an RPG enthusiast so it worked for me.  Oh, and if you're into the open-world stuff I say try some Bully...

#27 Edited by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Are amplitude, frequency,the .hack series, alter iris, stella deus, ar tonelico,STRIDER 2, Vandal Hearts,  and Mercanaries worth it?

#28 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -
  • Final Fantasies 7,8,9,10,12, Tactics 
  • Chrono Cross
  • Marvel vs Capcom 2 - I would reccomend because its one of my favs but its gunna run you like $100 
  • Metal Gear Solid 2-3 - If you can handle controls that are a little outdated, these are some of my favs
  • Virtua Fighter 4 EVO - awesome game 
  • Street Fighter Anniversary Collection(has SSFIII Third Strike Right?) yes it has third strike, get it
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3 - world tour mode is amazing, my personal fav street fighter game
  • Rouge Galaxy is fun
  • Soul Calibur 2 (or 3)
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Capcom Vs SNK 2
  • Devil May Cry 1 (3 was too hard for me to play)
  • god hand - fun but gets hard after a while

  • If you can handle outdated graphics, there are a ton of awesome ps1 rpgs,
    go through the FF library of the SNESgames,
     maybe the lunar games (i have them, just havnt found time to play them yet)
    I loved vagrant story back in the day but I remember it being a hard and tedious dungeon crawler, i basicaly played it so i could get to the cut scenes every 20 minutes. great story tho,
    Legend Of Dragoon
    Metal Gear Solid (if you never played it or twin snakes)
    Star Ocean Second Story

    try those for now

    #29 Edited by sfighter21 (798 posts) -
    AgentJ said:
    "Are amplitude, frequency,the .hack series, alter iris, stella deus, ar tonelico, and Mercanaries worth it?"
    I only have Mercenaries out of those, and yeah, it is awesome.
    #30 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -

    Champions of Norrath and Champions: Return to Arms are some of the best PS2 RPGs I've played. High replayability.

    #31 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
    gla55jAw said:
    "
  • Final Fantasies 7,8,9,10,12, Tactics 
  • Chrono Cross
  • Marvel vs Capcom 2 - I would reccomend because its one of my favs but its gunna run you like $100 
  • Metal Gear Solid 2-3 - If you can handle controls that are a little outdated, these are some of my favs
  • Virtua Fighter 4 EVO - awesome game 
  • Street Fighter Anniversary Collection(has SSFIII Third Strike Right?) yes it has third strike, get it
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3 - world tour mode is amazing, my personal fav street fighter game
  • Rouge Galaxy is fun
  • Soul Calibur 2 (or 3)
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Capcom Vs SNK 2
  • Devil May Cry 1 (3 was too hard for me to play)
  • god hand - fun but gets hard after a while

  • If you can handle outdated graphics, there are a ton of awesome ps1 rpgs,
    go through the FF library of the SNESgames,
     maybe the lunar games (i have them, just havnt found time to play them yet)
    I loved vagrant story back in the day but I remember it being a hard and tedious dungeon crawler, i basicaly played it so i could get to the cut scenes every 20 minutes. great story tho,
    Legend Of Dragoon
    Metal Gear Solid (if you never played it or twin snakes)
    Star Ocean Second Story

    try those for now

    "
    Definately will get the Final Fantasies, but why no XI? And while I love SPRGs, FFtactics just isnt for me
    Do you still recommend Chrono Cross knowing that I enjoyed Chrono Trigger, but didnt love it?
    Marvel Vs Capcom 2 may be getting a release on PS3/XBOX soon, so i might just get it on XBOX
    Im definately getting the Metal Gears
    Virtua Fighter never appealed to me the same way as other 3D fighting giants like Tekken
    Third Strike!!!!
    Street Fighter Alpha 3... i had it for my GBA for a while, but I like SSFIIHDTR more
    Eh on Rogue Galaxy
    Have Soul Calibur 2 for GCN
    Ill think about Dragon Quest VIII, but IM getting Dragon Quest IX when it comes out on DS, so it might not be worth it.
    Have Capcom Vs SNK 2 for GCN
    Im looking at Devil May Cry
    Need to see more of god hand

