The end of the Playstation 2?

#1 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

You guys better hurry up and grab what you can from your local Gamestop. I noticed that there were no more new titles for Playstation 2 games at all the Gamestops near me. This was when I was in search of the Jak & Daxter that was released for PSP and PS2. All I noticed there were used PS2 games. I know how this works. They stop carrying new titles. Then they stop buying used copies for the platform. A year later they stop selling the used copies all together. At this point I'm getting what I can get. So far I picked up Gran Turismo 4 and Champions of Norrath. 1 maybe 2 years down the line they will stop carrying used PS2 games.

#2 Edited by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

It's quite hard to find (good) PS2 titles any more so it's a good idea to grab what you can at this stage. Even though I have a chipped PS2 I'm still buying games for it since  that console has some great games that are still worth buying.

#3 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@eroticfishcake: Definitely agree with that. It was the same thing with the first Playstation. I didn't find very many good games for the PS1, but when the PS2 came out and a lot of people started selling their PS1 games, that's when I noticed all the games I've been missing out on.
#4 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

In my opinion, the PS2 died at least 2 years ago; it's just been a vegetable on life support since then.

#5 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

I just got my PS2 again after mine breaking, I get a lot of games from Play-Asia so it's no problem for me but my local EB games only has a few new PS2 games.

#6 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Oh yeah and I noticed Wal-Mart marked down all the PS2 games to $10-20.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

Really, the only things keeping the PS2 on life support at this point are EA's inexplicable desire to continue producing Madden for the platform and the dwindling number of PS2 ports of Wii titles.  The local stores I visit have very small selections of PS2 games left, and the "new" titles are mostly budget releases and trilogy bundles.
 
And it's kind of bizarre in a way, because I'll walk into Gamestop and see games on the used shelf that were big deals eight years ago that no one even talks about anymore.  It's like walking into the Land that Time Forgot.

#8 Posted by Turambar (6738 posts) -

Well, EA and the random niche rpgs that Atlus develops.

#9 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
@Turambar said:
" Well, EA and the random niche rpgs that Atlus develops. "
You're right. I just got another PS2 to play all the Persona and other SMT games I missed because I never really got into them when I had my original PS2. That and games like Silent Hill, TimeSplitters, etc.
#10 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

PS2 will forever, to me, be the greatest console of all time. The PS2 is dead, long live the PS2.
#11 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Oh no, what will we do without Gamestop? 
 

Oh wait the Internet.

#12 Posted by gla55jAw (2687 posts) -

I just counted 8 coming soon games on the gamestop website. Granted they were all sports and kiddie games. The gamestops by me still have a decent sized section of maybe 30 or 40 NEW ps2 games. I don't think they will stop carrying them anytime soon, especially since their ps2 section (at least the stores by me) are pretty big chunk of the store. If and when it happens though, I will be a sad boy.

#13 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" Oh no, what will we do without Gamestop? 
 

Oh wait the Internet.

"
I'm not the kind of person to shop on Amazon and eBay (except for Steam because of their crazy deals). I do like to go into Gamestop and pick up what used games people don't want anymore. I like the feeling of seeing a rare game on the shelf and having it in my hands. Yeah, they overcharge, but thats mostly on the newer titles. I see Gamestop as the savior for those older titles that I like to pay cash for. 
 
If you get a chance, read up on the post I put up about defending used games. We need places like Gamestop. Despite their pushing pre-orders and trade-ins.
#14 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5228 posts) -
@xaLieNxGrEyx said:
" PS2 will forever, to me, be the greatest console of all time. The PS2 is dead, long live the PS2. "
HIGH HO!!!!!
#15 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" @LordXavierBritish said:
" Oh no, what will we do without Gamestop? 
 

Oh wait the Internet.

"
I'm not the kind of person to shop on Amazon and eBay (except for Steam because of their crazy deals). I do like to go into Gamestop and pick up what used games people don't want anymore. I like the feeling of seeing a rare game on the shelf and having it in my hands. Yeah, they overcharge, but thats mostly on the newer titles. I see Gamestop as the savior for those older titles that I like to pay cash for. 
 
If you get a chance, read up on the post I put up about defending used games. We need places like Gamestop. Despite their pushing pre-orders and trade-ins. "
Gamestop is shit either way. If you want to buy used games that's fine, just don't do it there. If you really want to save older titles then go to smaller retailers that do the same thing but for a lot older games and a lot more reasonable prices. I picked up a copy of God Hand recently at a local outlet of mine for $10, GS would have probably sold it for $20 or more. Gamestop is killing off all these awesome businesses, and no matter how many PS2 games you or I buy they will eventually phase them out. GS is the anti-christ to old games.
#16 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

Before I go off to college to study hard, I played my PS2. 
 
