Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Bluray movie playback - freezing issue.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Hey folks,

Was hoping someone in the community might be able to shed some new light on a issue I've been having lately. I have an original fat PS3 (think it's the 60GB, though I changed the HDD a long time ago) and watch a fair amount of blurays on the thing. However the past week I've started suffering with some odd moments where movies will freeze in both video and audio, though I can still press the Playstation button and eventually the video will skip forward to a later point. At first I wasn't sure what was causing it and so ventured forth to the web to try a few bits and bobs. So far none of the techniques have worked, I've even opened it up and cleaned the lens but despite it running a little quieter now (having cleaned the insides) the issue still pops up. Some folks have said it's related to having internet enabled but disabling it or not even connecting the ethernet doesn't do a thing to fix it. I've tried the restore file menu stuff and so forth but no luck. At this point I'm guessing the bluray player is the issue, though games work perfectly and the only other thing I've noticed is the freeze happens when the fan is running fast so I've wondered if it's an overheating issue. The thing is, my PS3 is in a very open area so it as to be something related to it overheating inside the console. Whatever it is, games still work so that's one thing... just an odd and frustrating issue that'll mean I'll have to most probably get a separate player.

Also have one other quick question, does the old fat 60GB PS3's have the autoclean function? I've read about it but it never works on my system, wonder if it's a region thing.

Just thought I'd ask for some input from the Giantbomb community, can never hurt. Thanks.

Asseroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The drive is probably dying, playing games takes more stress than movies so if its not overheating then its the drive. Autocelan is not a regin thing its model based

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

@asseroth said:

The drive is probably dying, playing games takes more stress than movies so if its not overheating then its the drive. Autocelan is not a regin thing its model based

It appears to be the drive itself from what I can tell. Games work fine, but with bluray movies it seems to struggle to read them. My copy of Master and Commander won't even load, continually repeating the same sound inside as if it's skipping something. I noticed this sound when it freezes up, repeating the same drive sounds. It's just frustrating that games work perfectly fine yet movies have suddenly gone all haywire. Considering replacing the drive. As for autoclean, I have an original fat PS3 but I'm pretty sure my system doesn't have that feature.

Thanks for the input. Appreciated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.