Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

The PS2: The Most Interesting Console Today!

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Nine years after its release the PS2 remains without a doubt the most interesting console on the market today.  It’s not the most powerful and most of the high profile big budget franchises have moved on.  However, if you look closely you’ll see that since it’s so cheap to develop for that small unique companies are making games that otherwise may have never seen the light.  I can’t defend the quality of many of these games but there will always be an audience for something different.  If a game developer wants to lure non gamers, the PS2 is where you do it.

You can look at games like Biathlon 2008 or Secret Saturdays: Beast of the 5Sun and see that the PS2 is still releasing wide range of different games.  I realize almost no one is interested in those but it’s nice to see that extremely niche games have a place where they can find a home.  Someone somewhere really wants to go cross country skiing and shoot from their living room and now they have their chance.  Biathlon 2008 even has some competition.  Ski and Shoot was released earlier this year.  Now there are two versions of the same boring sport available to you.

The PS2 is the place to go if you’re into jrpg’s.  Persona 4 came out last holiday season and is the best recent example of a turn based rpg.  At the rate publishers are still putting out jrpg’s, soon the PS2 will be the very best place for you to fight orcs and griffons with your mages, knights and thieves in the history of gaming.

While you won’t find the Metal Gear Solid’s or the God of War’s landing on the PS2 shelves at your local Gamestop anymore, you’re still able to find your Guitar Hero’s and your Madden football.  In a time where people are trying to crack the casual mainstream audience,  the answer has been right under their noses for the last decade.  People aren’t just interested in shooting aliens.  Some people want to try out virtual bull riding in their house.  Now they have a place to find it.

So I’m not going to try to convince that the XBOX360, PS3, and the Wii aren’t getting the best games being released at this point.  They are(maybe not the Wii).  What I am trying to tell you is that, if you want to see something different from a game.  If you want to play a game just because it looks really stupid and cheap, because those can still be fun.  Go with the PS2. 

If you're interested in more of my writing I keep a personal gaming blog http://johndaniellewis.wordpress.com/.  If you're not interested don't go to it.  Thanks.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Nine years after its release the PS2 remains without a doubt the most interesting console on the market today.  It’s not the most powerful and most of the high profile big budget franchises have moved on.  However, if you look closely you’ll see that since it’s so cheap to develop for that small unique companies are making games that otherwise may have never seen the light.  I can’t defend the quality of many of these games but there will always be an audience for something different.  If a game developer wants to lure non gamers, the PS2 is where you do it.

You can look at games like Biathlon 2008 or Secret Saturdays: Beast of the 5Sun and see that the PS2 is still releasing wide range of different games.  I realize almost no one is interested in those but it’s nice to see that extremely niche games have a place where they can find a home.  Someone somewhere really wants to go cross country skiing and shoot from their living room and now they have their chance.  Biathlon 2008 even has some competition.  Ski and Shoot was released earlier this year.  Now there are two versions of the same boring sport available to you.

The PS2 is the place to go if you’re into jrpg’s.  Persona 4 came out last holiday season and is the best recent example of a turn based rpg.  At the rate publishers are still putting out jrpg’s, soon the PS2 will be the very best place for you to fight orcs and griffons with your mages, knights and thieves in the history of gaming.

While you won’t find the Metal Gear Solid’s or the God of War’s landing on the PS2 shelves at your local Gamestop anymore, you’re still able to find your Guitar Hero’s and your Madden football.  In a time where people are trying to crack the casual mainstream audience,  the answer has been right under their noses for the last decade.  People aren’t just interested in shooting aliens.  Some people want to try out virtual bull riding in their house.  Now they have a place to find it.

So I’m not going to try to convince that the XBOX360, PS3, and the Wii aren’t getting the best games being released at this point.  They are(maybe not the Wii).  What I am trying to tell you is that, if you want to see something different from a game.  If you want to play a game just because it looks really stupid and cheap, because those can still be fun.  Go with the PS2. 

If you're interested in more of my writing I keep a personal gaming blog http://johndaniellewis.wordpress.com/.  If you're not interested don't go to it.  Thanks.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

There are still JRPG's on the PS2 that I missed and want to play. I'm currently playing P4, and after I finish I'm going to fire up Final Fantasy XII.

Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Kazu666

Did i read this wrong, or did you just tell me virtual bull riding and sports games on PS2 were more interesting than most next-gen games? :| 

I also hated Persona 4, Lost Odyssey all the way :P

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
    @Kazu666 said:
    "Did i read this wrong, or did you just tell me virtual bull riding and sports games on PS2 were more interesting than most next-gen games? :|  I also hated Persona 4, Lost Odyssey all the way :P"

It's not that they're more interesting or even better it's that I think it's great that games like this are being made and released  on a major platform.  I don't have any desire whatsoever to ride bulls virtual or otherwise.
    sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By sarge1445
    @Kazu666 said:
    " Did i read this wrong, or did you just tell me virtual bull riding and sports games on PS2 were more interesting than most next-gen games? :|  I also hated Persona 4, Lost Odyssey all the way :P "
    Ok well you hating P4 voids anything you have to say fox and funky student will punish you
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

If those games were on the WIi they'd be called out as yet more casual shovelware... On the PS2 they're new and interesting offerings?

Give me a break...

At least this is basically accepting the fact the PS2 has been as prone to shovelware as the Wii, and the only difference is that those games simply don't get any media attention because people don't feel like trash talking what is arguably a worthy system...

As for companies that want to try cheap new things, they do it just as well on PC downloads, XBLA, WIiWare and PSN...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.