Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

The PS2 Reborn

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Edited By benspyda

<Blog Deleted>

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Is a discussion like this allowed on the site? It's somewhere near the line.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By benspyda

@Video_Game_King: Heard the staff talk about Dolphin before and there's no direct piracy involved but I have no idea. I apologise if it is.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Snail

@Video_Game_King said:

I just skimmed, but he doesn't mention ROMs anywhere does he? As far as I can tell emulators are perfectly legal and fine, illegal ROM downloads not so much.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HaltIamReptar

I get horrendous slow down with Persona 4, and no amount of jiggering with the settings will fix it. Alas.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By benspyda

@Snail said:

@Video_Game_King said:

I just skimmed, but he doesn't mention ROMs anywhere does he? As far as I can tell emulators are perfectly legal and fine, illegal ROM downloads not so much.

I'm just using games from my physical collection that I own.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Baillie

@benspyda: Oh shit, I used to use this a long time ago, and my computer could barely keep up. I wonder if there is an equivalent for a mac? I'd love to see my games is this quality, it'd also make capturing footage/images really awesome.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By benspyda

@Baillie: I think there is a mac version on the site.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Akyho

Ive tried such this last 6 months. Since I bought some pre owned ps2 games set things up on my PS2 and nope....I cant controll anything. Turns out my controller ports are broken....me taking apart the ps2 after did not help. So I tried running my Ps2 discs on my pc.

Its fine with certain games, however the games I was trying to play Godzilla: Save the earth, Godhand, Ring of Red and Zone of the Enders 2, are all games are would push the Framerate on the ps2 as is, let alone emulation.

So I will have to buy a ps2 when I can since I realy do want to play these games. Even if I have completed Ring of Red and ZOE 1 and 2.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By benspyda

@Akyho: Its a real resource hog for sure. I've got a quadcore i5 cpu and GTX 580 so they seem to run fine on my system but I havn't tried that many games yet. I'm sure I'll run into some hiccups but so far so good.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Sooty

@Akyho: You really need either a fast dual core or quad core to emulate games at full speed

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

Wait, so it automatically detects and correctly maps a 360 controller?

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pw2566ch

@Snail said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Running an emulator is not considered illegal. Having ROMs or downloaded ISOs is illegal. So you can run any emulator you want, you just can't have any licensed games running on them.

@benspyda: Dolphin is by far the best emulator I have ever used. If you're going to use that emulator then I highly suggest investing in a bluetooth dongle. You can use a mouse and keyboard for Wii games, but it's still much better to use a Wii remote. You should also purchase a wireless sensor bar.

And how does the games on PCSX2 run for you? Usually when I'm running a graphic heavy game like Dynasty Warriors or something that need to render a lot of objects, it just slows down. Maybe because I'm still running a dual-core processor.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toowalrus

I've messed around with it. I don't really care for it, the fact that the polygonal models and environments look so great, but the 2D character portraits and menu stuff looks so pixelated drives me insane.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By benspyda

@believer258 said:

Wait, so it automatically detects and correctly maps a 360 controller?

You have to map the buttons how you want them but it takes like 5 minutes. I think its called lilypad, its a plugin that comes with the install.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By ThunderSlash

I find that PS2 emulators (and to a lesser extent, PS1 emulators) are super finicky when it comes to certain types of games. I basically had to create plugin configurations that will work for each game, and it drives me nuts whenever I notice weird texture flickering or low resolution 2D images in an otherwise perfect emulation.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Klei

@Video_Game_King said:

What is this I don't even

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@pw2566ch: You can run games on it too, they just have to be your copy of the game. Fair use, yadda yadda. It's not illegal to say, use your Wii to rip your copy of Skyward Sword to a flash stick and then emulate the game on your PC.

@HaltIamReptar said:

I get horrendous slow down with Persona 4, and no amount of jiggering with the settings will fix it. Alas.

Everyone I know who's tried to emulate it has had horrible luck with that game in particular. I've been meaning to try that and a couple other PS2 games I have now that I have my super bad ass PC, but I have yet to get around to finding the discs.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By benspyda
    No Caption Provided

A screen grab from Resident evil 4 for those interested.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pw2566ch

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@pw2566ch: You can run games on it too, they just have to be your copy of the game. Fair use, yadda yadda. It's not illegal to say, use your Wii to rip your copy of Skyward Sword to a flash stick and then emulate the game on your PC.

