announcement aftermath: changing your info?

#1 Posted by goodlucktj (63 posts) -
so my gf works in the credit card division for wells fargo. they are flooded with calls today from customers requesting new credit/debit cards, and almost all of them are mentioning sony's breach of security as the reason.

i wasn't that worried about my debit card information being scammed, especially since i have fraud protection, but i'm beginning to feel like i'm being completely careless here.

those who have psn accounts (don't bother answering if you don't), have you called your creditor to change your information yet? do you plan to?

#2 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1175 posts) -

I have my CC on PSN. Not worried. I have fraud prevention too. Your CC is just at much at risk if you go to a restaurant and use it to pay for dinner. The amount of peoples cards that get scammed by wait staff is crazy. I know of 2 ppl it happened to in the last 3 years (different restaurants just o be clear :) ). I think we'd all freak out if we really knew how much of our info is mishandled by companies every day. If something happenes ill deal with it. I don't use my Debit card for thing like this for just that reason but CC has security measures. Beside we dont even know IF CC info has been taken and as for my Name and Address, im in the phone book.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Twisted_Scot said:
" I have my CC on PSN. Not worried. I have fraud prevention too. Your CC is just at much at risk if you go to a restaurant and use it to pay for dinner. The amount of peoples cards that get scammed by wait staff is crazy. I know of 2 ppl it happened to in the last 3 years (different restaurants just o be clear :) ). I think we'd all freak out if we really knew how much of our info is mishandled by companies every day. If something happenes ill deal with it. I don't use my Debit card for thing like this for just that reason but CC has security measures. Beside we dont even know IF CC info has been taken and as for my Name and Address, im in the phone book. "
Is it that thing when you do not fill in the little amounts and they give them selves like 20 dollar tips? 
#4 Posted by Random88 (284 posts) -

I stopped by my bank on the way home from college.  Told them I wanted to cancel my debit card and get a replacement.  I told the bank assistant about the PS3 situation and she agreed that it would be wise to do that.  She checked my recent transactions luckily it was the money I withdrew earlier in the week for bus fare and my Mortal Kombat purchase.  She said to keep an eye on my transactions and if anything goes wrong to get in touch.

#5 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1175 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: Nope. Full-on stole your credit card number and bough shit. My cousin last year went to a fairly expensive restaurant. A week or so later she had been billed for someones football tickets, vacation and something else I cant remember. Bank checked it out and it turned out to be wait staff had collected lots of card numbers. Ive also heard it happen at supermarkets although I dont know anyone that's happened too.
#6 Edited by Karkarov (2980 posts) -
@goodlucktj:
Yeap I changed mine.  I also used to work for a bank so I am very well aware how this stuff happens regardless and how easily you can be scammed at a restaurant or a store.  Here is the thing though.  Think about it like getting out of bed in the morning.  You know you might trip when you do it but you are gonna get up anyway so you just make sure to be careful.  This is kinda like getting out of bed and there is a bear trap sitting on the floor.  You know it is there but now it is even more dangerous to get up out of bed.  So why leave it there?  Isn't it smarter to be extra careful, get up once, then disarm and remove the trap so tomorrow it is a non issue?

Or like wise man once said... "Better safe than sorry."

PS: The only people I have ever heard of who got the tip scam Laughing mentions are people who treat their waiters like dicks and never tipped.  Take that under advisement.
#7 Posted by Raulito (46 posts) -

Just canceled my card, just to be safe than sorry and i am really hesitant to ever buy anything on that service in the future.

#8 Edited by KarlPilkington (2683 posts) -
#9 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

I am indeed planning on replacing my debit card. I'm not in any real danger now, the card itself has no money on it. But I don't like the idea of the number being out there. Also, I'll probably stick to downloading PSN cards off of Amazon from this point on.

#10 Posted by Positrark (316 posts) -

Nope. The banks in Norway are not recommending it, Sony hasn't even confirmed any actual credit card leak, just the possibility, and the banks are also saying that you will be covered if something happens anyway. Cancelling your card seems a little bit panicky.

#11 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -
@Twisted_Scot said:
" I have my CC on PSN. Not worried. I have fraud prevention too. Your CC is just at much at risk if you go to a restaurant and use it to pay for dinner. The amount of peoples cards that get scammed by wait staff is crazy. I know of 2 ppl it happened to in the last 3 years (different restaurants just o be clear :) ). I think we'd all freak out if we really knew how much of our info is mishandled by companies every day. If something happenes ill deal with it. I don't use my Debit card for thing like this for just that reason but CC has security measures. Beside we dont even know IF CC info has been taken and as for my Name and Address, im in the phone book. "
I don't understand how just because it's just as easy to get scammed at a restaurant makes anyone feel any safer, or is supposed to make people not worry.  Last year we had my husband's card scammed at a restaurant (and @Karkarov: that isn't true, because we always tip well, and had tipped especially well that night), and it was a brand new card (within a few months anyway) just after our bank had issued everyone new cards because some merchants had been hacked.  Fraud protection doesn't mean you fucking keep your card and let people run around using it while you deal with the hassle (because it IS a hassle, even with fraud protection).

