Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Any reason not to get a PS3 over a 360/Wii?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By turboman

I would never see the point. I'm not really trying to troll, but GC just proves once again why PS3 is the most awesome console this generation.

I would never want to recommend getting a Wii over the PS3. Maybe if your a 12 year old girl who watches Hannah Montana and only wants to play Wii Sports, but there's no point in owing a Wii anymore, since Nintendo doesn't support games anymore, just really safe family games. Sony just announced Eyetoy Pets, which yes, is a complete ripoff of Nintendogs, but it's something that looks really cool for kids. Plus they have LittleBigPlanet, which is for anyone and they always have Ratchet/Jak/Sly to fall back on.

I can definantly see someone getting a 360, but I guess it's just a preference on the first party software that Sony offers over Microsoft. Heavenly Rain looks like it could be a really cool story driven game, and they have an AMAZING next two years of first party games(who knows after that)

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Coltonio7

MGS4.....'nuff said. And some other games I guess...

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Riddler

no. 360/wii is more than enough.

Renegade_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Renegade_v2

if you like the MGS franchise, you should get one.

if not, stick to the 360/wii

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

I agree with the Nintendo part i had a wii for like 2 months and i end selling it, didnt like it one bit.
    And for the 360, well the failure rate scares me, and it feels cheap compared to the ps3

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see your point, but trust me this is flame bait, and fanboy bait. It won't go good.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By roofy

it all depends on your preferences.
    only stupid sheep follow what people on the internet tell them to.

seriously, people need to start thinking for themselves for a change

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Riddler
    Sentry said:
    "I see your point, but trust me this is flame bait, and fanboy bait. It won't go good."

hey, TC look you lured the biggest troll on the board in your thread, nice. your flame bait worked
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Riddler said:
    "Sentry said:
    "I see your point, but trust me this is flame bait, and fanboy bait. It won't go good."

hey, TC look you lured the biggest troll on the board in your thread, nice. your flame bait worked"
    Excuse me? What is wrong with you? Where am I trolling or be a fanboy there?

I am saying this post will only attract fanboys (from both sides) to argue, no good will come out of it.

I think you need to grow up my friend...
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10  Edited By turboman
    Sentry said:
    yeah, I kinda wish I took posting this threadback already, cause I know something is bound to start by the way I worded things

anyway, just wanted to point out Sony's awesomeness I guess
    DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By DrPepper1990

Here we go again. Get what you want, both the 360 and PS3 offer great libraries that are only getting better.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Shut up guys! >_>

Anyways, it all depends on your tastes. I'm not going to sit here and list every exclusive out there, because you can use Google for that.

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Riddler
    Sentry said:
    "Riddler said:
    "Sentry said:

hey, TC look you lured the biggest troll on the board in your thread, nice. your flame bait worked"
    Excuse me? What is wrong with you? Where am I trolling or be a fanboy there?

I am saying this post will only attract fanboys (from both sides) to argue, no good will come out of it.

I think you need to grow up my friend..."
    says the prepubecent bratt that trolls the 360 forums all day trying to justify his purchase......the words, "grow up" ohhh the irony
    TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By TheJollyRajah
    TheJollyRajah said:
    "Shut up guys! >_>

Anyways, it all depends on your tastes. I'm not going to sit here and list every exclusive out there, because you can use Google for that."
    Avatar image for deactivated-57c23600813c8
    deactivated-57c23600813c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I smell something burning.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By kenzo287

well you're gonna need a blu ray player eventually

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sushbag

Any reason not to get a PS3 over 360, right now? Nope. But remember, anyone with a serious interest in console gaming bought one well before the PS3 came out. And, they're both worth owning, it's just that at this point if you don't have either you may as well start with the PS3.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince

PS3 is more then enough.

normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By normajean777

riddler needs to stfu and leave sentry alone alls you do is give him crap.

get ps3 its a better deal

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince

Arguments online are ridiculous...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

Arguments online are ridiculous...

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By Arkthemaniac

There is a reason to get all consoles. There's also a reason not to get a PS3, though, being it's expensive.

I'd love to play MGS4 and LBP, but I won't spent 500 wingwangs for it. I'm not in a good enough financial state to own all three consoles. New bass comes first.

normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By normajean777

its only 400 now

DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DrPepper1990
    normajean777 said:
    "riddler needs to stfu and leave sentry alone alls you do is give him crap.

get ps3 its a better deal"
    Yea, Riddler is getting quite annoying and after I post this he'll probably start talking about cow's again. He likes cow's way too much.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    normajean777 said:
    "its only 400 now"
    Really. Holy balls! It's affordable kinda!

DrPepper1990 said:
    "normajean777 said:

Yea, Riddler is getting quite annoying and after I post this he'll probably start talking about cow's again. He likes cow's way too much."
    Don't encourage him. To quote Mark Twain:

"You can't argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, and then beats you with experience." You could very much so call the arguments Riddler makes a.......joke?

