Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Are there any metal gear solid anthology packs to buy?

puercoperro335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By puercoperro335

So I just got a ps3 slim and have always wanted to play an MGS game. Before I download MGS from the PSN I was wondering if there were any series packs that contained all the games in one box, kinda like the Warcraft war chest. Also I saw a metal gear solid portable ops pack on the PSN that contained PO, PO+ and some other one that wasn't acid or PW, I was curious as to why this was on the PSN and if I could play those games on my PS3. Thanks in advance for any help you guys give me.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By tokyochicken

Yes there is actually: Metal Gear Solid Essentials Collection for the PS2. It has MGS 1-3 compiled in the entire pack so it covers, mostly, all of your basis. It may not work on your slim since it doesn't have the backwards compatibility, but if you have a PS2 laying around you'll be fine.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Bones8677
    @tokyochicken said:
    " Yes there is actually, there's a Metal Gear Solid Essentials Collection for the PS2. It has MGS 1-3 compiled in the entire pack so it covers mostly all of your basis. "
    Yep, that's a good collection with some smexy new box art. ^_^
    puercoperro335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By puercoperro335
    @tokyochicken: Thanks for finding and linking that for me. =D Unfortunately I don't think my ps3 slim has backwards compatibility, so am I sol?
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zero_

Yes, unfortunately without a PS2 you won't be able to play the entire MGS series. The Essential Collections is your easiest path if you have access to a PS2.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tokyochicken
    @puercoperro335 said:
    " @tokyochicken: Thanks for finding and linking that for me. =D Unfortunately I don't think my ps3 slim has backwards compatibility, so am I sol? "
    If you REALLY want to play the games you can pick up a PS2 if you don't already have one. They're around $80 or so and you can find them everywhere. If you don't have the cash you'll have to do with MGS1 on the PSN and MGS4 for now.
    Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#7  Edited By Lazyaza

They'll probably release a PS2 HD collections version for ps3 you know, but I doubt it'll show up until some time near Risings release.

puercoperro335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By puercoperro335

I'm patient I can wait, haha.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By chililili

Yeah you'll have to wait on them

puercoperro335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By puercoperro335

Oh and that MGS PSP bundle I found, it has a graphic novel and MGS Portable OPS and PO+, but since it's on the PSN does that mean I could play it on the PS3?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green

no, there isn't really anything like that right now for the PS3. i hope that they  remake metal gear games, it would be good.

wavegoodbye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By wavegoodbye
    @puercoperro335 said:
    " Oh and that MGS PSP bundle I found, it has a graphic novel and MGS Portable OPS and PO+, but since it's on the PSN does that mean I could play it on the PS3? "
    I picked this up the other day.  Bundle-o-riffic.
    Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zella
    @puercoperro335 said:
    " Oh and that MGS PSP bundle I found, it has a graphic novel and MGS Portable OPS and PO+, but since it's on the PSN does that mean I could play it on the PS3? "
    No, full psp games can not be played on a ps3. PSP content such as Minis and PS One games can be though. If I remember correctly PO+ doesn't have anything to do with the MGS story, the only psp mgs games that really matter in the story are Portable Ops and Peace Walker. About your earlier question I would recommend picking up a cheap used ps2(they are quite cheap) and the MGS Essentials package. 
    JesseJ79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JesseJ79

MGS 1 in the MGS trilogy pack is playable in PS3.  All PS3s can play PS1 disc using an emulator, but you still need a PS2 for MGS 2 and MGS 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.