Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Biggest HDD Allowable in a PS3

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Hey all, I was looking into upgrading my PS3's storage capacity here pretty soon. I find myself with a lot of digital titles (mostly due to PS+ free games and games on sale), and I need more space for all these games!

So, does anyone know what the largest HDD is that can be installed in a PS3?

I currently have a 500GB one in there right now, and it's practically filled! Can I slap a 2TB drive in there? Does one even exist that will fit? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@ssj4raditz: I wanna say 2TB is the limit but I could be wrong. I know 1TB drives will work for sure though.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm pretty sure as long as you can find one of the right size (laptop size, 2.5" 9mm SATA) it will work. There are some that sit at 2.6" and I hear you can use those as long as you're not using the HDD caddy that comes with the PS3 drive but I don't personally think I'd risk that.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Strife777

It needs to be 9.5mm in thickness, same for PS4. Make sure to look out for that.

So any 2.5" that size will work. I highly doubt there is any storage space limit.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Alrighty, thanks for the info, guys! :)

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I highly doubt Sony would intentionally impose a limit so you should be good to buy as much as you can find.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there even a 2TB laptop hard drive ?

pkjr92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PS3 supports an internal drive of up to 1TB, and up to 2TB for a USB drive plugged into the console. From what I can tell from the conversation on this forum, the limit stems either from an obsolete SATA controller within the unit, or it's just a limitation imposed by Sony.

Internally, the PS3 won't be able to see a drive larger than 1TB.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.