    I already have the entire FF SNES library, as well as the first three.
    Im getting Lunar 2 Eternal Blue
    Ive heard good things about Vagrant Story so its likely
    Legend of Dragoon, have to look it up
    I own Twin Snakes so Metal Gear Solid 1 is needless
    Not a big fan of Star Ocean

    Another helpful list! Thanks!
    #32 Posted by bwooduhs (1617 posts) -

    Ratchet and Clank series and Jak series.

    #33 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -
    AgentJ said:
    "gla55jAw said:
    "
  • Final Fantasies 7,8,9,10,12, Tactics 
  • Chrono Cross
  • Marvel vs Capcom 2 - I would reccomend because its one of my favs but its gunna run you like $100 
  • Metal Gear Solid 2-3 - If you can handle controls that are a little outdated, these are some of my favs
  • Virtua Fighter 4 EVO - awesome game 
  • Street Fighter Anniversary Collection(has SSFIII Third Strike Right?) yes it has third strike, get it
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3 - world tour mode is amazing, my personal fav street fighter game
  • Rouge Galaxy is fun
  • Soul Calibur 2 (or 3)
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Capcom Vs SNK 2
  • Devil May Cry 1 (3 was too hard for me to play)
  • god hand - fun but gets hard after a while


    If you can handle outdated graphics, there are a ton of awesome ps1 rpgs,
    go through the FF library of the SNESgames,
     maybe the lunar games (i have them, just havnt found time to play them yet)
    I loved vagrant story back in the day but I remember it being a hard and tedious dungeon crawler, i basicaly played it so i could get to the cut scenes every 20 minutes. great story tho,
    Legend Of Dragoon
    Metal Gear Solid (if you never played it or twin snakes)
    Star Ocean Second Story

    try those for now

    "
  • Definately will get the Final Fantasies, but why no XI? And while I love SPRGs, FFtactics just isnt for me
    Do you still recommend Chrono Cross knowing that I enjoyed Chrono Trigger, but didnt love it?
    Marvel Vs Capcom 2 may be getting a release on PS3/XBOX soon, so i might just get it on XBOX
    Im definately getting the Metal Gears
    Virtua Fighter never appealed to me the same way as other 3D fighting giants like Tekken
    Third Strike!!!!
    Street Fighter Alpha 3... i had it for my GBA for a while, but I like SSFIIHDTR more
    Eh on Rogue Galaxy
    Have Soul Calibur 2 for GCN
    Ill think about Dragon Quest VIII, but IM getting Dragon Quest IX when it comes out on DS, so it might not be worth it.
    Have Capcom Vs SNK 2 for GCN
    Im looking at Devil May Cry
    Need to see more of god hand

    I already have the entire FF SNES library, as well as the first three.
    Im getting Lunar 2 Eternal Blue
    Ive heard good things about Vagrant Story so its likely
    Legend of Dragoon, have to look it up
    I own Twin Snakes so Metal Gear Solid 1 is needless
    Not a big fan of Star Ocean

    Another helpful list! Thanks!
    "
    Yeah no problem, I didn't know you had a 360 so wait to see if MvC2 actually comes out and just get it for that if it does. As for Chrono Cross, I actually have yet to play my copy of Chrono Trigger, so I can't say, but I did like it alot. Oh and Final Fantasy XI you can get on 360 if you want but it requires a monthly payment, its basically a WoW ripoff, I've never played it. I'm pretty sure PS2 doesn't support it anymore.

    Oh and if you get MGS3, get the subsistance version, you can move the camera freely. It's alot better that way. If I think of anything else I'll post more.

