would it be affected in anyway by magnets the reason i ask is because i was talking to my friend about the metalica limited edition of there album "death magnetic" and its in the shape of a coffin and i asked him if it was also magnetic and then said " if it was it would mess up ure tv cd player and lets not mention ure ps3" and that peaked my curiosity would it be effected by magnets my gess is it would wipe the hard drive or something bad of that nature i want to know but i wouldn't dare actually try it and was wondering if any one here has any idea?
a stupid question about the ps3
The magnet would have to be really powerful to be able to wipe the hard drive. That's actually a pc myth. The only magnets strong enough to do that are not available to the average consumer. As for the blu-ray drive (cd player etc) in the Ps3 I'm not entirely sure. The way cd players operate they don't use magnets to transmit the data signal for the disk through the laser when the drive changes the data to 0s and 1s. They use reflection I *think*, anybody else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
CRT's are the only tvs and monitors that can get affected by magnets because the cathode in the back that emits the phosphorus RGB colours can get the field distorted by a nearby magnet. Although flat panel tv's can still 'technically' get affected by a magnet its nowhere near the same way, and like that has already been mentioned a few times the magnet would have to be extremely powerful to change it. The liquid crystal in LCD tvs respond very readily to electro magnetic fields but that's only to turn them on/off. They don't permanently affect the image.
when it comes to messing up your TV with magnets, just turn it off and then on. The TV should degauss and problem solved.. You know that PONG sound some tv's make when you turn them on? That's called degaussing and it removes discoloring caused by magnetic interference on the screen.
I think..... ^_^
"when it comes to messing up your TV with magnets, just turn it off and then on. The TV should degauss and problem solved.. You know that PONG sound some tv's make when you turn them on? That's called degaussing and it removes discoloring caused by magnetic interference on the screen.thats pretty old style tv's for a start and it relly isn't a reccomended thing to do as it can permanently fuck with your tv's and other electronic equipment... just don't do it!
I think..... ^_^
This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.
Comment and Save
Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.