30 frames per second...REALLY?

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Megalibra (19 posts) -

How come no one complain about the fact that most of PS3 and XbOx 360 games run on 30FPS....HOW the fuck you don't complain about that.

I just bought a PS3 and now I have buyer remorse, how the hell a whole industry is based on a 30 Frame per second games. You may say I deserve it ,cause i didn't do my research but I did not expect it to be that bad, to have 90 percent of the games run on shitty 30 frame per second.

HOW COME NO ONE COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!. at least mention in the fucking review the number of the frames per second that the game perform.

FUCK THAT, I play on PC most games are not fucking optimized and run with shitty frames because it mostly a console port.I FUCKING PLAY CONOSLES they all have games with the shitty 30 fps.

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON don't you guys know the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps is like night and day ....FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

#2 Posted by Garfield518 (404 posts) -

Because most people aren't whiny little bitches about things they can't change.

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@Garfield518

#4 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

If you read this post with a very exaggerated Asian accent, it's actually pretty great.

#5 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

You're 5 years late pal 

Also Platinum games do 60 FPS. Because they're good devs like that.

#6 Edited by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -
#7 Posted by Demoskinos (14839 posts) -

You are the worst. Please go away.

#8 Posted by Marz (5653 posts) -

chill, you won't make alot of friends if you are cursing at other people.

#9 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

You're meant to be a joke, right?

#10 Posted by Wikitoups (823 posts) -

Sorry I can't tell between 30 and 60fps on my tv or hey maybe I don't really give one.

#11 Posted by Daiphyer (1337 posts) -

@TheKramer89 said:

If you read this post with a very exaggerated Asian accent, it's actually pretty great.

I read it with an angry Italian accent, it was even better.

#12 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Waaaaa Videogames!

#13 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

........this is stupid.  why did i even click on this thread........

#14 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

@Garfield518 said:

#15 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -

I can tell the difference and 60 frames is kind of weird when I see it.  It's actually too smooth and its kind of jarring.

#16 Posted by Zleunamme (666 posts) -
#17 Posted by ShaggE (6457 posts) -

Oh god... Youtube commenters are finding their way onto other websites. Somebody quarantine this guy and run a standardized IQ test, stat! The stupidity levels are reaching critical mass!

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Because I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 anyway?

#19 Posted by Ben_H (3361 posts) -

I flagged this thread. I feel like this is a troll but I can't be sure. So I'll let the mods decide. For certain, however, we don't need garbage threads like this.

#20 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

Somebody's panties are twisted up too tight.

#21 Posted by Megalibra (19 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: are you serious....you can't tell the difference, you should stop playing NES games and join the modern games. if there is no difference why hell games like GOD OF WAR 3 and CYRSIS 2 run on 60 fps and they used that as a selling point.

or maybe you are just blind to see such a HUGE difference.

#22 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

If you can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS something is really wrong with your brain. It's a night and day difference. I have to assume people saying this have little experience with any games that run at 60 FPS because even I noticed the difference immediately before I was educated on what causes it.

I prefer everything in 60 but I won't kick and scream if games run at 30, but I will get annoyed if games run like ass like GTA IV did on console. Or how about the first Mass Effect on 360? That game spends more time at 20 FPS than it does at 30.

Also Unreal Engine doesn't like 30 FPS on PC, the games feel sluggish as hell for some reason. Not really sure why, first noticed it with Unreal Tournament 3 and later BioShock.

#23 Posted by mrpandaman (866 posts) -

As long as the framerate is locked or consistent most people don't really care.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKL!?!?!?!

Developers now should just make their games run at 59FPS, I want to see this guy flip his shit over that one frame.

#24 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Megalibra said:

@Video_Game_King: are you serious....you can't tell the difference, you should stop playing NES games and join the modern games. if there is no difference why hell games like GOD OF WAR 3 and CYRSIS 2 run on 60 fps and they used that as a selling point.

or maybe you are just blind to see such a HUGE difference.

This guy just PMed me the same thing, trying to get a rise out of me, probably becasuse I was the only one who responed to him like it was an actual thread. Heres what he wrote me.

@Dagbiker: OH YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOO WRONG dude check you facts the difference between 30 and 60 frames is very noticeable to the eyes. You can test it yourself...there is no reason for a game like GOD OF WAR 3 or RAGE to run on 60 fps if it doesn't matter.

This is what I wrote him.

