Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Anyone use Linux on their PS3?

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DaveF

If so, is it worth bothering to install? I'd like to give it a go, but I fell it would be too much effort to backup all my saves before I formatted the HDD.
    And are there any tricky bits to it where I could potentially make a mistake and have it all go tits up and end up with a bricked console?

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Riddler

Fuck wrong with you?

the Shitstation is already a hastle and you wanna Pile another garbage like Linux on it?

why dont you shove a pie down a fat lady's throat....i mean thats not making things worse

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    DaveF said:
    "If so, is it worth bothering to install? I'd like to give it a go, but I fell it would be too much effort to backup all my saves before I formatted the HDD.
    And are there any tricky bits to it where I could potentially make a mistake and have it all go tits up and end up with a bricked console?"
    I haven't installed it yet, but I'm set to do so in the coming days.  It's worth installing if you have any wherewithal of the Linux operating system.

There shouldn't really be any tricky bits to installing it, just print out the directions and follow them; I don't think it gets more complicated than that.
    DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DaveF

I might give it a go sometime then. Thanks for the advice.

HenryHSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HenryHSH
    Riddler said:
    "

Fuck wrong with you?

the Shitstation is already a hastle and you wanna Pile another garbage like Linux on it?

why dont you shove a pie down a fat lady's throat....i mean thats not making things worse

"
    Get lost.

And Dave, it depends what you're thinking about doing with Linux. I have it there since I have the space (500GB) and I play some Genesis roms every now and then.
    It's not very useful though.
    DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaveF
    HenryHSH said:
    "Riddler said:
    "

Fuck wrong with you?

"
    Get lost.

And Dave, it depends what you're thinking about doing with Linux. I have it there since I have the space (500GB) and I play some Genesis roms every now and then.
    "
    How good is it to just be used as a 'PC'. Obviously it would be better with mouse and keyboard for general browsing, but does the PS3's added power (over the average PC) make a noticeable difference in any way?
    HenryHSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HenryHSH
    DaveF said:
    "HenryHSH said:
    "Riddler said:
    "

Fuck wrong with you?

"
    Get lost.

"
    How good is it to just be used as a 'PC'. Obviously it would be better with mouse and keyboard for general browsing, but does the PS3's added power (over the average PC) make a noticeable difference in any way?
    "

Unfortunately you don't get access to the GPU while using Linux. No 3D games, no fancy Beryl...

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DaveF

Ah, no GPU. Doesn't that partly defeat the whole point? Oh well, I guess you'd still get some decent performance, but maybe not enough extra performance for it to be worth it if you have an average PC.

HenryHSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HenryHSH

Yeah, no need for it. I don't use it much anymore because of my setup.

I use my PC and PS3 on the same T.V.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By kenzo287

i would put linux on my ps3 (when I get one) but you can't run pc games off of it even with something to run windows programs so it's not worth the time

Buzzer_Beater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Buzzer_Beater

I don't have it. I see no reason to.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thelastguy

Nah I do not really see a point.  I have Vista on my computer which is good enough.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince

Haven't done it.

MKLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MKLOL

I was thinking of putting it, but it's just useless... (for me at least)

Teqonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Teqonix

I considered it for some time to put some emulators on it - but then they released the homebrew channel for the wii and I figured I'd just use that instead. Seemed like less of a hassle.

Conan34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Conan34

Seemed too difficult to do but I'd try it out to get some emulators and things going.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c3b7ec0db704
    deactivated-5c3b7ec0db704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a separate hdd for my ps3 that has about 10 gb dedicated for Yellow Dog Linux. Runs smoothly comes with a firefox browser that actually supports flash (was my main reason). I agree with most people here it's not needed at all to be honest, but it's proved to be very helpful. A lot of future emulation for Ps2 BC via software is most likely going to come from 3rd party random people making things that are compatible with Linux so it will be nice to have.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By chililili