I don't plan on replacing my card, but I don't think that I ever actually entered my card info into the PSN.  I'm not sure if my husband ever has, but at the first sign of anything untoward, we'll replace it.
#12 Posted by JacDG (2113 posts) -
@Raulito said:
" Just canceled my card, just to be safe than sorry and i am really hesitant to ever buy anything on that service in the future. "
Did the same thing, really sucks, but hey, could be worse.
#13 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

I normally just use PSN cards and when I do use my card I delete it after use.

#14 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

Nope. My card attached to my PSN was expired.

#15 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1175 posts) -
@melcene: Its not supposed to make you feel any safer. The point is that just because this has happened (or may have happened) on the scale that it has doesn't mean everyone is going to wake up to luxury yachts on their CC bill. I was saying that owning and using a CC can have the same risk whether you use it online or doing something as simple as ordering a burger in a bar or buying gas. Its more to try and stop people blowing things out of proportion and freaking out over something that may not have even happened.
#16 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

I guess I'll call and cancel it sometime today.  No point taking chances.

#17 Edited by PixieNinja (172 posts) -

Credit card on my PSN account has expired now, as I rarely have to put anything into my online wallet.

If you're concerned, look into having a new card issued - so long as it's a relatively quick process and you won't go cold turkey without it for a week or two, get in touch with your bank to give yourself some piece of mind.

I'd never really worried until I got hit by online fraud a few years ago - they bought A FUCKING CAR with my card, and the idiotic retailer let them provide card details over the phone. Despite being covered for this sort of thing, it's still an unpleasant experience. Now I have fraud protection to go along with the usual protection a credit card offers - should the PSN hackers manage to do anything with the information that was at risk, it's an extra safety net. My fraud protection service actually got in touch today asking if myself or any of my family had a PSN account.

#18 Posted by DBrim (124 posts) -

I canceled the credit card that was associated with the PSN account.  It only has a $500 limit, but I don't have a lot of money right now, so if any is stolen, it's really inconvenient.  I dealt with a stolen card before and it sucked, even though I eventually got the money back.

#19 Posted by Karkarov (2980 posts) -
@melcene:
They did the tip scam to you after you gave them a good tip?  Then you just ran into a straight asshole, not much you can do about it but fortunately it is rare.  Hopefully you never get burned like that again and the guy lost his job/got lots of legal troubles for his kindly service.
#20 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -
@Karkarov: Yeah  :(  We were out for a birthday and the waiter was awesome, so we thought, so he ended up with about 30% off us.  I can't say for sure that the waiter was the one who snagged the info though.  Whoever did it bought really expensive makeup online and tried to get a year's subscription to Match.com.    O.o
#21 Posted by lebkin (330 posts) -
@Karkarov said: 
" @goodlucktj: Yeap I changed mine.  I also used to work for a bank so I am very well aware how this stuff happens regardless and how easily you can be scammed at a restaurant or a store.  Here is the thing though.  Think about it like getting out of bed in the morning.  You know you might trip when you do it but you are gonna get up anyway so you just make sure to be careful.  This is kinda like getting out of bed and there is a bear trap sitting on the floor.  You know it is there but now it is even more dangerous to get up out of bed.  So why leave it there?  Isn't it smarter to be extra careful, get up once, then disarm and remove the trap so tomorrow it is a non issue?Or like wise man once said... "Better safe than sorry.
At the very least, let your bank know that something is up. Put them on the look out for any problems that might come up. Better to have two sets of eyes on your account than just yours.
#22 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

no,  i didn't cancel my debt card. i guess i should tell my parents to get this sorted out.

#23 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

Yup. Reported my credit and debit cards as stolen (because you can't check which one is in their database while their stuff is down) and I will change the password as soon as I can.

#24 Posted by ConstantRa1n (293 posts) -

Fraud protection has my back :)

#25 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -

Yeah I'm not that worried. With no evidence that my credit card is out there I don't see anything to worry about. Just kind of keeping an eye on the statements. I understand why people are canceling out their cards but it is kind of a little overkill. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.