Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Backwards Compatibility Patch

• 79 results
    regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By regularassmilk

IT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Demyx

Too bad it won't.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By KamasamaK

I'm betting it will happen once Sony feels like selling PS2 games on their Store.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By KingBroly

Well, Rayman 2: Revolution was rated for PS3, and that's a PS2 game.  Albeit a PS One port.  It could still mean something.

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By efrucht

That would be awesome

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By kush

It's not going to happen...ever.

jangofett88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By jangofett88

Taking it out was probably an undisclosed part of their "The PS2 is still alive!" campaign.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By roushimsx
    KingBroly said:
    "Well, Rayman 2: Revolution was rated for PS3, and that's a PS2 game.  Albeit a PS One port.  It could still mean something."
    The PS2 version wasn't based on the PS1 version. The PS1 release of Rayman 2 had a large number of differences throughout it (level design, enemies, characters, etc) while the PS2 version was more similar to the PC release, though with the sprites replaced with 3d models, framerate stuttering, and the hall of doors replaced with a central hub (among other modifications). Nitpicking, I know, but the two games are quite different and assuming that it wasn't a simple data entry error, it could mean some extremely good things (namely, Sony finally hashing out software emulation for the PS2 GPU).

While it's a pipedream, I've always hoped that by finally having a fully emulated system, it'd be possible to bypass various limitations of the original console. Kind of like how w/ N64 emulation, you can now play games like Duke Nukem Zero Hour at a smooth framerate, I'd love to see Shadow of the Colossus running smoothly (especially during the fights). Hey, one can dream.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Systech

It won't, but your username is pretty dope, son.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By tekmojo

60gigger wins.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By chililili

Don't expect backwards compatibility thorugh a patch right now, maybe next year... if that. I'm no longer sure it will ever be added.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I doubt it will ever happen Sony cant afford to spend any more money.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chililili
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "I doubt it will ever happen Sony cant afford to spend any more money."
    If it digitally distributed all of the biggest PS2 hits int he PS store I think they would get their money back, but right now they got Home project going on and they need to add other stuff tot he PSN so I doubt that it has lots of staff working on it.
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Player1

I seriously hope it does. I really want to play the early metal gear games, and the early ratchet and clank games.

Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Thunder

its never going to be added get over it

Throne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Throne

It will happen eventually I think. Sony is just trying to milk every last ounce the PS2 has left and when the PS2 is completely gone, they will eventually release a firmware with PS2 emulator I'm sure.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hexpane

Sony has gone on record as saying their lie about 100% BC for all PS systems was just blowhard nonsense that they knew they would never support.  The pissed in all of our faces and disrespected loyal customers since the PS1 days w/ a meager offering of PS1 games on PSN and the outright removal of PS2 BC in all newer consoles.

If sony could open our mouths and take a dump down our throats right now, they would just for spite and bravado.  the idea that the company who killed the Dreamcast PS1 emu even tho it improved their own games, just because they could leads us to expect no software emu ever.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By roushimsx
    Hexpane said:
    "If sony could open our mouths and take a dump down our throats right now, they would just for spite and bravado.  the idea that the company who killed the Dreamcast PS1 emu even tho it improved their own games, just because they could leads us to expect no software emu ever."
    Bleem was going nowhere quick any damn way. The project was already grossly behind schedule and they'd already had to scale the scope of it way back, not to mention the DC controller being terribly suited for Playstation games. Sony did us a favor by taking it out of the market.

There's money to be made in offering PS2 games directly for download on PSN and despite their behavior in the last year or two, Sony really does love money. Now, if they'll ever actually come to grips with the harsh reality that the US and European divisions of the PSN classics stores are a fucking mess (especially compared to the JPN PSN store), that's another story. They've got a better grip on things than Nintendo, but that's like saying durian smells better than shit. Hell, they've even been updating various things that only audiophiles and videophiles remotely care about (hell, Criterion Co. uses a PS3 as their reference bluray player).

The success of Xbox Originals shows that there's not only a market for downloadable games from the last generation, but that there's a market for niche downloadable games from last generation. I mean, shit, have you seen the offerings for Xbox Originals? It's like a who's-who of geeky, awesome Xbox games that never got their due respect. Throw Deathrow on there and it'll be a dead give away that whoever does the choices for games on the service is an obvious fanboy of Eurogamer's "Most Underrated Xbox Games" list.
    Mats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mats

Sony, and any other company with business sense for that matter, will do stuff when there is money to be made. Right now it's more profitable to squeeze the ps2 for what it is worth.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HandsomeDead

Thanks for getting my hopes up with the title and then instantly dashing them with your caps lock wishes.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

Don't think it will happen.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By MetalGearSunny

How could it happen? isn't it a hardware thing?