    Maybe also Max Payne 1 and 2, I picked those both up for $3 at gamestop.
    #34 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
    bwooduhs said:
    "Ratchet and Clank series and Jak series."
    Probably not
    gla55jAw said:
    Yeah no problem, I didn't know you had a 360 so wait to see if MvC2 actually comes out and just get it for that if it does. As for Chrono Cross, I actually have yet to play my copy of Chrono Trigger, so I can't say, but I did like it alot. Oh and Final Fantasy XI you can get on 360 if you want but it requires a monthly payment, its basically a WoW ripoff, I've never played it. I'm pretty sure PS2 doesn't support it anymore.Oh and if you get MGS3, get the subsistance version, you can move the camera freely. It's alot better that way. If I think of anything else I'll post more.Maybe also Max Payne 1 and 2, I picked those both up for $3 at gamestop."
    Hrm, how highly would you rate Max Payne? Oh and wasnt FFXI out before WOW?
    #35 Posted by Asurastrike (2167 posts) -

    Do you own a Gamecube or Xbox? Because if you don't I'd say get Resident Evil 4, and Viewtiful Joe.

    #36 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
    Asurastrike said:
    "Do you own a Gamecube or Xbox? Because if you don't I'd say get Resident Evil 4, and Viewtiful Joe."
    have both re4 and Viewtiful joe for Gamecube
    #37 Edited by strangeling (1260 posts) -
    JJOR64 said:
    "Tomba! is hands down my favorite PS1 game.
    Best PS1 Game Ever
    "
    Wait. I thought Tomba! was one of the few games that didn't work on the PS2.
    #38 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -
    strangeling said:
    "JJOR64 said:
    "Tomba! is hands down my favorite PS1 game.
    Best PS1 Game Ever
    "
    Wait. I thought Tomba! was one of the few games that didn't work on the PS2.
    "
    It works.  Got this game last year off eBay and played the whole thing on my PS2.
    #39 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -
    JJOR64 said:
    "It works.  Got this game last year off eBay and played the whole thing on my PS2."
    I wonder if it matters what hardware revision you have.  I noticed while looking up the compatibility list (see the link edited in) that Sony apparently released hardware that made some PS2 games flaky.  What's up with that?
    #40 Edited by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

    Okay, well... I would disagree on plenty of those games you have listed, though most of them just aren't games I'd have any interest in. Anyway, here's some of my suggestions. Oh, and dude. Your lack of the GTA games is mind-blowing. The GTA games have been at the forefront of video games since GTA3 was released in the PS2 era. Maybe you've played them and just weren't feeling it. If that's the case, I understand. I felt that way about the series at first, but with some time learned to truly fall in love with its greatness. Okay, okay, getting back on track here, these are what I consider to be the must-own games of the PS2:

    • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    • The Warriors
    • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    • God of War
    • Katamari Damacy
    • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    • Tony Hawk's Underground
    • Ratchet and Clank
    • Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
    • Shadow of the Colossus
    • NBA Street
    • ATV Offroad Fury 2
    • Guitar Hero
    • Stuntman
    • Scarface: The World is Yours
    • Twisted Metal Black
    • The Godfather
    • Sly Cooper and the Thievius Racoonus

    I'm sure people will disagree with a couple of those, and that's fine. Some of them aren't for everybody. Stuntman is great but requires patience. Some people have beef with Scarface. While it's not perfect, I think it's pretty darn good overall. I wanted to add Red Faction, but I went back and tried playing it again like a year ago, and it had some of the most horrid controls imaginable. Katamari may look very unusual and foreign, and well, it is. But it's also great fun and was only $20 when it came out, so you could probably find it dirt cheap now. The Warriors is a game you need to play. It's freaking excellent. Made by Rockstar, based off the movie. A wonderful adaptation and basically everything you'd want in a modern-day brawler. Okay, that's all I'm gonna say, I won't comment on all of them. Do yourself a favor and play these games.
    #41 Edited by strangeling (1260 posts) -

    Concerning FF XI for PS2... I believe there's a monthly fee to worry about, and requires the PS2 hard drive.


