Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Buying a New Model (Swap HDD Question)

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Quick question for anyone who might know. I still have an original 60gb Big Daddy unit, and after moving it into the a different room where it's a little more out in the open, you notice the sound a lot more.

So I'm considering buying one of the quieter newer models now that they are so cheap. If I do, can I just take the Harddrive out of the old unit and stick it in the new one without having to re-download all my games and saves (from the PSN Network and Cloud)? Or will it format the drive when I stick it in the new model and I'll have to re-download everything?

Elite_Jason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudyimpulse: Unfortuately it will reformat your old hard drive when you put in the new system. At least was the case for me.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cloudyimpulse

@elite_jason said:

@cloudyimpulse: Unfortuately it will reformat your old hard drive when you put in the new system. At least was the case for me.

GOT Damn it. Well thanks for the quick reply. Very much appreciated.

Maybe it's time to buy the new machine and take it to work on Friday, hide it under the desk and use up all that great bandwidth to re-download everything.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bigsocrates

I believe for some files you can copy them to an external drive and transfer them that way.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if there's a way to download all the install packaged files for every game to an external HDD like you mentioned, then install them one at a time later.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

I wonder if there's a way to download all the install packaged files for every game to an external HDD like you mentioned, then install them one at a time later.

I like your first idea better, haha. Siphon that bandwidth.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudyimpulse said:

I like your first idea better, haha. Siphon that bandwidth.

LOL yeah that's what I'll probably end up doing. UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH!!!! Now let's just hope there aren't any firewall restrictions.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I believe you can connect the two with a ethernet cable and transfer the hard drive data directly to the new PS3 with an option in the settings menu, or use an external drive to back it up and transfer it that way, but you cant just straight up swap the hard drives because there linked to a specific PS3.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe you can connect the two with a ethernet cable and transfer the hard drive data directly to the new PS3 with an option in the settings menu, or use an external drive to back it up and transfer it that way, but you cant just straight up swap the hard drives because there linked to a specific PS3.

The problem is the HDD in the newer model will be smaller (just buying the cheapest 12gb model). So that wouldn't really work. That's why I was hoping an HDD swap would be quicker. But that's definitely good to know in the future.

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By matt_f606

@cloudyimpulse: Also the 12gb model requires a HDD tray which you would need to order from Sony customer services. At least thats what we have do in the UK.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cloudyimpulse

@mattf87 said:

@cloudyimpulse: Also the 12gb model requires a HDD tray which you would need to order from Sony customer services. At least thats what we have do in the UK.

Holy crap really? Anyone in the US able to confirm if you have to buy anything extra to mount a 2.5" HDD?

And I assume the tray it uses it not the exact same style as what's in the original big fat PS3? Because that would be fantastical if I could just use that tray and move it over.

Good times!

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Example1013

You can actually directly image the old hard drive onto the new hard drive. There's a feature for it, I did it when my parents bought me a new PS3 after the old one's disc drive broke. It copies accounts, saves, settings, everything. Look it up on google, it's exactly what you're looking for. And it also keeps the old PS3 and all its data completely intact, so you can keep and use the old PS3 how you see fit. Especially convenient if you want to keep the old one around for backwards compatibility, as the newer models can't play PS1 and PS2 games.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@example1013:

I appreciate the advice. But if I buy the 12gb model, I wouldn't be able to image it over. It just wouldn't be big enough.

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By matt_f606

@cloudyimpulse: Sony Store

I only figured it out because I was looking at getting the 12Gb and upgrading the drive. I've not had a PS3 for about a year but i've been redeeming the PS plus stuff each month.

The cost starts to add up. Heres hoping theres time for one more price drop in the future.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattf87 said:

@cloudyimpulse: Sony Store

I only figured it out because I was looking at getting the 12Gb and upgrading the drive. I've not had a PS3 for about a year but i've been redeeming the PS plus stuff each month.

The cost starts to add up. Heres hoping theres time for one more price drop in the future.

So yeah I bought the 12gb model, and no tray to install the drive. And NO shop that I could find in Los Angeles sold that stupid tray. I called all over the place and nothing.

So I had to order a 3rd party tray from Amazon because even the official Sony store doesn't have any in stock. Awesome.

So in the meantime, brought my machine into work, but the HDD in the unit and have it propped up so the drive doesn't fall to the side. Downloading 14gb games in like 15 mins. Tis great. Ahhhhhhhh I love you work internet speed. I love you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.