Well unless you can provide me with proof to the contrary, all I have is the Scientific proof I provided, and my own personal experience.
#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Dagbiker:

I'm mostly just confused. Does he read my blog, or was he really lucky?

#26 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Dagbiker: http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

What are you seriously trying to say you can't see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS? Really? I can't tell if you are trolling or not.

You're getting me with that slippery the human eye can't but the brain can line, aren't you?

#27 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Dagbiker:

I'm mostly just confused. Does he read my blog, or was he really lucky?

I have no clue.

#28 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

You are the worst.

#29 Posted by Sackmanjones (4706 posts) -
#30 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

@Megalibra: Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

#31 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

There's a huge difference between 30fps and 60. I do hope the next-gen consoles put a bit more focus on having games run smoothly, rather than pushing better looking graphics. Particularly when it comes to racing games.

But most of the time it really just doesn't matter and people don't seem to care much. I don't think you need to be making this much of a fuss about it.

#32 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I find Rage to be a masterpiece. I know sixty frames certainly has something to do with that.

#33 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

I find it way more funny that there are people in here claiming they can't tell the difference or that the human eye can't tell the difference.

#34 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
#35 Posted by Jimbo (9814 posts) -

@Sooty said:

If you can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS something is really wrong with your brain. It's a night and day difference.

Yep.

#36 Posted by Megalibra (19 posts) -

@Napalm said:

I find Rage to be a masterpiece. I know sixty frames certainly has something to do with that.

some one at least knows what am talking about.

#37 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Megalibra said:

@Napalm said:

Not really. You're still crazy and dumb.

#38 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Megalibra said:

@Napalm said:

#39 Posted by Sackmanjones (4706 posts) -
@CL60 said:
Good God, this picture is amazing. I'm stealing it.
#40 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Sooty said:

What are you seriously trying to say you can't see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS? Really? I can't tell if you are trolling or not.

You're getting me with that slippery the human eye can't but the brain can line, aren't you?

I stared at that for about 10 minuets, and I cant tell. I can tell the difference between the 15fps. But not the 30 and the 60.

#41 Posted by GnomeonFire (745 posts) -

@Turambar said:

I can tell the difference and 60 frames is kind of weird when I see it. It's actually too smooth and its kind of jarring.
#42 Posted by heat (190 posts) -

People that can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 are Broken Human Beings.

#43 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

I don't really care. I can notice it in a CoD game if I'm looking for it, but it's not something that matters to me at all. As long as the is a constant motion to the animations without stuttering, it doesn't matter whether it's 30 or 60. I focu on playing the game, not nitpicking technical details

#44 Posted by Megalibra (19 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Megalibra said:

@Napalm said:

wow good job keep focusing on the person NOT the issue, I love how people take every issue personally and not aiming on the real goal.

keep it up

#45 Posted by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

1. There's a notable difference between 30 and 60 fps.

2. It's not like 30 fps are unplayable. You get used to it quickly and it's still pretty smooth, just not AS smooth.

3. Rage is boring as hell, who cares if it runs with 60 fps?

4. OP is dumb.

#46 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

films look strange in anything other than 24 fps.. why is more frames heralded as a godsend to video games?

not rhetorical, i'm honestly curious. i have very little experience playing in 60 fps.

#47 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Sooty said:

I stared at that for about 10 minuets, and I cant tell. I can tell the difference between the 15fps. But not the 30 and the 60.

Either I'm being trolled or you legitimately have a neurological problem.

@killacam said:

films look strange in anything other than 24 fps.. why is more frames heralded as a godsend to video games?

not rhetorical, i'm honestly curious. i have very little experience playing in 60 fps.

Films and games are different - http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/we1ye/why_do_games_aim_for_60_fps_but_movies_are_only/

TLDR - "Games aim for 60 FPS due to the 60 Hz standard refresh rate of NTSC monitors. Once games dip below 30 FPS (every other refresh frame), the steps between frames start to become noticeable as they don't blur together like a projected film would."

30 vs 60 FPS is a big difference in smoothness, anything after becomes harder to discern, but is still possible to a degree.

#48 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@TheKramer89 said:

Equally amusing in Mario's voice.

#49 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Sooty said:

Either I'm being trolled or you legitimately have a neurological problem.

It couldn't be that our brains are just different.

#50 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

3. Rage is boring as hell, who cares if it runs with 60 fps?

Fuck you, no it's not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.