    Also, I'd recommend Onimusha, and maybe its sequels (own 2 & 3, but haven't really played them yet.)
    And Gitaroo Man.
    And Frequency and Amplitude.
    #42 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
    TheGreatGuero said:
    "Okay, well... I would disagree on plenty of those games you have listed, though most of them just aren't games I'd have any interest in. Anyway, here's some of my suggestions. Oh, and dude. Your lack of the GTA games is mind-blowing. The GTA games have been at the forefront of video games since GTA3 was released in the PS2 era. Maybe you've played them and just weren't feeling it. If that's the case, I understand. I felt that way about the series at first, but with some time learned to truly fall in love with its greatness. Okay, okay, getting back on track here, these are what I consider to be the must-own games of the PS2:

    • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City  Im not really interested in going backwards with the GTA games. Do love 4 though
    • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Have it for PC, and for PS2 if i ever want to pull it out once i get one
    • The Warriors This is one i missed. Good call
    • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty I was going to pick up the Metal Gears anyway
    • God of War I suppose this is a must have isnt it?
    • Katamari Damacy Katamari was already on my list. Looking forward to it
    • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 Never really liked the 3D Hawk games
    • Tony Hawk's Underground In fact, the only Hawk i did like was 2 on the GBA
    • Ratchet and Clank What I have played of Ratchet and Clank (and Jak and Daxter) I havent liked. Im willing to give them a second shot
    • Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando See above
    • Shadow of the Colossus An obvious must have right?
    • NBA Street Is there a reason why I want this for PS2 other than X360 or GCN/WIi?
    • ATV Offroad Fury 2 How does this compare to modern offroad games?
    • Guitar Hero Already have rock band
    • Stuntman FUCK YEAH! The first game I got for my XBOX was Stuntman Ignition! I love the franchise!
    • Scarface: The World is Yours You may have convinced me to give it a shot
    • Twisted Metal Black Forgot about Twisted Metal. Good man
    • The Godfather How good is it?
    • Sly Cooper and the Thievius Racoonus Its on my list
    I'm sure people will disagree with a couple of those, and that's fine. Some of them aren't for everybody. Stuntman is great but requires patience. Some people have beef with Scarface. While it's not perfect, I think it's pretty darn good overall. I wanted to add Red Faction, but I went back and tried playing it again like a year ago, and it had some of the most horrid controls imaginable. Katamari may look very unusual and foreign, and well, it is. But it's also great fun and was only $20 when it came out, so you could probably find it dirt cheap now. The Warriors is a game you need to play. It's freaking excellent. Made by Rockstar, based off the movie. A wonderful adaptation and basically everything you'd want in a modern-day brawler. Okay, that's all I'm gonna say, I won't comment on all of them. Do yourself a favor and play these games."
    Again, thanks for the input. STUNTMAN!
    #43 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

    Add Street Fighter Alpha Collection...


    "Have Capcom Vs SNK 2 for GCN"

    What you have is a complete joke of a game, that could not be more different than the fine Dreamcast version. EO stands for Easy Operation, that says it all really. The GC version is terrible but the PS2 version is OK , everything is intact
    #44 Edited by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

    AgentJ, thanks for your reply. Nice to see you man-handle all my suggestions like that. THAT REPLY WAS ALPHA, BABY. YOU! YOU'RE GENETICALLY SUPERIOR, BRO! Also, I know some of them you already listed, but considering there were so few on that list I'd recommend (mainly because the majority of them I never played and they don't seem like my cup of tea), I thought I'd include them in my list as well.

    As for Vice City, it might be a little tough to go back to now that you've played the others, but man, it's a game you really can't overlook. I think it's the best GTA game I've ever played, and don't get me wrong, I love GTA4 also, but you need to take some time out for Vice City. It's one of the best games on the PS2 without question, and one of my all-time favorite games, in fact, it is among my top 3.

