Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Basic question about PS3 backwards compatability

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#1  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Hey folks-

I'm mulling over purchasing a PS3.  A big part of my decision will be its backwards compatability.  Does the PS3 offer it in any specific versions?  Is it limited to a few games, or is the entire catalogue backwards compatible?  Please, no system flaming here - I'm just looking for very specific answers.  Thanks in advance!

wafflestomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By wafflestomp

BC is only available on the new MGS4 80 gig bundle. Unless you find a 60 gig somewhere.

It has worked with every game I have tried. See the full list here.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

American 60 GB sku = about 99% BC
    80 GB SKU = 80% BC

40 GB SKU= NO BC

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By CellAnimation

The NTSC 20 and 60 GB models include the Emotion Engine RISC CPU and the Graphics Synthesizer GPU from the PS2.  This allows for nearly 100% PS2 BC.

The PAL 60 GB and NTSC 80 GB (original) model include the Graphics Synthesizer GPU from the PS2, but they emulate the Emotion Engine in software.  This software/hardware based BC allows for reasonable PS2 BC.  If you check the PlayStation website for your area you can find a list of games that work for these systems.  The link for North America is http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

The PAL/NTSC 40 GB model and the new 80 GB model don't include either pieces of hardware from the PS2.  So the current software/hardware based BC doesn't work on these machines.

All PS3s offer pretty much 100% BC with the original PlayStation.

HTH

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It deppends on the model. the 20GB and 60GB have full BC in the US, but not in the PAL regions (the 20GB doesn't even exist in PAL). The 60GB PAL version has software emulation, which is like the xbox 360's BC, only some games will work, and some won't work properly. The old 80GB in the US is the same. The 40GB and new 80GB doesn't have any BC at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

CellAnimation said:
    "The NTSC 20 and 60 GB models include the Emotion Engine RISC CPU and the Graphics Synthesizer GPU from the PS2.  This allows for nearly 100% PS2 BC.

The PAL 60 GB and NTSC 80 GB (original) model include the Graphics Synthesizer GPU from the PS2, but they emulate the Emotion Engine in software.  This software/hardware based BC allows for reasonable PS2 BC.  If you check the PlayStation website for your area you can find a list of games that work for these systems.  The link for North America is http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

The PAL/NTSC 40 GB model and the new 80 GB model don't include either pieces of hardware from the PS2.  So the current software/hardware based BC doesn't work on these machines.

All PS3s offer pretty much 100% BC with the original PlayStation.

HTH"
    Exactly what he said!!!
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By kush

60GB is the only way to go...the current 80GB does have about 80% (but that doesn't mean all those games are actually emulated well) ...for me it's 60GB or nothing.

DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DrPepper1990

Get the MGS 4 bundle, it plays a lot of ps2 games.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By suneku

The only one you'll find in retail stores now is the MGS4 80gb bundle, unless you're thinking about ebaying a 60gb or something, you'd better hurry because they're supposedly getting rid of BC for all SKUs.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#10  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Thanks for the input and the advice.  Not sure if I can pick up a MGS4 bundle fast enough.  I'm hoping they keep BC on some future versions.  I don't mind keeping my PS2, but man, there's getting to be a lot of cords and a lot of mess switching between consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    "Thanks for the input and the advice.  Not sure if I can pick up a MGS4 bundle fast enough.  I'm hoping they keep BC on some future versions.  I don't mind keeping my PS2, but man, there's getting to be a lot of cords and a lot of mess switching between consoles."
    They might, but probably won't since by then there will be software (ie FW patch) you can DL which will emulate.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    "Hey folks-

I'm mulling over purchasing a PS3.  A big part of my decision will be its backwards compatability.  Does the PS3 offer it in any specific versions?  Is it limited to a few games, or is the entire catalogue backwards compatible?  Please, no system flaming here - I'm just looking for very specific answers.  Thanks in advance!"
    20, 60 and first generation 80GB all have full BC. 40 and new 80 do not.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are limited, but they have some.

DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DrPepper1990

get the mgs 4 bundle, it has an 80gb hdd and its mostly backwards compatible. I'm still waiting for sony to release the software emulation patch to us 40gb owners. If that doesnt happen I might just go out and buy a ps2.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By brukaoru
    DrPepper1990 said:
    "get the mgs 4 bundle, it has an 80gb hdd and its mostly backwards compatible. I'm still waiting for sony to release the software emulation patch to us 40gb owners. If that doesnt happen I might just go out and buy a ps2."
    I don't see how anyone who bought a 40GB was expecting backwards compatibility. It says clearly on the box that it does not support PS2 games, the old 80GB SKU doesn't say that. 40GBs will never have backwards compatibility, I guarantee it, and neither will the new 80GB SKU.
    DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DrPepper1990
    brukaoru said:
    "DrPepper1990 said:
    "get the mgs 4 bundle, it has an 80gb hdd and its mostly backwards compatible. I'm still waiting for sony to release the software emulation patch to us 40gb owners. If that doesnt happen I might just go out and buy a ps2."
    I don't see how anyone who bought a 40GB was expecting backwards compatibility. It says clearly on the box that it does not support PS2 games, the old 80GB SKU doesn't say that. 40GBs will never have backwards compatibility, I guarantee it, and neither will the new 80GB SKU."
    Well there was a rumor going around saying that sony had plans on creating a patch that would allow software emulation on the 40gb models, they were going to release a firmware update in the fall sometime. That's only a rumor though, they haven't confirmed it. Also, why would sony include the ability to create an internal ps2 memory card on the 40gb model's, it cant play ps2 games but they made it be able to have an internal ps2 memory card. So they might have done that so that if they do make it backwards compatible, you will be able to have a ps2 memory card for all your ps2 saves. But if they dont, oh well, I can just go buy a ps2 seeing as how there pretty cheap now days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.