Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

160 gig backwards compatable?

themaster408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By themaster408

I still haven't bought a PS3 and won't for at least a few months (probably early early 09).  I know I've missed the completely backwards compatible systems, but at least the software emulation PS2 ones are still around...right?  So the 80 gig is gonna lose any backwards compatibility?  Will the 160 have software emulation?  Will any?  Is buying an old 20 or 60 gig model off of ebay or craigslist my only options?

I wouldn't mind terribly losing PS1 games, there's only 1 I ever play "Top Shop" one of the best party games ever.  But yeah, not ready to lose all PS2 games just yet...

oh, part of the point of this is that to afford a PS3, I'd have to try to sell my PS2, so I want to still play PS2 games if I can.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

From what I've read, the software emulation is for PS1 games, not PS2.  You should check here:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

I've never owned a PS1, 2, or 3, so I feel fortunate in not having to worry about my old game
    collection working on a new system.

Go 360! :P

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By AndrewGaspar

All PS3s are backwards compatible with PSone games. However, only the 20, 60, and original 80 GB are backwards compatible with PS2 games. 160 will not have BC. Sorry dude.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

rumors go that they will be adding bc to all ps3s later on with a system update...
    but its just a rumor :(

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By WickedCobra03
    Solid_SnakeXx said:
    "rumors go that they will be adding bc to all ps3s later on with a system update...
    but its just a rumor :("
     I am so not sure why they didn't just include it.  Its not like gamers are sticking to a PS2 only library when picking up a PS3 so its not like Sony is losing out on anything and if software was good for up to what was it; an 85 percent perfect backup rate then whats the big deal about keeping it in, its not like its really costing them a ton more money!
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By chililili
    WickedCobra03 said:
    "Solid_SnakeXx said:
    "rumors go that they will be adding bc to all ps3s later on with a system update...
    but its just a rumor :("
     I am so not sure why they didn't just include it.  Its not like gamers are sticking to a PS2 only library when picking up a PS3 so its not like Sony is losing out on anything and if software was good for up to what was it; an 85 percent perfect backup rate then whats the big deal about keeping it in, its not like its really costing them a ton more money!"
    Its very hard and expensive to create such an emulatign software. To aswer no you aren't getting BC, save up a little more and keep your ps2, then buy your ps3, neway if your gonna buy it in 2009 there might be aprice cut.
    themaster408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By themaster408

yeah, i might just save that ps2.  thank you guys.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By lebkin
    WickedCobra03 said:
    "Solid_SnakeXx said:
     I am so not sure why they didn't just include it.  Its not like gamers are sticking to a PS2 only library when picking up a PS3 so its not like Sony is losing out on anything and if software was good for up to what was it; an 85 percent perfect backup rate then whats the big deal about keeping it in, its not like its really costing them a ton more money!"
    "Emulate" on the Playstation 3 for PS2 games originally was not really emulation at all. There was a PS2 CPU and GPU inside the launch PS3 so that it would play PS2 games perfectly.  The price of those components were part of the reason the PS3 was so expensive at launch.  When they launched the 80GB unit, only the PS2 GPU was used, allowing Sony to reduce prices.  Unfortunately, software emulation of the CPU wasn't perfect, thus only limited backwards compatibility.  Now all new PS3 have no PS2 parts inside, in order to further reduce costs.  Because of this, there is no backwards compatibility in these units.    More info can be found here

That article is from October 2007, and Sony stated that they were not going to offer software emulation as DLC.  Which makes sense, becaues Sony would have to start from scratch to make emulation software that works without any PS2 parts.  I would not expect that position to change.  So if you want full backwards compatibility, go look on Craiglist or eBay.  Good luck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.