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StaticFalconar

It did already happen to past SKUs but they took it out. Sony shouldn't be spending thier energy on shit like that anyway since it still has a lot of ground to cover to stay competitive. Almost everyone has a PS2 and the damn things are still selling, so there is not rush other than you specifically want it. If you do want it that bad track down a older gen PS3 that still has it.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Drebin_893

I have a launch 60GB, So I'm fine....

**Slowly walks away**

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AaronBelfast
    Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    "How could it happen? isn't it a hardware thing?"
    The 80gb version got patched for BC, so it's possible for the 40gb, who knows.
    roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By roushimsx
    AaronBelfast said:
    "The 80gb version got patched for BC, so it's possible for the 40gb, who knows."
    The 80gigger wasn't patched, it had it from the get-go. They emulated the PS2 CPU (Emotion Engine), but it still had the PS2 GPU (Graphics Synthesizer) chip in there. In the 40gigger and later models, they removed the GPU and have yet to replace it with a software solution. Removing the chips saved them on the manufacturing cost per unit (lessening the amount of money they lost on each console sold).

20s and 60g had both chips along with the software PS1 emulation carried over and improved from the PStwo, which is better than the hardware backwards compatibility on the fat PS2 if for no other reason than it supported motherfucking Tomba. Word.
    Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Psynapse

When the PS2 stops getting sold at retail, and no-one produces games for it anymore... then maybe it will get patched... But the PS2 is still selling like hotcakes around the world, games are still being developed. Its good business that they havn't done it yet.

siLVUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By siLVUR

Impossible. There is no 100% way of emulating PS2 games by software. The lack of any PS2 hardware is what's holding it back.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By roushimsx
    siLVUR said:
    "There is no 100% way of emulating PS2 games by software.
    Oh, now I'm interested. Why is it impossible to ever emulate the PS2 via software? Just curious.
    siLVUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By siLVUR
    roushimsx said:
    "siLVUR said:
    Oh, now I'm interested. Why is it impossible to ever emulate the PS2 via software? Just curious."
    Because not even hackers have figured out a guarantee way?
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KamasamaK
    siLVUR said:
    "roushimsx said:
    "siLVUR said:
    Oh, now I'm interested. Why is it impossible to ever emulate the PS2 via software? Just curious."
    Because not even hackers have figured out a guarantee way?"
    It's probably a lot easier for the company that has the circuit/logic schematics for the system and a workforce that would work on it as their job. It is most certainly not impossible, and they've already emulated the CPU (though not perfectly).

To the other people who said it'll never happen, do you also think it is technically unfeasible or is it that you don't think Sony ever wants to make money off selling PS2 games digitally?
    lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lebkin
    Kamasama said:
    To the other people who said it'll never happen, do you also think it is technically unfeasible or is it that you don't think Sony ever wants to make money off selling PS2 games digitally?"
    I am not sure why everyone assumes that Sony will release a backwards compatibility patch to the public in order to sell PS2 games from their store.  Those two things are not completely tied together.  For example, they could patch games on a one by one basis.  Only the patched version from the PSN store would work; not the unpatched disc version.  Or if they do develop a general backwards compatibility patch, Sony could keep it for themselves and make only it work with downloaded games.

Why would Sony do these things?  Why to make you buy your old games over again of course.  I am sure they could get sales out of people who want to play Metal Solid 3 or God of War or any of the other premier PS2 games, even if those people already own them.  Heck, Xbox sells games that do work with backwards compatibility, and they sell well enough that Microsoft keeps doing it.  If your only option is to re-buy these classics, I could see it working out well for Sony.
    Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gameboi

It should happen ( in my opinion ), but there are no signs of Sony doing it anytime soon... if at all. Tragically, BC is one of the cornerstones of the PS2, and something Sony touted as a strong selling point. From a financial standpoint, I can see why they abandoned it in the already struggling PS3 (at the time they removed the emotion engine chip from the hardware), but that doesn't make the loss of backwards compatibility any easier to swallow.

A patch is the only option at this time, but the man hours that must go into emulating the games on the PS3 must be nothing short of astronomical, and way too expensive to justify. 

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KamasamaK
    lebkin said:
    "Kamasama said:
    To the other people who said it'll never happen, do you also think it is technically unfeasible or is it that you don't think Sony ever wants to make money off selling PS2 games digitally?"
    I am not sure why everyone assumes that Sony will release a backwards compatibility patch to the public in order to sell PS2 games from their store.  Those two things are not completely tied together.  For example, they could patch games on a one by one basis.  Only the patched version from the PSN store would work; not the unpatched disc version.  Or if they do develop a general backwards compatibility patch, Sony could keep it for themselves and make only it work with downloaded games.

