Australian Ps3 Region Free Blu-Ray playback?

#1 Edited by XxRANGAxX (226 posts) -

Hi everyone just wanted to know if it is at all possible to make the blu-ray disc player on the ps3 region free for movies, the reason why I ask this is as a huge fan of breaking bad I have just bought the collectors edition complete series barrel which on the back dose say regions ABC but some of the disc including the bonus special features disc wont playback due to region mismatch, if its not possible I may as well ask while I'm here too, I also have a LG BD660 Blu-Ray player is there anyway to make that read region free. Thanks you so much to anyone who can help, and before you so Google it I have and there is so much stuff just not giving me a straight answer so I thought id try on a more reliable community thanks guys!

#2 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

You can't make the PS3 region free for blu-rays. Let's just leave it at that. You should probably get somekind of compensation from the site you bought it from. It's false advertising on their part.

#3 Posted by PandaBear (1384 posts) -

Well technically it HAS to be region free in Australia. So the ACCC (our consumer watchdog) made it so Australian's could "reap the benefits of globalisation" years ago and region locking on DVD players was technically illegal. It was also a big part of why mod-chips were (and I think still are) legal here. Anything that's region locked can be unlock here legally, and the majority of DVD/Blu-ray players that aren't owned by a company that also makes movies (ie Panasonic, LG) are region free.

The laws aren't really enforced though. But the recent IT pricing inquiry will hopefully change a few things... at the very least Adobe and Apple will get fucked like they should.

#4 Posted by probablytuna (3822 posts) -

As far as I can tell, you can't make PS3 Blu-Ray playback region-free (though luckily most games aren't region coded). I have a NTSC-J PS3 but I frequently buy Blu-Ray movies at JB since there are always cheap deals but sometimes I come across a B region movie that won't play on my PS3.

#5 Posted by Snail (8661 posts) -

Well technically it HAS to be region free in Australia. So the ACCC (our consumer watchdog) made it so Australian's could "reap the benefits of globalisation"

Reaping the benefits of globalization sounds really cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.