Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

So long, PS2. Thank you for my favorite gaming memory ever.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

Edited By skrutop

In the summer months before it was released, I prepaid for my PS2 so that I could have it for launch day, Thursday October 26, 2000. That August, I got my first job as an IT consultant. On launch day, I was working in San Antonio and my regular Thursday flight back to Chicago got delayed. It was 7:30 PM and pouring down rain at O'Hare, but I was determined to make it to EB Games before they closed at 9. I told the cabbie that I would pay double if he could make it back to my house by 8:15 so that I'd have time to snatch up the console. His cab left the stand like a bullet out of a gun, and though it was the most terrifying cab ride of my life, that cabbie was determined to make an extra $40. At the house at 8:10, I threw money at him, grabbed the keys to my Jeep and tore out onto the street. Sure enough, I made it to the mall at 8:45 and ran to the EB. The female cashier, dressed as Ling Xiaoyu, walked in the back and came out with a big white plastic bag of happy, telling me that it was the last system that they had in the store. I don't really remember the ride home, but I do remember hooking up the PS2 and playing Tekken Tag Tournament for hours and hours until the sun came up and I had to get ready for work.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By skrutop

In the summer months before it was released, I prepaid for my PS2 so that I could have it for launch day, Thursday October 26, 2000. That August, I got my first job as an IT consultant. On launch day, I was working in San Antonio and my regular Thursday flight back to Chicago got delayed. It was 7:30 PM and pouring down rain at O'Hare, but I was determined to make it to EB Games before they closed at 9. I told the cabbie that I would pay double if he could make it back to my house by 8:15 so that I'd have time to snatch up the console. His cab left the stand like a bullet out of a gun, and though it was the most terrifying cab ride of my life, that cabbie was determined to make an extra $40. At the house at 8:10, I threw money at him, grabbed the keys to my Jeep and tore out onto the street. Sure enough, I made it to the mall at 8:45 and ran to the EB. The female cashier, dressed as Ling Xiaoyu, walked in the back and came out with a big white plastic bag of happy, telling me that it was the last system that they had in the store. I don't really remember the ride home, but I do remember hooking up the PS2 and playing Tekken Tag Tournament for hours and hours until the sun came up and I had to get ready for work.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By rentfn

Getting a console at launch is the best!! Great story!!!

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By 9cupsoftea
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By MariachiMacabre

After 140 hours of total play time and countless attempts, finally beating the Final Aeon in FFX. He had killed every one of my Aeons except my weakest, Shiva. I used her Overdrive and for the first and only time, her move crit for 42,000 damage and finished him off. It remains one of my happiest moments with games.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Sooty

Vice City and Persona 4

nevar forget

mrchup0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By mrchup0n

The things a traveling gig with ACN will make you do for your games. I loathed the idea of lugging my 360 in my carry-on... But I did it anyway for AC:Brotherhood.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By skrutop

@MrCHUP0N: I used to lug my PS2 to San Francisco every week. Kind of stupid, in retrospect, but I had games to play dammit!

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By supermonkey122

PS2>every other console.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

@supermonkey122 said:

PS2>every other console.

No, no, SNES, then PS2.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By supermonkey122

@believer258 said:

@supermonkey122 said:

PS2>every other console.

No, no, SNES, then PS2.

I like PS2 better, sorry.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

@supermonkey122 said:

@believer258 said:

@supermonkey122 said:

PS2>every other console.

No, no, SNES, then PS2.

I like PS2 better, sorry.

Well then you are wrong!

I'm kidding! The PS2 is a great system, I just don't think there's anything on it as great as some of the things on the SNES. Chrono Trigger, Mario World, Final Fantasy III VI, Super Metroid, etc.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By BigBoss1911

@9cupsoftea said:

I love hearing this.

mrchup0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrchup0n
    @skrutop Man, I was pumped when the slim PS2 and the Wii were launched. So easy to transport. Now that my Lenovo 15" 5 lb laptop is relatively easy to cart around, I just carry two laptops.
    mrchup0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mrchup0n
    @skrutop I should clarify: the Lenovo is a gaming powerhouse or I wouldn't bother.
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By dichemstys

PS2 was a hell of a system.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Best console by volume and quality, though perhaps not by average quality (still there's more good games for it by nature of having the most games made for it)

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Snail

Nice story!

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By skrutop

@MrCHUP0N: Fortunately, I wasn't travelling anymore by the time that the PS2 Slim came out. My launch PS2 never failed on me, though it did have trouble playing the original blue DVDs towards the end.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.