Having said that, I wholeheartedly disagree with the first post. The PS3 is not the best console, because it's barely a console. It's like a PC you can't upgrade. Couple that with development costs and issues that scare away third parties, and you have a problem. SCEA has been stepping up their A-game, though, making first party software on par with Nintendo. Much like the Wii, though, it has little third great third party support outside of multiplats ported to it from original development on the 360. While the Wii's third party issues came from a lack of effort and false blame, PS3's come from them overshooting the market by a mile or two. You'd get more games with a Wii60 combo, as well as more exclusives. At this point in time, there's little pushing the PS3 as the dominant console.
    Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By Suicrat

Free online is going to be the reason I buy more PS3 games than 360 games now.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Suicrat said:
    "Free online is going to be the reason I buy more PS3 games than 360 games now."
    You also avoid the risk of RRoD. That's why I would do it.
    DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DrPepper1990
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Suicrat said:
    "Free online is going to be the reason I buy more PS3 games than 360 games now."
    You also avoid the risk of RRoD. That's why I would do it."
    I second that, and nice quote by Mark Twain. He is one of my favorite authors.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    DrPepper1990 said:
    "I second that, and nice quote by Mark Twain. He is one of my favorite authors."
    I find myself using it once a day here, half the time describing Riddler.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By guiseppe

If I didn't already own a PS3 I wouldn't really see any reasons to get one personally. For me, the first party games are uninteresting, as I don't care about MGS4 or LBP. When it comes to multiplatform games, I personally think that the online capabilites of the 360 far exceeds those of the PS3. And yes, I know it's free, but that doesn't make it better. So I almost always chose the 360 version, except if it's a rare case of the game being substantially better on the PS3, which I haven't seen happen yet. But it wouldn't surprise me if it did soon enough since the barrier between the two is fading rapidly. So in conclusion, the only reason I could see for actually getting a PS3 is if you want a good, 'cheap' Blu-ray player or if you, like me, are looking forward to God of War 3.

These are just my opinions, I'm not saying it is fact noram I trying to start something. It's just my thoughts on the matter.

DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DrPepper1990
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "DrPepper1990 said:
    "I second that, and nice quote by Mark Twain. He is one of my favorite authors."
    I find myself using it once a day here, half the time describing Riddler."
    Yea, that guy is just something else. I sent him a friend request so we can end all this bickering and nonsense. I don't expect him to approve it though.
    coolof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By coolof

I would disagree but that's just my taste in games. I preferred the games on Xbox over the PS2 and the 360 have been treating me great since I bought it on release. I will get a PS3 sometime though, since I want all the consoles (don't have a wii yet either, that's the next console to get for me) but I need games that interest me and so far the only games that have made me enough interested is Ratchet & Clank and Little Big Planet. Also Ratchet & Clank seem to have taken a step back this time around compared to the third game (i really liked the free aim in that game, they should have sticked to that).

So yeah, I guess it depends on what games you're after. Personally I prefer what Microsoft has (Halo, Gears, Fable etc.), at least at the moment.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Arkthemaniac

And I prefer games that pride themselves on excess of violence and cleverly hilarious dialogue that uses cursing as a cornerstone. That's why I own a Wii, strangely enough...

blue74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By blue74

because ps3 has strong first party support along with 3rd party titles

ItalyCanadian9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ItalyCanadian9

Yes the 360 has better graphics.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By Vaxadrin

The PS3 is a better value because of the BluRay player.  It can play excellent BluRay movies like Metal Gear Solid 4.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ProfessorEss

I have ZERO interest in Blu-Ray and tho there are some great exclusives there's still not quite enough for the PS3 game-wise to convince me.

I'm am looking into getting one soon tho for 1) LittleBigPlanet and 2) to use as a media center for my bedroom.

normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By normajean777
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "normajean777 said:
    "its only 400 now"
    Really. Holy balls! It's affordable kinda!

DrPepper1990 said:
    "normajean777 said:

Yea, Riddler is getting quite annoying and after I post this he'll probably start talking about cow's again. He likes cow's way too much."
    Don't encourage him. To quote Mark Twain:

"You can't argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, and then beats you with experience." You could very much so call the arguments Riddler makes a.......joke?

Having said that, I wholeheartedly disagree with the first post. The PS3 is not the best console, because it's barely a console. It's like a PC you can't upgrade. Couple that with development costs and issues that scare away third parties, and you have a problem. SCEA has been stepping up their A-game, though, making first party software on par with Nintendo. Much like the Wii, though, it has little third great third party support outside of multiplats ported to it from original development on the 360. While the Wii's third party issues came from a lack of effort and false blame, PS3's come from them overshooting the market by a mile or two. You'd get more games with a Wii60 combo, as well as more exclusives. At this point in time, there's little pushing the PS3 as the dominant console."
    Well according to most developers they are developing on the ps3 first before the 360 so the multiplats wont be worse. And also i think the ps3 will get bigger from now on we have seen this through the updates they are putting on the online aspect. Sony is finally realized that they are not doing the best that they can and from looking at the games coming i think the ps3 will pull ahead. This gen is not like last gen xbox will not dominate like ps2 did. developers are making multiplats because of the budget they want to recover costs. So i think sony saw this was gonna happen and started to make more !st-2nd party games because of this.
    DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DrPepper1990

You can't go wrong with either choice. I got a Wii a little while after launch and got bored of it fast. It was probably due to the fact that my bro. was always playing GEARS on his 360 and I always wanted to play that instead of my Wii. So I sold it and bought a PS3 which I'm very glad I did. With a bunch of great games coming out in the fall for both the 360 and the PS3, and the new price cut the 360 is receiving, I am probably going to get one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.