Anyone use dynamic themes?

#1 Edited by yellownumber5 (355 posts) -

Anyone into using dynamic themes on the PS3? Every once in a while I see a free one that has nice effects and 3D, but usually they are kinda silly, and most of them are nothing more than a changing or scrolling wallpaper that is pretty lame. Right now I am using one from the ICO/Shadow collection that is kinda neat. Has anyone paid for the fancier ones and found a good one that makes full use of the effects and 3d rendering capable of a dynamic theme? It's hard to tell from the PSN store what each dynamic theme actually does, or how much effects it uses, and I don't feel like spending 3 bucks on something just to try it out.

-YN5

#2 Edited by TheHT (11099 posts) -

i'm currently using that dragon one, because game of thrones.

usually it's the heavy rain alleyway theme. can't remember if i paid for the heavy rain one, but i'm sure the dragon one came from ps+. the heavy rain one is a 3d alleyway with rain falling down, and i've got another one that's a crime scene where 3d cops will walk around, but it seems to be 720 or something, cause the scene seems to small for my screen that's 1080. i dunno.

edit: dragon and heavy rain.

#3 Posted by ESREVER (2681 posts) -
#4 Posted by awesomeusername (4168 posts) -

I tend to switch from dynamic themes to this Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction theme. But I don't buy themes. I have some of the free ones and 2 from games I pre-ordered which are Bioshock Infinite and God of War: Ascension.

#5 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

I used to use a lot of themes, now I think the default ps3 one looks the best, plus it's a little jarring seeing the default load up, then go black and switch to whatever theme you're using.

#6 Posted by Glottery (1190 posts) -

Heavy Rain is the one I've used pretty much since I got it with the special edition. It's great, though a bit too gloomy at times...

#7 Posted by Andorski (5240 posts) -

I use to use Standard and Dynamic themes before just reverting back to the regular XMB. I always got annoyed when the XMB got updated with a new option and the theme I was currently using didn't have a specific icon for it.

#8 Posted by Zaccheus (1792 posts) -

@jmatrix said:

Heavy Rain is the one I've used pretty much since I got it with the special edition. It's great, though a bit too gloomy at times...

I used that for years but I have since switched to the Journey one which is a bit more uplifting.

#9 Posted by Rabid619 (1094 posts) -

I do! I find that most of the Dynamic Themes feel really out of place and too busy for their own good, but I really really like the one I have now called the Playstation Plus Leap Year Dynamic Theme. Been using it for a solid year and don't have any intention of ever changing it. I believe it came free with PS+.

Weirdly enough it's IMO the best Dynamic theme, yet it seems to be one of the only ones without a video online. It looks like this, but the earth spins slowly and the sun/moon revolve around it. Really chill theme.

#10 Posted by 49th (2722 posts) -

I bought a few like the Heavy Rain and Little Big Planet one but they are a waste of money.

Just look for the free ones if you have PS+, there are some nice abstract looking ones from The Studio.

#11 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Ever since I got the Ico&SotC Collection, I've been using the Ico Dynamic theme for my PS3. I like it a whole bunch and never felt like I've had to change it.

Video for references sake.

#12 Posted by Timing (619 posts) -

The Dark Souls dynamic themes are pretty cool. They're free, too. I use the Path of the Dragon one.

#13 Posted by Gruebacca (510 posts) -

Corn Love, anyone?

#14 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

I use them, but only when I get them for free.

#15 Posted by falserelic (5395 posts) -

If it's free I usually check them out.

#16 Posted by THRICE_604 (210 posts) -

Used to but not for a long time. Just got a theme with icons I liked and I have a wallpaper I copied off my PC as the background.

#17 Edited by spraynardtatum (2794 posts) -

I use the graffiti one that was offered on PS+

I like them.

#18 Posted by phantomzxro (1571 posts) -

yes, i just don't care for the ones that are too busy and get old pretty quickly.

#19 Posted by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

I got a couple from a site that makes them for free. It's one of my favorite things about the PS3.

#20 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

I use the LBP theme, which changes depending on the time of day. Pretty cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.