Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Banned from PSN??

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By navyguy21

Hey guys, have any of you ever been banned? If so, for how long?? I just tried to play online, and cant sign into my account, and has been deleted altogether!! Then i get an email from sony saying my account was removed due to terms of use violation!! I lost ALL MY TROPHIES!!!! WTF!!!! Is there any way to get them back??? Will i have to create another account?? Help!! :(

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Baillie

Did you deserve it? :)

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By navyguy21
    @Baillie: i dont know lol. I was just chatting on Gametrailers about it, and they said gamesharing is against the terms of usage, but i thought you could share with up to 5 people??
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Baillie

They're supposed to be for 5 of your PS3s, it's not really wanted by Sony for 1 guy to buy the game and 4 others to play them for free, not really ethical is it? How did you even get caught out? :\

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By navyguy21
    @Baillie: i have no idea how they found out, i didnt even know it was wrong :( Now i have to start all over :( and i was almost level 9
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @navyguy21 said:

" @Baillie: i dont know lol. I was just chatting on Gametrailers about it, and they said gamesharing is against the terms of usage, but i thought you could share with up to 5 people?? "

Clearly you can't... at least not legally.... 

@Baillie said:
    " They're supposed to be for 5 of your PS3s, it's not really wanted by Sony for 1 guy to buy the game and 4 others to play them for free, not really ethical is it? How did you even get caught out?   
    Negative. You can download a game to the same PS3 as many times as you want. Only 5 different consoles can download it.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond

Lots of people have gameshared, I'd be surprised if Sony started cracking down.  It's not something I'd want to do for a lot of reasons.

Never been banned from any of these services, including PSN.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By navyguy21
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " @navyguy21 said:

" @Baillie: i dont know lol. I was just chatting on Gametrailers about it, and they said gamesharing is against the terms of usage, but i thought you could share with up to 5 people?? "

@Baillie said:
    " They're supposed to be for 5 of your PS3s, it's not really wanted by Sony for 1 guy to buy the game and 4 others to play them for free, not really ethical is it? How did you even get caught out?   
    Negative. You can download a game to the same PS3 as many times as you want. Only 5 different consoles can download it. "
    what about beta codes??
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Baillie
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    @Baillie said:
    Negative. You can download a game to the same PS3 as many times as you want. Only 5 different consoles can download it. "
    What are you 'negative'ing at? You just reiterated what I said.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond

oops nevermind, I got my PSN question threads confused.  I've never shared beta codes, and that might be a risky thing.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Babble
    @navyguy21 said:
    "   Hey guys, have any of you ever been banned? If so, for how long?? I just tried to play online, and cant sign into my account, and has been deleted altogether!! Then i get an email from sony saying my account was removed due to terms of use violation!! I lost ALL MY TROPHIES!!!! WTF!!!! Is there any way to get them back??? Will i have to create another account?? Help!! :(   "

... Don't ask why, just feels like this video fits well.
    navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By navyguy21

My new user id is Navyguy211, please add me, i need friends lol

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By CL60
    @Babble said:

" @navyguy21 said:

"   Hey guys, have any of you ever been banned? If so, for how long?? I just tried to play online, and cant sign into my account, and has been deleted altogether!! Then i get an email from sony saying my account was removed due to terms of use violation!! I lost ALL MY TROPHIES!!!! WTF!!!! Is there any way to get them back??? Will i have to create another account?? Help!! :(   "

... Don't ask why, just feels like this video fits well. "
    That was....amazing.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @SJSchmidt93 said:

" @navyguy21 said:

@Baillie said:
    Actually i do believe your wrong, the 5 download limit is your download limit if you give it out 5 times after the initial you can no longer download it unless you call sony.

P.S i could be wrong.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Diamond
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    Actually i do believe your wrong, the 5 download limit is your download limit if you give it out 5 times after the initial you can no longer download it unless you call sony. "
    I'm 95% certain the download limit is unlimited per PS3.  I can try it right now with a PSN game I bought and hated, if you like.  I'd kind of like to make sure myself.
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By unsolvedparadox
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " @navyguy21 said:

@Baillie said:
    Actually i do believe your wrong, the 5 download limit is your download limit if you give it out 5 times after the initial you can no longer download it unless you call sony. "

I believe this is the case as well. Aside from my strong desire to support developers and publishers, I don't know why someone would game share when it's so easy to get caught at it...just because a mass crackdown hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't. 