Ok heavy linux user here. I did install ubuntu on my ps3 and took it off after like 3 hours. It is pure garbage and I would not recommend it. Why you ask?
    Well for starters I decided to install to play games through emulators and be able to use it as a completely region free dvd player.
    After I installed it I was bummed because it forces you to have absolutely at all times a keyboard connected to your ps3 in order to at the the beginning choose wheteher to boot up the ps3 os or linux. So that sucked because I kinda liek just clicking my controller and not having to ge tup. Then I got ubuntu running, I was doubtful at first because I did not know how well it would respond to the cell processor (would it be crappy slow, could I download a different build to prevent it from being slow, etc.) But nothing prepared me for how painstakingly slow it was to boot up and create my user (a process that takes liek 15 mins in ubuntu generally) it took around 40. Then the wireless driver was not getting picked up which pissed me off becuase Ihad downloaded the ubuntu ps3 build and would expect it to work right away. So I looked at all the hours I would have to invest to get the thing up and running and I said fuck it.

So my tip to you is:
    If you have an HD tv it most likely has a certain PC input (VGA, DVI) use that instead for any movies or emulated games you may wish to run. I am assuming you ahve a PC (otherwise how would you post here?) and if you don't have an HD TV then there's no reason to really put linux in the first place as it owuld be unbearable on the crappy resolution normal TVs support.

Later I discussed with linux guys that I know why they though it was so painstakingly slow, according to one (Don't know if its true) Sony put a certain limitation on the things that a secondary OS can do on the PS3 is order to prevent someone from being able to create a linux distro that is a complete emulator of the PS3 and basically be able to play pirate copies of all PS3 games, which I admit is a good point and plausible due to the fact of how painstakingly slow i was.

Also it takes up lots of HDD space at least 10 gigs which sorta sucks if oyu got a 20 gig or 40 gig system.

So long post short: don't bother its a nightmare and there are better alternatives.

InnerBlueAbyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By InnerBlueAbyss

I did, because im a geek that way.  Fuck Windows and OSX, thats all I gotta say.  Open Source all the way.

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DaveF
    chililili said:
    "Ok heavy linux user here. I did install ubuntu on my ps3 and took it off after like 3 hours. It is pure garbage and I would not recommend it. Why you ask?
    Well for starters I decided to install to play games through emulators and be able to use it as a completely region free dvd player.
    After I installed it I was bummed because it forces you to have absolutely at all times a keyboard connected to your ps3 in order to at the the beginning choose wheteher to boot up the ps3 os or linux. So that sucked because I kinda liek just clicking my controller and not having to ge tup. Then I got ubuntu running, I was doubtful at first because I did not know how well it would respond to the cell processor (would it be crappy slow, could I download a different build to prevent it from being slow, etc.) But nothing prepared me for how painstakingly slow it was to boot up and create my user (a process that takes liek 15 mins in ubuntu generally) it took around 40. Then the wireless driver was not getting picked up which pissed me off becuase Ihad downloaded the ubuntu ps3 build and would expect it to work right away. So I looked at all the hours I would have to invest to get the thing up and running and I said fuck it.

So my tip to you is:
    If you have an HD tv it most likely has a certain PC input (VGA, DVI) use that instead for any movies or emulated games you may wish to run. I am assuming you ahve a PC (otherwise how would you post here?) and if you don't have an HD TV then there's no reason to really put linux in the first place as it owuld be unbearable on the crappy resolution normal TVs support.

Later I discussed with linux guys that I know why they though it was so painstakingly slow, according to one (Don't know if its true) Sony put a certain limitation on the things that a secondary OS can do on the PS3 is order to prevent someone from being able to create a linux distro that is a complete emulator of the PS3 and basically be able to play pirate copies of all PS3 games, which I admit is a good point and plausible due to the fact of how painstakingly slow i was.

Also it takes up lots of HDD space at least 10 gigs which sorta sucks if oyu got a 20 gig or 40 gig system.

So long post short: don't bother its a nightmare and there are better alternatives.

"
    Thanks for the warning. My main concern was that it wouldn't be worth the effort, and you just confirmed that worry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.