<>
 
*raises fist in air*

#17 Posted by Ghil (229 posts) -

It may be gone, but never forgotten. Right along my dreamcast.

#18 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @LordXavierBritish said:
" Oh no, what will we do without Gamestop? 
 

Oh wait the Internet.

"
I'm not the kind of person to shop on Amazon and eBay (except for Steam because of their crazy deals). I do like to go into Gamestop and pick up what used games people don't want anymore. I like the feeling of seeing a rare game on the shelf and having it in my hands. Yeah, they overcharge, but thats mostly on the newer titles. I see Gamestop as the savior for those older titles that I like to pay cash for. 
 
If you get a chance, read up on the post I put up about defending used games. We need places like Gamestop. Despite their pushing pre-orders and trade-ins. "
Gamestop is shit either way. If you want to buy used games that's fine, just don't do it there. If you really want to save older titles then go to smaller retailers that do the same thing but for a lot older games and a lot more reasonable prices. I picked up a copy of God Hand recently at a local outlet of mine for $10, GS would have probably sold it for $20 or more. Gamestop is killing off all these awesome businesses, and no matter how many PS2 games you or I buy they will eventually phase them out. GS is the anti-christ to old games. "
I just saw God Hand at Gamestop going for $12.99 used. Yeah, a few dollars of a difference. There are a couple of of mom and pop game stores near me and I do shop there. It's the fact that Gamestop is everywhere and I found more rare titles there than I have the mom and pop shops near me. When I go to those shops, it's because I'm buying a Sega or PS1 title. When Gamestop phases out PS2 titles then I will be shopping at the local game stores for PS2 titles. Gamestop will then be the store for my used PS3 titles. I have a system here and it's working out very well. I find titles I want, mostly cheap, and without having to worry about shipping from the internet.
#19 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@ch13696: I picked up Bully and MUA for ten bucks each, great deal if you ask me
#20 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@ch13696: If you are worried about package quality then just go through Amazon. 
 
You can get vacuum sealed games at eBay prices on some older titles.
#21 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" @ch13696: If you are worried about package quality then just go through Amazon.  You can get vacuum sealed games at eBay prices on some older titles. "
It's not the quality of the games. It's mainly impatience and shipping prices. Also, it's the experience of finding a rare game in the store. I don't know how to exactly explain it. It just feels good.
#22 Posted by hexagonLife (6 posts) -

 @ch13696 said:
"It's not the quality of the games. It's mainly impatience and shipping prices. Also, it's the experience of finding a rare game in the store. I don't know how to exactly explain it. It just feels good. "
 
That's understandable.  But personally, I use eBay and Amazon because the range and prices tend to beat anywhere else.   Not always though - I ended up buying Persona 3 FES sealed from blahdvd.com because it was £11 with free shipping.
 
Anyway, back on topic.  I agree with @Ghil that the console will live as long as we play it.  I'll always play my PS2, best.  console.  ever.  In fact I've not even opened my copy of FES yet.

#23 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

WWE SVR 2011 is still coming to the ps2 and I'd put money on 2012 coming out for it also.

#24 Posted by Kiro (288 posts) -

I've been trying to track down a copy of Persona 3 for a while now, but no matter what store i go to they never have it. Guess I'll have to order it online.

#25 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

Well they have to stop supporting it soon. I'm just wondering how they will replace all of those PS2 games in stores.

#26 Posted by hexagonLife (6 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" WWE SVR 2011 is still coming to the ps2 and I'd put money on 2012 coming out for it also. "
That's a good point actually, I'm dyin to see if the PS2 version is going to get all the new features or just a partial update.  I've not actually played any of the games since 2007 anyway but the new weapon system looks decent.
#27 Posted by GalacticPunt (1042 posts) -

I'm calling it.  The PS2 platform died in March 2011.  
 
I was in a Target today and all of their slim Playstation 2's are on clearance for $70.  As one major retailer goes, the rest will quickly follow.  The 3DS is hitting this weekend, and PS2's are being liquidated to make room.
 
It's been an incredible run.  If you count the Japanese launch of the PS2 in 2000, it has been an Eleven Year Lifecycle.  That's a bit beyond what even Sony claimed would happen.  But the end is here.  Goodnight, sweet prince.

#28 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@habster3 said:
" In my opinion, the PS2 died at least 2 years ago; it's just been a vegetable on life support since then. "
In this market, yes. Japan has been making quite a few games (admittedly, VNs or top-down shooters if my recollection from my last Play-Asia visit is correct) for it still.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.