Then again, I'm the only person I know who buys music and movies, so maybe I'm the exception...
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Diamond said:

" @WilliamRLBaker said:

I'm 95% certain the download limit is unlimited per PS3.  I can try it right now with a PSN game I bought and hated, if you like.  I'd kind of like to make sure myself. "
    We'll i've shared a few games over up to the 5 time limit and it wont let me redownload it onto the original ps3 i have it on.
    But as i said i could still be wrong.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Diamond
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    We'll i've shared a few games over up to the 5 time limit and it wont let me redownload it onto the original ps3 i have it on. "
    Hmmm interesting.  Is it possible you let 5 or more separate people download the game while you had it uninstalled?  I didn't think uninstalling a game deactivated it though...
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Diamond said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    We'll i've shared a few games over up to the 5 time limit and it wont let me redownload it onto the original ps3 i have it on. "
    Hmmm interesting.  Is it possible you let 5 or more separate people download the game while you had it uninstalled?  I didn't think uninstalling a game deactivated it though... "
    No this was a past event when i forgot to back things up when i changed the hard drive in the system, and it wouldn't let me redownload a few games I had to call sony to get em reset so i could redownload em.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By emkeighcameron

@Babble said:

" @navyguy21 said:

... Don't ask why, just feels like this video fits well. "

God I love THHGTTG. God rest Douglas Adams. Though that movie was absolutely horrible.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By asurastrike

I love how people are saying game sharing is wrong. My PSN account is activated on 5 consoles (mine, my uncles, my parents, and 2 of my friends), Sony lets me do it, who cares? Phil Harrison used to tout the feature in the early PS3 days and he's the reason I even know about it.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Clean

That sucks, I'd give an angry call to Sony

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond

OK just now I verified the activation system.  I downloaded a PSN game I had bought before 6 additional times on the same PS3, downloading, installing, uninstalling.  I had downloaded that PSN game at least twice on a previous PS3 that had broke and I sent in to Sony as well.  Each time when I went to download I saw the word activating appear for a split second before actually downloading.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Diamond said:

" OK just now I verified the activation system.  I downloaded a PSN game I had bought before 6 additional times on the same PS3, downloading, installing, uninstalling.  I had downloaded that PSN game at least twice on a previous PS3 that had broke and I sent in to Sony as well.  Each time when I went to download I saw the word activating appear for a split second before actually downloading. "

but has the game ever been deleted or have you changed the hard drive?
    maybe test by deleting, downloading, deleting downloading...etc
    Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Jerusahat
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Diamond
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    but has the game ever been deleted or have you changed the hard drive? maybe test by deleting, downloading, deleting downloading...etc "
    I deleted it every time.  Never changed the HDD, but I got a different HDD when I got a different PS3 back from Sony.  I was deleting, downloading, installing.

Dunno what your problem was anyways.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Jerusahat said:

" According to the Sony FAQ, it's a five-system limit for certain types of content. "

Thats likely whats the problem....I have a game that has 5 other people playing it cause i shared with them so untill i deactivate it then i cannot redownload the games i did share.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By mike

Isn't the intent of the five system limit to allow people to have their PSN account linked to five systems that they personally own? This seems like a bunch of people trying to convince themselves that piracy is OK as long as they don't "share" games with more than four other people.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By KamasamaK

The purpose was obviously not to simply share with friends, and even if it was that wouldn't be fair to developers. Just because it is technically possibly doesn't make it right. I'm not saying you need to own the console, though. It seems reasonable that, like taking a disc over to a friend's house, you should be able to retrieve your account and game there temporarily.

Dylan Cuthbert made a couple recent tweets that reflects my thoughts pretty well:
    it's nice to see PixelJunk games recommended so much on neogaf threads for people who have just got their slim PS3s!
    except the guy who was being recommended the games went and "gameshare"d Monsters, what a git!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iam3green

dang that sucks, i kind of want to know why u got banned. i have never got banned from anything.

bjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By bjorn

MB: That is what I would call "Hitting the nail on the head".
    If you share you're game with another person you run the risk of getting suspended ore banned. C'est la vie duder's.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.