Why would Sony do these things?  Why to make you buy your old games over again of course.  I am sure they could get sales out of people who want to play Metal Solid 3 or God of War or any of the other premier PS2 games, even if those people already own them.  Heck, Xbox sells games that do work with backwards compatibility, and they sell well enough that Microsoft keeps doing it.  If your only option is to re-buy these classics, I could see it working out well for Sony."
    Because it would actually be more work to patch each game to that extent than to make a general purpose solution once. However, I can see them needing to have a minor patch to fix any issues a game may have with the emulation implementation, much like the updates they already released to improve backward compatibility. Your latter option is possible, but I think unlikely. Hopefully Sony would foresee the backlash that would ensue as a result, not to mention they didn't do that with PS1.

EDIT: Added a missing word and phrase.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By StaticFalconar

Anyone that cares about the BC on the PS3 would have bought one that has it a long time ago. This is what you guys get for trying to jump in on the bandwagon late.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    StaticFalconar said:
    "Anyone that cares about the BC on the PS3 would have bought one that has it a long time ago."
    This makes no sense to me. I haven't purchased a PS3, but I do have a PS2 that is slowly dying. It would be very nice if the PS3 I eventually purchase had backwards compatibility so that I don't have to also buy a PS2 to play all of my PS2 games.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tekmojo
    StaticFalconar said:
    "Anyone that cares about the BC on the PS3 would have bought one that has it a long time ago. This is what you guys get for trying to jump in on the bandwagon late."
    Yea I bought my 60gigger PS3 for $450 on Ebay just when they were being phased out. Looking back now, I made an extremely wise decision.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidPrince

I bought my 60GB during launch.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hazelnutman

I'm sure it's not a software thing that's stopping them from allowing everything to have BC.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hexpane

it is technically possible to make a full software PS2 emu, but it will of course take enormous time, money and talent.  The result will be a buggy incomplete emu w/ terrible framerates, audio glitches and numerous other problems.

Sony does not want to invest money in something like that for so little return, especially since even the 60gb STILL has bugs on some games and it's using HARDWARE EMU, if you get bugs w/ hardware emu, imagine how problematic the software emu will be from the same company.

That + sony hates gamers + sony loves lies.

THE PS3 is FUTUER PROOF!  1080p games at 60fps!!!!  oh wait, they meant 1 game will be 1080p 60fps, gran turismo 5 and every other game will be 600p 26fps and tons of jaggies

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gameboi
    Hexpane said:

THE PS3 is FUTUER PROOF!  1080p games at 60fps!!!!  oh wait, they meant 1 game will be 1080p 60fps, gran turismo 5 and every other game will be 600p 26fps and tons of jaggies"
    You had me until that part.  you really did...
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hexpane
    Gameboi said:
    "Hexpane said:

THE PS3 is FUTUER PROOF!  1080p games at 60fps!!!!  oh wait, they meant 1 game will be 1080p 60fps, gran turismo 5 and every other game will be 600p 26fps and tons of jaggies"
    You had me until that part.  you really did..."
    I'm being a drama queen, but those are indeed quotes from Sony.
    DId they not promise a "Future proof" console?  Did sony not say "1080p 60fps TRUE HD?" 
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By chililili
    Hexpane said:
    "Gameboi said:
    "Hexpane said:

DId they not promise a "Future proof" console?  Did sony not say "1080p 60fps TRUE HD?" "
    WipeOut HD runs at that, if developers want to make a game that runs that way they can, anyway run away little troll. Games in both the ps3 and the 360 mostly do not run at the resolutions advertised ie Halo 3 says 720 p but its actually 640 pixels tall. Everyone does it, still 1080p at 60fps I think is only possible on the ps3 and a pc.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hexpane
    chililili said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "Gameboi said:
    "Hexpane said:

DId they not promise a "Future proof" console?  Did sony not say "1080p 60fps TRUE HD?" "
    WipeOut HD runs at that, if developers want to make a game that runs that way they can, anyway run away little troll. Games in both the ps3 and the 360 mostly do not run at the resolutions advertised ie Halo 3 says 720 p but its actually 640 pixels tall. Everyone does it, still 1080p at 60fps I think is only possible on the ps3 and a pc."
    ROFL so they just don't want to make games 1080p?  "if they want to they can"?    Your halo example is simply proving the point.   Both XBOX and PS3 games (the vast majority) are not even MIN HD 720p.  They are SUB HD

Sony said FUTURE PROOF, but the games are not even 720p HD, which is 2005 specs.   PC games are already running nicely at 1440p.  How is 640p future proof?  You can attack me and call me a "troll" but what exactly am I 'trolling"  I'm pointing out why it would be a technical nightmare for sony to try and get true software EMU on a PS3 for PS2 games and have it run without horrendous technical flaws.