    I'm not sure how exactly you never liked the 3D Tony Hawk games, but okay. If you're sure, you're sure. I think THPS3 is the best in series, and it's one of my all-time favorites also.

    I suggest giving Ratchet a second shot. It's a cool series, man. The first one is great, though let me warn you ahead of time that the boss is pretty much impossible unless you exploit a glitch (which you can do at any time, don't worry) to get a ton of money to buy a certain weapon. I thought the second one was really great, though it's final boss was definitely pretty weak. However, I found the second one to be highly replayable.

    I think the original NBA Street is totally rad. I like it more than the follow-ups. It was the modern day NBA Jam. I had some good times with it. To be honest, though, I've never gone back to it so I'm not so sure how well it holds up these days. I suppose you could pass on this one if you've played the others.

    ATV Offroad Fury 2 is a game that really didn't get the respect it deserved. I remember it got a 7.0 at Gamespot, and it's much worse follow-up ATVOF3 received a score of 7.5. I never understood that. The 3rd one was kinda whack and very uninspired with many lame stages. Personally, I'm not all that big on off-road racing games, but I can say that ATVOF2 was some of the most fun I've ever had on any PS2 game. Especially when racing 2-player with a friend. If you're into that kind of stuff, check it out. I imagine there are better off-road racing games out there, but I have yet to find one that I've enjoyed as much as ATVOF2. Whether you want to pass on it or not, I leave it up to you.

    With Stuntman, you said you love the franchise, so I'm assuming that includes the original too, right? I hope so. I think the first one is better. In the original, they actually used your own footage in the movie clips. Considering how crazy your runs could end up, it was really rewarding to see your extra crazy stunts make it into the trailers. Stuntman: Ignition was good, but I'm not totally thrilled about the way you had to completely link everything to get 100%. It kind of felt unnatural that you'd have to keep driving extra close to objects and stuff every 2 seconds to keep the chain going.

    Scarface is a game some will love, others will hate. It changes the story of the movie. If you can't get over that, forget about it and don't bother. I thought the drug dealing mechanics of the game were a lot of fun. I suppose that aspect could be repetitive, and required quite a bit of work to keep things in balance, but that never really bugged me too much. The gameplay was quite good as far as I'm concerned. The soundtrack was awesome. People don't talk enough about the game's soundtrack. I guess it makes the fatal error of having some bonus songs that aren't from the 80's. Whatever. Big deal. I don't think it hurts the game at all. The world in the game is well designed. I had plenty of fun with the combat, and the driving too. Lots of great races, lots of great variety in the places you'll visit, and lots of Tony Montana's mouth. I thought the Balls meter ended up being a great idea. It had a lot of really smart ideas. Some people think it's too much of a rip-off of Vice City, but I would disagree. The game does plenty to stand up on it's own, and in fact, quite a few of it's ideas ended up being borrowed by Rockstar for GTAIV. Oh, the whole "Pimp my Crib" aspect they added is a neat idea, but it doesn't actually work in the game. Well, I mean, it works, but everything just gets reset back to the default appearance, so I guess it's a bug or something. Not a big deal anyway, but that was one of the disadvantages of last gen for sure, since they couldn't release an update to easily fix it. Regardless, I think it's a game you'll definitely have to see for yourself. I hope you'll enjoy it the way I have.

