Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

720p on 1440 x 900 monitor?

BothBarsOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BothBarsOn

Hi all,

I've got my PS3 hooked up to a Samsung 19" monitor (not ideal, I know, but it's all I've got at the moment) using a HDMI/DVI adaptor. The native resolution of the monitor is 1440 x 900 and 720p is 1280 x 720, I believe. Can anyone explain why the PS3 image still doesn't "fit"? It's as if it's slightly too big for the monitor, losing pixels at the right and left ...

No big deal, just curious!

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PureRok

Perhaps you have to set your monitor to the same resolution as the PS3 is expecting?

BothBarsOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BothBarsOn

Thanks for the reply, PureRok. I don't think the monitor resolution *can* be set - it's 1440 x 900, The End.

Just seems odd that it won't display the entirety of an image that's smaller than that!

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Demilich
    BothBarsOn said:
    "Hi all,

I've got my PS3 hooked up to a Samsung 19" monitor (not ideal, I know, but it's all I've got at the moment) using a HDMI/DVI adaptor. The native resolution of the monitor is 1440 x 900 and 720p is 1280 x 720, I believe. Can anyone explain why the PS3 image still doesn't "fit"? It's as if it's slightly too big for the monitor, losing pixels at the right and left ...

No big deal, just curious!
    "
     If my memory is right, 720p is 16:10 AR, whereas 1440x900 is 16:9. The image is stretched to fit the vertical, so the horizontal is cut off. Some games let you readjust the image size, but for those that don't you just have to deal. I'm the same boat. Fortunately I've never played a game where anything important is cut off.
    BothBarsOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BothBarsOn

Ah! That makes sense. I can sleep soundly again. Thanks, all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.