You don't even need to rip the game. Dolphin can run the game from the PC DVD drive.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Hizang

Buy a PS2..

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Giefcookie

I moved recently and unearthed some PS2 treasures. Like you I picked up PSX2 and started fiddling with it. Getting a solid 60 fps in games with 6x original resolution is great. I'd actually suggest making ISOs from your games instead of just running them off the disc. Ripping PS2 games is pretty easy and it speeds up the emulation process even more.

Having to fiddle with the settings on a per game basis isn't that bad considering the boost in frame rate and graphical quality. So far the glitchiest game I've had has been Tales of the Abyss with weird layering issues. Sometimes it just decides to move a part of the screen ever so slightly to the left giving you a trippy ghosting effect. Its a side effect of running the game at a higher resolution than native but gameplay wise its a non issue so you just deal with it.

Played 4 hours of Odin Sphere and the music is so good. I've also got FFXII and some other JRPG goodness lined up after Tales.

I doubt I'll touch P4 though, it will still remain my favourite game of all time that I've never played.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince

@pw2566ch said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

You don't even need to rip the game. Dolphin can run the game from the PC DVD drive.

Not really. Unless you have a very specific DVD drive in your PC they won't be able to read WII games straight off the disc in Dolphin. MOst modern DVD drives can't read Wii discs properly.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Sony need to release another PS3 model BC with PS2 before the PS4 comes out.

Or have the PS4 Fully BC.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By PixelPrinny

@LiquidPrince said:

@pw2566ch said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Not really. Unless you have a very specific DVD drive in your PC they won't be able to read WII games straight off the disc in Dolphin. MOst modern DVD drives can't read Wii discs properly.

I can attest to this. I tried playing my copies of Last Story and Xenoblade on Dolphin for the better AA and resolutions than the Wii has and it was a no go cause my DVD drive was like "Pfft Wii discs? What are those?" :(

However, PCSX2 is running my copy of Dark Cloud 2 just great, looks all crisp and purty; better than it does natively on the PS2. And the best part about it is save states. Delicious save states. Mmmmm.... Oh and turbo mode. I wish all RPGs had a turbo mode feature to alleviate some of the grinding. That'd be so nice.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pw2566ch

@PixelPrinny said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@pw2566ch said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

I can attest to this. I tried playing my copies of Last Story and Xenoblade on Dolphin for the better AA and resolutions than the Wii has and it was a no go cause my DVD drive was like "Pfft Wii discs? What are those?" :(

However, PCSX2 is running my copy of Dark Cloud 2 just great, looks all crisp and purty; better than it does natively on the PS2. And the best part about it is save states. Delicious save states. Mmmmm.... Oh and turbo mode. I wish all RPGs had a turbo mode feature to alleviate some of the grinding. That'd be so nice.

I guess I got lucky with my DVD drive. Weird. Or maybe I'm thinking of PCSX2 that can run straight from the DVD. It's been awhile since I've played them. So I can't remember.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Sooty

@Hizang said:

Buy a PS2..

Yeah, spend money for an inferior experience, good one Hizang!

I bought a PS2 because Persona 4 at the time had horrendous emulation issues which all seem to be fixed now, I would not have done it otherwise because that game looks so much better on an emulator, but what do I care...I have Golden now.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Weird I'm doing that exact same thing this weekend. I dug out my copy of Final Fantasy X, and am also having fun throwing in whatever PS2 disc I find just to see what it looks like all cranked up.  

Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando looks fantastic, unfortunately it just didn't want to run well. Fatal Frame 2 and Haunting Ground work and look amazing, so super excited to go through those again at some point.  

FFX has been the most flawless so far, so back to that for another 10 hours today. GODDAMN I LOVE HOLIDAY PAY!

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oraknabo

Even though my PS2 still works, I emulate PS2 and PSX on my PC with a wired 360 controller. I have a pretty large collection of games for those systems so I don't have any need to use it for roms, except when I want to try some rare or Japanese game just to see what it's like.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ducksworth

What a coincidence, I've been looking into builds for that purpose as well. My PS2 died a little while ago and before I got a new one, I got a 50" HDTV without thinking about what I'm going to do for PS2 games. PS2 came in, set it up, and then immediately turned it off because it looked so bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.