    Okay, this is getting long. The Godfather... Look, back when it came out, I was skeptical. I was not a big fan of EA either, especially with all the stuff they had been doing in the business, but I think lately they've turned things around a bit. So let me tell you about the Godfather. The gameplay is a lot of fun. It's a violent game. I remember at a couple points, it was almost kind of disturbing to me. Not that it's excessively violent or gory or anything, but at the time, it all just seemed so real to me. Those ragdoll physics are put to really good use, let me tell ya. Dropping a dude with a shotgun is some serious business. The music in the game loops the main theme over a lot, and that seems kind of unfortunate after playing games like GTA, but what can ya do? Considering the time when the movies take place, it's understandable. There's also not very much variety in cars in the game, and their physics, much like Scarface's, can be a little weird at times, but they get the job done. Basically throughout the game, you'll take over businesses and eliminate gang factions, but I found all that to be enjoyable enough to gladly do it countless times throughout the game. It's cool, man. I actually don't own this one. I need to buy it for 360, so I can replay it and nab some achievements while I'm at it.

    Alright, that's it. I'm done. If you have anymore questions, let me know.

    #45 Edited by Axersia (1615 posts) -
    AgentJ said:
    "Are amplitude, frequency,the .hack series, alter iris, stella deus, ar tonelico,STRIDER 2, Vandal Hearts,  and Mercanaries worth it?"
    Don't bother with the first .hack series.

    As for .hack//G.U.... ehhh... I dunno. It's better but it's kind of tough to recommend unless you're already a fan of the franchise. You can't just buy a single game and expect to get the full experience. You'll have to watch the anime, read the manga, and get all 3 games. The G.U. storyline also requires knowledge of the first series, which is why for a limited time the first volume of G.U. came with a bonus disc containing cutscenes of the first series rendered in the new engine. If you really wanna give G.U. a go, those should bring you up to speed quite nicely, but at this point I can't recommend that you actually play the first series. Gameplay-wise G.U. isn't really worth it either because it's just a simple randomly-generated dungeon crawler, but to play it for its story you have to go all the way.

    Ar tonelico I could never get into (also, the constant drops in framerate were also really bothersome), but I did like Atelier Iris 1 & 2 and would recommend those as well.

    Also, I can't believe I forgot to add Dragon Quest VIII to my list since it's my second favorite game of all time. I can't recommend it enough. Seriously, buy it.

    Can't really comment on the other games. Mercenaries looks fun, though -- I'll have to get that myself one of these days.
    #46 Posted by Calidreth (126 posts) -

    Final Fantasy X and XII
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3
    GTA 3, VC, SA
    Ratchet and Clank Games
    Stuntman
    God of War
    Kingdom Hearts I and II
    Dragon Quest VIII
    007 Nightfire
    Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3
    Persona 4



    #47 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

    Amplitude.

    Don't get FF12.
    #48 Posted by ValkyrieGoddess (1922 posts) -

    This game is fun.














    So is this one.












    #49 Posted by theMcNasty (740 posts) -

    Twisted Metal 2, 3, 4

    #50 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -
    AgentJ said:
    "bwooduhs said:
    "Ratchet and Clank series and Jak series."
    Probably not
    gla55jAw said:
    Yeah no problem, I didn't know you had a 360 so wait to see if MvC2 actually comes out and just get it for that if it does. As for Chrono Cross, I actually have yet to play my copy of Chrono Trigger, so I can't say, but I did like it alot. Oh and Final Fantasy XI you can get on 360 if you want but it requires a monthly payment, its basically a WoW ripoff, I've never played it. I'm pretty sure PS2 doesn't support it anymore.Oh and if you get MGS3, get the subsistance version, you can move the camera freely. It's alot better that way. If I think of anything else I'll post more.Maybe also Max Payne 1 and 2, I picked those both up for $3 at gamestop."
    Hrm, how highly would you rate Max Payne? Oh and wasnt FFXI out before WOW?
    "


    I only played through most of the first Max Payne so far, It's fun, a little outdated for the time, but for $3 you really can't go wrong, plus the story is awesome. As for FFXI being out before WoW, I'm really not sure.

     

    Someone said Onimusha, that was the first  PS2 game I ever played, I remember liking it and always wanted to play the sequals. Not sure how it holds up now, but def worth a look into. I'm going to gamestop today and if I see anything else I'll post more.

    This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

    Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

    Comment and Save

    Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.