If you don't like the truth, go hide your head in the sand.
    xionpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xionpunk

Yeah , it needs to, but it won't until PS2 completely fades out.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gameboi
    Hexpane said:
    True, but all three of these guys blow smoke up our butts on a daily basis.  I will agree that Sony has turned it into an art form, but I blame Ken Kutaragi  for that one ;-)
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hexpane
    Gameboi said:
    "Hexpane said:
    True, but all three of these guys blow smoke up our butts on a daily basis.  I will agree that Sony has turned it into an art form, but I blame Ken Kutaragi  for that one ;-)"
    Then we agree!

I don't even NEED 1080p 60fps.  I would be perfectly happy w/ 720p 60fps.   Games like Uncharted and Heavenly Sword fill my graphical needs,  those are HD specs for HDTVs.

My complaint is a large number of these games are not even 720p?  Promise me lobster and show up w/ jumbo shrimp, we can still feast.  but promise me lobster and show up w/ canned tuna and I will kick you square in the nuts!
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By chililili
    Hexpane said:
    "chililili said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "Gameboi said:
    "Hexpane said:

WipeOut HD runs at that, if developers want to make a game that runs that way they can, anyway run away little troll. Games in both the ps3 and the 360 mostly do not run at the resolutions advertised ie Halo 3 says 720 p but its actually 640 pixels tall. Everyone does it, still 1080p at 60fps I think is only possible on the ps3 and a pc."
    ROFL so they just don't want to make games 1080p?  "if they want to they can"?    Your halo example is simply proving the point.   Both XBOX and PS3 games (the vast majority) are not even MIN HD 720p.  They are SUB HD

Sony said FUTURE PROOF, but the games are not even 720p HD, which is 2005 specs.   PC games are already running nicely at 1440p.  How is 640p future proof?  You can attack me and call me a "troll" but what exactly am I 'trolling"  I'm pointing out why it would be a technical nightmare for sony to try and get true software EMU on a PS3 for PS2 games and have it run without horrendous technical flaws.

If you don't like the truth, go hide your head in the sand."
    Yes developers do NOT want to make 1080p 60fps games because they would be too expensive to develop or require a mastery of the ps3 architecture that they do not wish to invest in. You are right in that most games are not 720p its just that I thought you were just trolling since you came in just insulting and being rude in your first post. Again its not Sony's problem. In the PC (for example) World of Goo does not run at  say 2560X1600 and its just an overblown small resolution picture, do I blame nvidia or ATI or do I blame the World of Goo developers? Obviously the developers.* Yes PC games run quite but the PC is a whole other beast superior in many different aspects when compared to consoles.

But I digress this does not have anything to do with the topic at hand and I agree with you, I do not think the ps3 can develop a software emu for the ps2, it would be filled with all the flaws that you mentioned. I also agree that games should run at least at 720p.

*Sidenote: I love world of goo, and graphics are meaningless when you have so much fun with a game, so get it and play it if you haven't
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hexpane

So we agree that it's a bit gimp to have HD future proof consoles running games at 600p native then?  But we disagree about this idea that "devs don't want to"

Here is my example.  Fallout 3 runs fine at 1440p native.  So they devs indeed do want to run it in high res.  However the PS3 and XBOX can not handle that, so they are FORCED to gimp it down to 720p (or it looks like even lower on the PS3, more like 640p)  they have no choice.

sandalhatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sandalhatman

In my opinion (but maybe I'm just too hopeful or optimistic) Sony will release a BC patch sometime within the next year, mainly because 09 will probably be the last year of the PS2, at least in the major territories (PS2 is just starting to take off in some of the third-world countries, so I'm not counting them). Sony wants to get current PS2 owners to upgrade to a PS3, and lets face it, that is a lot more appealing if you don't throw away an entire generation of games.

Going along with all the BC patch rumors, there was originally a rumor back in the summer about PS2 games available for download off the PSN. Nothing was ever heard from that again, but there was another rumor that BC would come out in October. That never happened, but just a couple days ago there was another rumor that BC was supposed to be added to the last firmware update and never happened. As for the October to December delay in the supposed BC patch, well, I find that entirely plausible. How many times this generation have things been delayed? And its possible that it was taken out of the update to fix a few bugs, another delay.

We know Sony is working at a PS2 emulator, because they had the emulated BC in the 80s out way too quickly for it to be a post launch development. That means that PS2 emulation has a dedicated team of developers that are already paid for, so PS2 emulation doesn't actually cost Sony any money at all. Its being developed by people already on salary. 

Everything above is just speculation, and probably hope, but I bought the 40gig PS3 when Walmart was running their 100$ giftcard deal back in the summer, and I would really like to see BC in my Playstation. Sony can do this, and it is very possible to run the emulator entirely from the PS3 itself with no PS2 hardware at all. If a bunch of random programmers can create the PCSX2 in there spare time, having only limited knowledge about the actual PS2 system, and get it working with hundreds of games, then there is no reason that Sony, with the actual PS2 specs, cannot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.